ADVERTISEMENT

What are the biggest rivalries in local high school football?

Blue Ruin

May 16, 2019
Chicago
https://www.nytimes.com/2019/10/14/sports/best-sports-rivalries.html?action=click&module=Editors Picks&pgtype=Homepage

This article looks at some the most intense rivalries involving pro and college sports. All the usual suspects are there, including the Cards vs. the Cubs and the Packers vs. the Bears. For a rivalry to exist, it has to be fairly balanced, with both teams having an equal amount of hatred for each other. White Sox fans hate the Cubs--really, truly hate them--but the hate doesn't seem to be mutual. Rivalries often arise between teams because of their proximity to each other. An obvious example on the high school level is of course Rice and Marist. What other high schools in the area have traditional rivalries?

I don't think Carmel has a rival per se. But one of the posters here said that back in the day, when MC and JCA used to play each other regularly, and when the Carmelites from both schools got together for a yearly banquet, emotions often ran so high that fistfights would break out. That's a wonderful story, and I hope it's true. I tend to believe it because the priests when I was there didn't hesitate to administer corporal punishment. I had my head slammed into a locker more than once.

Last edited:
Neuqua and Waubonsie. All of the kids know each other from St. Raphael, Patriots, etc.

Most of these kids live in adjacent neighborhoods as well. The gerrymandering of the school lines has really made the two almost one (at least down here around 95th and 59).

Reactions: MIKEFTB and Gene K.
Although it’s hard to consider this a good rivalry when OE has yet to beat Oswego
Yeah, Oswego has been the hammer, but you can get a majority of the starters from 3 teams and 2 programs (OYTF, St Raphael), including our good friends that are at Naz and they typically played each other in the championship of their league. The two Jr QBs are close friends and played both youth football and Travel baseball together. The OE Miller and the OHS Miller are cousins. It’s a good rivalry, it’s similar to the EA/WA rivalry of my youth.

LT-HC is always fun. With such large schools they tend to show out more than others. From just being in the ESCC I’ve been exposed to the hatred of ND-Pats, at least from what I’ve been exposed to that one is probably tops in that regard.

Reactions: NickThilmany
Yeah, Oswego has been the hammer, but you can get a majority of the starters from 3 teams and 2 programs (OYTF, St Raphael), including our good friends that are at Naz and they typically played each other in the championship of their league. The two Jr QBs are close friends and played both youth football and Travel baseball together. The OE Miller and the OHS Miller are cousins. It’s a good rivalry, it’s similar to the EA/WA rivalry of my youth.
Not to mention both coaches played together at Aurora University.

I can only suspect in Oswego, it's local pride which carries into basketball and baseball seasons. It's that way between St. Charles North and St. Charles East. It was that way in the early to mid 90s between East Aurora and West Aurora. MissingWalter, some of those basketball games were pretty intense as well, we sure had great games to watch those years......one team always left devastated.

EA/WA hoops was the big rivalry. Near 5000 people in the EA gym and 1000 degrees. FTR, my 3 years at EA we were 8-1 against WA.

EA/WA hoops was the big rivalry. Near 5000 people in the EA gym and 1000 degrees. FTR, my 3 years at EA we were 8-1 against WA.
Those were/are great games.
I’ve seen only two but won’t forget them. The first was the East team with Jay Taylor, Michael Jackson and Craig Hudson. Saw Jay play a few times down at EIU. Phenomenal player. R.I.P.
The second game was at West and a guy named Corwin Hunt went off (30+ possibly) to lead West to the victory. I remember he was only about 6’2” but could damn near touch the top of the square.
Agreed, packed gym and about 1,000 degrees.

Those were/are great games.
I’ve seen only two but won’t forget them. The first was the East team with Jay Taylor, Michael Jackson and Craig Hudson. Saw Jay play a few times down at EIU. Phenomenal player. R.I.P.
The second game was at West and a guy named Corwin Hunt went off (30+ possibly) to lead West to the victory. I remember he was only about 6’2” but could damn near touch the top of the square.
Agreed, packed gym and about 1,000 degrees.
The Good old days - I was in Jr high during the Hudson, Jackson, Taylor days and played at EA during the Wyatt, Williams, Smith (RIP) and Savage days. Like was mentioned above, the rivalry was great and everyone knew each other from park courts and summer baseball.

They listen to music in between plays and jump up and down. That's about it
The Army of Darkness? They are fun! I’m so happy for the Vikings and Coach Lou. He’s such a good coach, he cares about his kids and he is a class act! I hope they make a run in 8A!

Reactions: Gene K.
They listen to music in between plays and jump up and down. That's about it
I haven't seen a truly great student section - one that actually impacts the game and gets in the heads of the opposing team - in probably 10 years. Just seems like it's not a "thing" anymore. Maybe others have seen some.

Manteno-Peotone. Traditional rivals since the beginning of sports. There are kids who go to Manteno that have Peotone addresses & phone numbers, and vice-versa. Cousins playing against each other. Coaches who are alumni of the other school. Immanuel UCC, the big church in Peotone, has a sizeable number of Manteno members, just as the big Catholic church in Manteno has a lot of Peotone members...

Do you think the Route 50 Rumble came from some marketing firm? No, it came from the propensity of Manteno & Peotone kids to rumble just off Rt. 50 at the county line road...

Hoops was epic for a few years. Manteno HC Doug Wenzel, now AD, against Peotone who's first assistant was his brother Scott Wenzel, PJH principal, with cousins on the floor. And the official scorer at Manteno? Their Dad, Ken Wenzel, Manteno's hoops HC in the 80's and AD into the mid-'90s.

I haven't seen a truly great student section - one that actually impacts the game and gets in the heads of the opposing team - in probably 10 years. Just seems like it's not a "thing" anymore. Maybe others have seen some.
LWE's was impressive during the Quarterfinal game in 2017.

Come visit Notre Dame in Niles, you won’t be disappointed

That's mostly my point. They are loud, which is good, but I wouldn't call them a great student section. At least not like 10 years ago.

The Good old days - I was in Jr high during the Hudson, Jackson, Taylor days and played at EA during the Wyatt, Williams, Smith (RIP) and Savage days. Like was mentioned above, the rivalry was great and everyone knew each other from park courts and summer baseball.
My dad worked for years with Tyrones dad down at Robinsons off Broadway. What a talent! Dude had hops!

I was more the West era of Billy Taylor, Mike Odywima-went on to practice squad with the Cowboys, Marcus Jones, Mike Simmons, I was just a few years after Kenny Battle.

Despite bring a West sider, the setting at East with bleachers on all 4 sides and center court scoreboard is unlike many others.

Reactions: missingwalter
I certainly remember Wyatt...another great player out of Aurora. I don’t recognize the other names.

Reactions: missingwalter
I don’t think they have those problems, post Boatright. Tyrone and I went grade school together through HS and even a year of JC. I still see him a bit. I know all those guys you mentioned and played with against most of them. I was at the EA hoop camp the day savage brought wyatt to EA for the first time. Martens asked if he could dunk and said Yeah. Gave him the ball and he got hung on the rim. He literally was laughed out of the gym. He, however got the last laugh.

Cary Grove vs Crystal Lake North/Preppy Ridge. Very competitive for the last 12 - 14 years. I don’t see the hatred for the most. CG holds the edge but every game is exhilarating!,

I don’t think they have those problems, post Boatright. Tyrone and I went grade school together through HS and even a year of JC. I still see him a bit. I know all those guys you mentioned and played with against most of them. I was at the EA hoop camp the day savage brought wyatt to EA for the first time. Martens asked if he could dunk and said Yeah. Gave him the ball and he got hung on the rim. He literally was laughed out of the gym. He, however got the last laugh.
Thats for sure-

Best rivalry in the Kankakee area is Mac and Herscher

The McNamara - Herscher rivalry is legendary across the board. But is it still a football rivalry? They have played only once (in 2014 Round 1) since 1988...

Admittedly, the Tigers being the team to snap Mac's Three-Peat in '88 was quite appropriate. The "Beat Mac" jersies broken out for that game caused a priceless photo. But they don't play anymore...it is now a legend.

Glenbard West vs Wheaton Warrenville South. Should open the season every year with this matchup

Hopefully they will play again soon WWS leads the series 33-30-11 which is about close as you can get after 74 games. This game always draws large crowds and is extremely physical.

WWS is scheduled to open with OPRF next year and GBW still has MS so we will see what happens after those contracts end.

Yeah hopefully it can get worked out soon. Was always a big thing in both towns. Unfortunate timing for the break in the series from a GBW perspective because they might have been able to take that lead back if the game had been played the last 5 years

Cary Grove vs Crystal Lake North/Preppy Ridge. Very competitive for the last 12 - 14 years. I don’t see the hatred for the most. CG holds the edge but every game is exhilarating!,
The hatred isn’t there because some PR kids live in Cary and played as Jr Trojans.

Yeah hopefully it can get worked out soon. Was always a big thing in both towns. Unfortunate timing for the break in the series from a GBW perspective because they might have been able to take that lead back if the game had been played the last 5 years

or they could have not dropped WWS in 2006 and they would trail by even more.......;)

Reactions: prince_of_pilfer
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT