ADVERTISEMENT

What are the biggest rivalries in local high school football?

Mt. Carmel and Leo had a rivalry that began in the 1920s and continued for as long as Leo was competitive.

I believe the earliest strong rivalry in the city was Hyde Park vs Englewood .... from the turn of the last century.

Notre Dame and Pats, both all boys separated by about 5 miles, lots of bad blood there
I think this is a dwindling rivalry. All kids from Edison Park, Norwood Park, Edgebrook, Sauganash are going ND or LA for the most part. As a Maine south guy from 20 years ago it was still vicious, I just think it has changed greatly.

Reactions: NickThilmany
Come visit Notre Dame in Niles, you won’t be disappointed
Notre Dame Basketball student section is the best you’ll ever see. In football, I agree that I haven’t seen an impactful student section in at least 10 years. Lockport early 2000’s Maine South early 2000’s Prospect mid 2000’s...night and day compared to student sections now

Mt. Carmel and Leo had a rivalry that began in the 1920s and continued for as long as Leo was competitive.

I remember Carmel and Leo playing at Shewbridge Stadium, which was near 75th and Racine, not far from Michael Kirby's ice skating rink.

Notre Dame Basketball student section is the best you’ll ever see. In football, I agree that I haven’t seen an impactful student section in at least 10 years. Lockport early 2000’s Maine South early 2000’s Prospect mid 2000’s...night and day compared to student sections now
The ND/SP basketball games are quite a spectacle to behold.

I know its not been that long of a rivalry but LWE and the Brook is always a good time. Lately LWE and HF is good as well

Reactions: NapervilleBuck
LT-HC is always fun. With such large schools they tend to show out more than others. From just being in the ESCC I’ve been exposed to the hatred of ND-Pats, at least from what I’ve been exposed to that one is probably tops in that regard.
Many moons ago it was LaGrange vs Hinsdale..

The McNamara - Herscher rivalry is legendary across the board. But is it still a football rivalry? They have played only once (in 2014 Round 1) since 1988...

Admittedly, the Tigers being the team to snap Mac's Three-Peat in '88 was quite appropriate. The "Beat Mac" jersies broken out for that game caused a priceless photo. But they don't play anymore...it is now a legend.

Regardless of the sport, still a big deal for both the schools,, volleyball and basketball fills the gym.. softball and baseball draw great crowds, even soccer does..

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT