ADVERTISEMENT

What are the biggest high school football crowds in IL in the last 20 years

Biggest crowds for games I have been at were:

NN@ WWS 1993 Reg Season
WWS @ LWE 2005 Playoffs
GBW @ WWS 2010 Playoffs

Reactions: WIU78
Way more than 20 yrs ago, the Prep Bowl used to draw upwards of 100,000 fans. In the years immediately preceding the CCL joining the IHSA in the mid 70s, Prep Bowl attendance had dropped off but was still substantially larger than anything you see these days.

Within the past 20 years, and discounting the state title games for which it is almost impossible to get a good idea of attendance at a single game, I keep hearing about attendance of around 8,000 for a JCA vs. Riverside Brookfield quarterfinal game around 15 years ago. Don't recall too many bigger than that.

Way more than 20 yrs ago, the Prep Bowl used to draw upwards of 100,000 fans. In the years immediately preceding the CCL joining the IHSA in the mid 70s, Prep Bowl attendance had dropped off but was still substantially larger than anything you see these days.

Within the past 20 years, and discounting the state title games for which it is almost impossible to get a good idea of attendance at a single game, I keep hearing about attendance of around 8,000 for a JCA vs. Riverside Brookfield quarterfinal game around 15 years ago. Don't recall too many bigger than that.

That JCA riverside game was a ton of people. However the JCA Morris games at Joliet memorial had huge crowds. The stadium holds about 9k people and I played in those and they where jammed packed.

Reactions: USD24 and Hillini74
Biggest one I was at was 2006 LWE VS MS state championship game. Ihsa official said it was the biggest corundum in state history at the time, I think it was around 14,000 c

Biggest one I was at was 2006 LWE VS MS state championship game. Ihsa official said it was the biggest corundum in state history at the time, I think it was around 14,000 c
That was a great crowd!

LA @ MS 2009

Reactions: Bowie50
About 25 years ago, Gately was fully packed for the Caravan and JCA. I don't know Gately's capacity - have heard estimates of upwards of 8k.
My guess is the first time mc/provi played would be up there at gately

In the late 50's and early 60's, Joliet Township and Joliet Catholic would open the season at Memorial Stadium, which by most accounts seats 10K.
Those games typically had that place over flowing, with people standing all around the track as well. Estimates of the crowd usually was in the 12K range and up. Still remember my dad taking me to those games. We lived maybe 10 to 15 minutes away. After those games it would take an hour to get home. Great memories. Go Hillmen!

The Disciple

The Mount Carmel vs. JCA games in the 2006 & 2007 Frank Bowl games at Soldier Field drew 14,000+

Understand that while the "City Championship Game," later to be know as "The Prep Bowl" was a major sports attraction at the time, employees of the Chicago park District (and there were thousands of them) were forced to buy ten tickets each for the game -- and they were expected to distribute them to folks who would actually attend the game. Check out, "Soldier Field: A Stadium and It's City" - a fascinating look at the stadium.

And I thought I was the only one who loved the Prep Bowl :)

Neuqua vs. Waubonsie in '12 drew 8,000 confirmed.

Central and North played at North Central College in 2000, and drew north of 6k

Neuqua vs. Waubonsie in '12 drew 8,000 confirmed.

Central and North played at North Central College in 2000, and drew north of 6k

I was at the 2012 Neuqua Waubonsie game at North Central in 2012. Yes there were a ton of people there (I would bet on the over line of the 8,000 confirmed ticket holders). Both teams were undefeated going into the game. What a great game it was!! And the rematch in the quarterfinals was also top notch.

Last edited:
Reactions: EdgyTim
When NN and NC had top teams at the same time, they would draw crowds approaching 10k. The largest was in 1993 (12k) at North Central College. NCC was the temporary home for the Chicago Fire (soccer) that year. Temporary bleachers were installed, more than doubling capacity from 5,500. More recent attendance around 5k.

I'm new to the board. But I would like to add to the post. Going back to the 1989 season finally for the CCL championship at Gatley, St. Rita beat Carmel 14-7 in front of 10,000+. What a sight to see people lined up around the perimeter of the fence about 10-12 deep. The mounted police had a good view. Plus the CFD ladder truck sitting out front. It was an electric atmosphere!!

Reactions: NNFAN
I was at the 2012 Neuqua Waubonsie game at North Central in 2012. Yes there were a ton of people there (I would bet on the over line of the 8,000 confirmed ticket holders). Both teams were undefeated going into the game. What a great game it was!! And the rematch in the quarterfinals was also top notch.

As far as regular season goes this game no question was huge and one that comes to mind for me right away

I'm new to the board. But I would like to add to the post. Going back to the 1989 season finally for the CCL championship at Gatley, St. Rita beat Carmel 14-7 in front of 10,000+. What a sight to see people lined up around the perimeter of the fence about 10-12 deep. The mounted police had a good view. Plus the CFD ladder truck sitting out front. It was an electric atmosphere!!
Welcome aboard Stangs1991, glad to have you here. Hands down, best HS football message board in Illinois.

Reactions: Stangs1991
When Reavis and St.Laurence finally got together it was a awesome crowd.However Mother Nature spoiled what could have been even bigger.As she did again the next year

The 2006 MC @ LWE semi was a crowd in the 8-10k range Great atmosphere

WV vs NV games are always a great atmosphere and huge crowds. 2012 was the best.

WV vs NV games are always a great atmosphere and huge crowds. 2012 was the best.
But my all time favorite was JCA vs Riverside. You couldn't find a parking spot for blocks. Literally 10 deep around the fence and seats were blocked off before that day even started. It's the way it should be for HS Football. Plus, I will add it was probably the best finish of all time as well. What a game!!!!

Reactions: iamthejayhawk
But my all time favorite was JCA vs Riverside. You couldn't find a parking spot for blocks. Literally 10 deep around the fence and seats were blocked off before that day even started. It's the way it should be for HS Football. Plus, I will add it was probably the best finish of all time as well. What a game!!!!
Sorry, these great game with big crowds keep coming to my mind. I attend ALOT!!!! But the Driscol game against Aurora Christian in 2008 I believe. What an atmosphere that was as well. It was Driscol's last game in their history and they had just come off 7 state championships in a row and AC knocked them off. Huge crowd that storm the field afterwards as well. Pretty cool. I'm sure I'll have more soon. Haha

I would say for me it was 2001 vs JC at Gately on a Saturday afternoon week 2.

DOS, how did that game's crowd size compare to the crowds at the '88 MC SR game on 63rd and the '89 MC SR game at Gately? Those are the two largest crowds I've seen but don't fit into the 20 year window. If that 2001 JCA game had as many people as the '89 game, that's impressive.

i was not at those. really didnt start going consistently until i started in 90

Last edited:
Reactions: RockSoup
98 MC vs PC was more crowded than 2001 vs JCA.

Too young to remember 89 game but I was there.

Rita went back to Gately the following Saturday and lost to CVS.

i have heard from old codgers at gately that the 1980 semi vs TFN was the most crowded

98 MC vs PC was more crowded than 2001 vs JCA.

Too young to remember 89 game but I was there.

Rita went back to Gately the following Saturday and lost to CVS.

Thank you for the response and knee to the groin.

One year an incredible shooting the next an incredibly battle of D!!!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT