ADVERTISEMENT

West Aurora leaving SPC

DJrodey24

Nov 3, 2003
Rick Armstrong (Beacon News) reported last night the West Aurora SD 129 School Board approved an invitation to return to the Upstate Eight. He also noted that Riverside-Brookfield, Elmwood Park and Ridgewood have also been invited. 14 members would likely split to two (2) divisions of seven (7) schools.

That leaves the Southwest Prairie Conference with 11 schools. Who should they get?

Reactions: Alexander32
By Enrollment

Big School
East Aurora 4021
West Aurora 3672
South Elgin 2692
Elgin 2582
Bartlett 2410
Glenbard East 2264
Larkin 2042

Small School
West Chicago 1979
Streamwood 1877
Riverside Brookfield 1637
Fenton 1431
Glenbard South 1156
Elmwood Park 957
Ridgewood 843

Let Minooka split
They absolutely need to. Don’t see it happening for many years sadly. Really should be 3 schools all with their own town and sense of community.

Minooka, Morris, Channahon, and Shorewood would make for a great league. Those would be some fantastic rivalries. Partner up with the four Plainfield’s even.

If the SPC needs a new member I think Kaneland may be a decent fit down the road. Would need to continue growing.

Could Dekalb be a better fit in the SPC than the DVC? Could the DVC and SPC combine into one? 17 teams, find one more, and do three divisions of 6?

Last edited:
Reactions: Gene K.
They absolutely need to. Don’t see it happening for many years sadly. Really should be 3 schools all with their own town and sense of community.

Minooka, Morris, Channahon, and Shorewood would make for a great league. Those would be some fantastic rivalries. Partner up with the four Plainfield’s even.

If the SPC needs a new member I think Kaneland may be a decent fit down the road. Would need to continue growing.

Could Dekalb be a better fit in the SPC than the DVC? Could the DVC and SPC combine into one? 17 teams, find one more, and do three divisions of 6?
Dekalb to PS and Minooka is over 50 miles

Dekalb to PS and Minooka is over 50 miles
No doubt Dekalb is in a geographic and competitive bind. The DVC was the least awful of their few options. They are about 40 miles to Naperville. SPC a little worse geographically.

I just feel the stability of the DVC is tenuous and, as long as the SPC sits at 11, they are also in a tenuous spot. I could see the oswegos or Joliets bolting for somewhere else if the right opportunity came so the other 7 need to act quickly and decisively to identify and persuade a 12th member to join that will keep all parties happy.

No doubt Dekalb is in a geographic and competitive bind. The DVC was the least awful of their few options. They are about 40 miles to Naperville. SPC a little worse geographically.

I just feel the stability of the DVC is tenuous and, as long as the SPC sits at 11, they are also in a tenuous spot. I could see the oswegos or Joliets bolting for somewhere else if the right opportunity came so the other 7 need to act quickly and decisively to identify and persuade a 12th member to join that will keep all parties happy.
Rick Armstrong (Beacon News) reported last night the West Aurora SD 129 School Board approved an invitation to return to the Upstate Eight. He also noted that Riverside-Brookfield, Elmwood Park and Ridgewood have also been invited. 14 members would likely split to two (2) divisions of seven (7) schools.

That leaves the Southwest Prairie Conference with 11 schools. Who should they get?
Had it on the EDGY Nation board over a month ago.....\along with much more potential conference shakeups coming

The Oswegos aren’t going to leave the Plainfield’s and Yorkville/Minooka.

Minooka would dominate that conference, they aren’t leaving the SPC.

So West Aurora, a massive school with 3,672 students and tons of athletes, continues to search for a conference it can be successful in. Congrats West Aurora, I think you found one. The new Upstate Eight will be one weak ass conference. Remember friends... this was the school that decided to leave the DVC five/six years ago despite having the largest enrollment. Because they got their ass kicked in pretty much everything.

• Haha
So West Aurora, a massive school with 3,672 students and tons of athletes, continues to search for a conference it can be successful in. Congrats West Aurora, I think you found one. The new Upstate Eight will be one weak ass conference. Remember friends... this was the school that decided to leave the DVC five/six years ago despite having the largest enrollment. Because they got their ass kicked in pretty much everything.
And they went to the Upstate Eight for a few years before joining the SPC. They had a couple of 9-0 seasons.

DeKalb belongs in the Upstate Eight, along with the Elgins and Bartlett. Much better fit geographically (and enrollment wise) than the DVC. And West Aurora should man up and return to the DVC, which is still short of teams.

Reactions: Cross Bones
The Oswegos aren’t going to leave the Plainfield’s and Yorkville/Minooka.
The Oswegos turned down the DVC multiple times over the years despite the fact that the Plainfields and Oswegos are a nice fit with the Naperville 203 and Indian Prairie 204 schools (Waubonsie, Metea, Neuqua).

Last edited:
Football wise, they would have been ok on
The other side of the SPC. I like that EA/WA rivalry will be renewed, being a former Tomcat.
Yeah, not sure why they stacked all of the good teams on one side, and the mostly crappy teams on the other. It's not enrollment based. Weird.

Geography I believe
And being next to Romeoville, Joliet, Plainfield if they keep it geographic that's the side of the conference we'd be in. I suppose they could move Plainfield Central over. If they were to just sub us in for West Aurora that could be interesting. But I'm still driving to Yorkville.

And being next to Romeoville, Joliet, Plainfield if they keep it geographic that's the side of the conference we'd be in. I suppose they could move Plainfield Central over. If they were to just sub us in for West Aurora that could be interesting. But I'm still driving to Yorkville.
Yorkville is the jewel of Ogden road And they’re getting turf

Minooka would dominate that conference, they aren’t leaving the SPC.
No they aren't leaving. This was in response to the comment that Minooka should split, and they should and will eventually down the road. If the Minooka district ever builds a third building in Shorewood and splits into Shorewood, Minooka, and Channahon schools, then Minooka would no longer be Minooka. It would be one third of its current self.

It's still a half a lifetime away from becoming reality, but that's the fun dream to kick around right now.

If Bolingbrook is the addition, that will be good for the SPC. Fun for basketball and football purposes.

No they aren't leaving. This was in response to the comment that Minooka should split, and they should and will eventually down the road. If the Minooka district ever builds a third building in Shorewood and splits into Shorewood, Minooka, and Channahon schools, then Minooka would no longer be Minooka. It would be one third of its current self.

It's still a half a lifetime away from becoming reality, but that's the fun dream to kick around right now.

If Bolingbrook is the addition, that will be good for the SPC. Fun for basketball and football purposes.
Indeed it would, might be a struggle in many others though. Baseball would be real tough. That being said, my window of attending more than 2-3 games a year is closing

Reactions: JCHillmen
I coach multiple sports in the DuKane. In the 4 years we've now been together, I'm not sure I've heard of a single grumble about the conference. It's incredibly balanced from a competition standpoint, and the enrollments, outside of STCE & Lake Park, are incredibly close as well.

I wonder if the DuKane members would want NC & NN as members, especially the 4 teams that left them to create the DuKane to begin with.

Reactions: ClownBaby
I coach multiple sports in the DuKane. In the 4 years we've now been together, I'm not sure I've heard of a single grumble about the conference. It's incredibly balanced from a competition standpoint, and the enrollments, outside of STCE & Lake Park, are incredibly close as well.

I wonder if the DuKane members would want NC & NN as members, especially the 4 teams that left them to create the DuKane to begin with.
When the DVC broke up the WWS, WN, GN & LP all did not want NV due to size they were content to stay as a 6 team conference and try to wait for Bat/ Gen or StE & StN to leave the U8 and join them instead they all left and formed a new conference without NN & NC. The break up of the original DVC wasn't football driven it was driven by other sports which is rare. The relationship between Wheaton and Naperville schools isn't what it once was so I don't know if the would ever take them in the DuKane.

RB should hold off. The West Suburban is going to need them in two years when Proviso East and West combine for athletics.

Silver. Gold
OPRF WB
GW. Leyden
York. Proviso
DGN. AT
DGS. Morton
Lyons. HS
HC RB

Reactions: Panthers1211
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT