ADVERTISEMENT

Week 9 forfeits/reschedules

jotapepe

Jul 20, 2021
New week for forfeits/reschedules - and hopefully the last week for these!

- Urbana's season forfeit means Danville has an open date. I think - not sure - that the Vikings will take the forfeit given that they have almost no chance of making the playoffs (3-5 and not anywhere near the playoff points they'd need at 4-5) but I've not seen any official word.
- Sullivan-OV is forfeiting to Clinton. No word on what Clinton will do. They are 1-7 and out of the playoffs.
- Vienna-Goreville is forfeiting to Fairfield. No word yet. Fairfield is 7-1 and might want to pad their playoff points. That said, free trip to 8-1 with a chance to heal up...
- Watseka is forfeiting to Iroquois West. No word; IW is 6-2.
- Argenta-Oreana is forfeiting to Arcola. Not sure what will happen. Arcola is 6-2.

And one more thing that deserves its own post...

Cahokia hosting True Divine Word, and we may remember what happened with TDW two weeks ago. Very true, and very divine. I doubt this game happens. For some insight, this was their tweet about the incident against Breese Mater Dei when they called claiming their bus broke down and had to cancel last minute:

This setup seems to have some issues.
They also replied to several people on Twitter saying it "wasn't a forfeit". Not sure what that means, but they didn't go in to further detail.

Also, according to the STLtoday's website(pretty much all local schools report their results there) TDW took on Greenville Christian of Mississippi this weekend. Greenville Christian is ranked #1 in Mississippi, yet the score reported shows TDW defeated them. There's also this article discussing how Greenville Christian couldn't find anyone to play this past weekend... https://mississippitoday.org/2021/1...an-football-mississippi-nobody-wants-to-play/

A positive note: The game is supposed to be hosted by TDW, so the bus should not be an issue

They also replied to several people on Twitter saying it "wasn't a forfeit". Not sure what that means, but they didn't go in to further detail.

Also, according to the STLtoday's website(pretty much all local schools report their results there) TDW took on Greenville Christian of Mississippi this weekend. Greenville Christian is ranked #1 in Mississippi, yet the score reported shows TDW defeated them. There's also this article discussing how Greenville Christian couldn't find anyone to play this past weekend... https://mississippitoday.org/2021/1...an-football-mississippi-nobody-wants-to-play/

A positive note: The game is supposed to be hosted by TDW, so the bus should not be an issue
Their STLtoday page also shows them having lost to Madison - on a Tuesday. Madison is a very small team and I don't think they have enough kids for a JV group, but Madison's game is not listed on the IHSA's website and I cannot find any verification on any other website for any of TDW's listed games. Can't find any film or anything. Almost seems as though these results are just made up out of thin air, although that is purely a guess and there may be some explanation that I am missing. I don't think I would trust any of those results for TDW at this time. (For what it's worth, I don't think Greenville Christian played this weekend.) I have huge questions. It would stink to see Cahokia, who is a talented group and deserves better than this, to be left out in the cold here.

Reactions: Formicidae13
The life of a vagabond independent team is interesting...I know nothing of TDW, but I have a perhaps helpful Manteno story...

When Manteno started football, the program operated year one with just a fresh-soph team who played whoever needed either a freshman or soph game. Year two in 2001, they had two teams, the freshman and the "soph/jv". But if you look on the IHSA year summaries for the Panthers, they played three games in 2001...

Even though they were a soph/jv team, they let any seniors who wanted to play participate. None of their opponents had a problem with that. But in piecing together a schedule, apparently three independents needed a varsity opponent - Nazareth was week 3, and St. Francis de Sales weeks 6 & 9. So although the Panthers did not have a "Varsity" team, they played three games against schools who considered the game a Varsity game...So the IHSA shows them having played 3 varsity games, even though they did not have a "varsity" team...

Reactions: Formicidae13
The life of a vagabond independent team is interesting...I know nothing of TDW, but I have a perhaps helpful Manteno story...

When Manteno started football, the program operated year one with just a fresh-soph team who played whoever needed either a freshman or soph game. Year two in 2001, they had two teams, the freshman and the "soph/jv". But if you look on the IHSA year summaries for the Panthers, they played three games in 2001...

Even though they were a soph/jv team, they let any seniors who wanted to play participate. None of their opponents had a problem with that. But in piecing together a schedule, apparently three independents needed a varsity opponent - Nazareth was week 3, and St. Francis de Sales weeks 6 & 9. So although the Panthers did not have a "Varsity" team, they played three games against schools who considered the game a Varsity game...So the IHSA shows them having played 3 varsity games, even though they did not have a "varsity" team...
And that may be something like the story here. Part of the problem is that Manteno appears to have done things above the board. Here, TDW has a bunch of listed games without any verification that any of them happened, weird Twitter posts denying the forfeit, complete failure to explain things, no website or other press, no tape... the lack of information is the hard part. Feels like we're being gaslighted.

Reactions: PanthersWildcats86
On to actual results... Fairfield is taking the Vienna-Goreville forfeit and finishes the regular season at 8-1, with a bye week to boot.

Maine East hasn’t played in two weeks bc of numbers. Wonder if they play this week

IHSA is recognizing TDW loss to Breese Mater Dei so I assume they will also recognize this week as a win for Cahokia. Cahokia is my pick to represent the south in the 4A championship game. They are that good.

Edit: IHSA is showing Cahokia in the playoffs as the South Seven Conference representative. As they should be as they pounded everyone they played.

• Haha
Reactions: net-se
IHSA is recognizing TDW loss to Breese Mater Dei so I assume they will also recognize this week as a win for Cahokia. Cahokia is my pick to represent the south in the 4A championship game. They are that good.

Edit: IHSA is showing Cahokia in the playoffs as the South Seven Conference representative. As they should be as they pounded everyone they played.
I would disagree purely because of SHG in that bracket, but otherwise I agree with you. What a fun game Cahokia-SHG would be. I would favor the home team, whichever that would be.

Reactions: dcaudle68
I would disagree purely because of SHG in that bracket, but otherwise I agree with you. What a fun game Cahokia-SHG would be. I would favor the home team, whichever that would be.
Seen a few brackets showing it as a first round game. Would be fun and speed all over the field.

Arcola is taking the forfeit win over Argenta-Oreana and will finish the regular season 7-2. (They are a bit banged up and have had some kids out due to COVID, so a week off makes sense.)
Appears that Iroquois West and Clinton will play each other. Props to them, especially to Iroquois West, who is traveling to a significantly larger school when they could've very easily sat and taken the forfeit.
Danville's paper said they are accepting the forfeit. I get it - I also wonder if they wouldn't have wanted a home game to close things out.

Arcola is taking the forfeit win over Argenta-Oreana and will finish the regular season 7-2. (They are a bit banged up and have had some kids out due to COVID, so a week off makes sense.)
Appears that Iroquois West and Clinton will play each other. Props to them, especially to Iroquois West, who is traveling to a significantly larger school when they could've very easily sat and taken the forfeit.
Danville's paper said they are accepting the forfeit. I get it - I also wonder if they wouldn't have wanted a home game to close things out.
Thank you @jotapepe for doing this all season. Very informative

At least St. Francis isn't having to search for a game again this week. 😂

just curious, where are you located? i'm amazed at all the info you find.
In the Quad Cities. It's really not too difficult - I keep a season-long spreadsheet and update things as I go along. Twitter is a surprisingly helpful resource once you know where to look.

Reactions: RockSoup
And from their parent organization (which runs their educational operations - I believe they offer curriculum support to homeschool students, and also some on-site schooling, though it is very difficult to tell):

• Haha
Maine East may as well have been a forfeit for the last 30 years! Great school, tons of history, melting pot of the area, but bad football teams! And yes I spent 4 great years there!
Did you play there?

Just moments ago Georgetown Ridge Farm forfeited their week 9 game with Westville
Thank you for the info! Tough for G-RF, who had already forfeited Week 1 and wasn't competitive in any game this year. This is a trophy game, too. Hate to see a forfeit Week 9. Westville won't complain about a free win, though. They are low on playoff points so that win, with time to heal coming off a loss last week, is helpful.

And from their parent organization (which runs their educational operations - I believe they offer curriculum support to homeschool students, and also some on-site schooling, though it is very difficult to tell):

I replied asking for an address for the football game on Saturday. Does that constitute harassment?

• Haha
read their twiter. That's what they think.
I live a few minutes from Cahokia, I have followed them all year and think they have a good shot at playing for the 4A title. Don't you think as Cahokia fans we would like to know how to get to the game?

I wonder if Cahokia will try to schedule a new game. At this point no one has an opening (unless one of the teams that has decided to accept a forfeit changes its mind), but that could change. Cahokia has already clinched a playoff spot and even a loss wouldn't hurt them much since they are low on playoff points, and they might see a chance to get playoff points and not have a bye-week-related layoff. They'd probably prefer a week to get healthy - I have no inside information but I'm sure they are banged up like every other team at this point in the season.

I wonder if Cahokia will try to schedule a new game. At this point no one has an opening (unless one of the teams that has decided to accept a forfeit changes its mind), but that could change. Cahokia has already clinched a playoff spot and even a loss wouldn't hurt them much since they are low on playoff points, and they might see a chance to get playoff points and not have a bye-week-related layoff. They'd probably prefer a week to get healthy - I have no inside information but I'm sure they are banged up like every other team at this point in the season.
I look for them to take the win and prepare for the playoffs, they are likely to have a tough 8-1 or 9-0 opponent.

I look for them to take the win and prepare for the playoffs, they are likely to have a tough 8-1 or 9-0 opponent.
Agreed. Soucie has them playing SHG in the first round... basically a state semi in the first round.

Just saw a bracket with Cahokia playing at Breese Central in the first round. The bracket has Central as the 1 seed and Cahokia as the 16. What bad news for Breese Central. If that is the game they will get beaten by 40 plus and there will be a running clock.

Just saw a bracket with Cahokia playing at Breese Central in the first round. The bracket has Central as the 1 seed and Cahokia as the 16. What bad news for Breese Central. If that is the game they will get beaten by 40 plus and there will be a running clock.
All.... I believe a coin toss will be involved between two teams which determines who play the Comanches. Ratsy

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT