ADVERTISEMENT

Week 8 CPL Pick Em: No Easy Way Out

Thereturnofcmonman

Oct 4, 2019
We're not indestructible (unless you're Clark). Baby better get that straight. I think it's unbelievable, how the toilets are broke again. Some things are worth fighting for (like Gately dogs). Some feelings never die (unlike the grass at Stagg). I'm not asking for another chance (unless you lost last week), I just wanna know why.

There's no easy way out (of the parking lot at Rockne). There's no shortcut home (through the Saturday 10:00 AM traffic), there's no easy way out, Winning big can't be wrong!

I don't wanna pacify you(I wanna punch you in the mouth), I don't wanna drag you down (that'd be a 15 yard personal foul), but I'm feeling like a prisoner, like a stranger in a no named stadium. I see all the angry faces (we are out of hot dogs), afraid that could be you and me (let's go get some rib tips!), talking about what might have been (if we went to Eckersall), thinkin about what it used to be (no TURF!!!)

There's no easy way out (of the parking lot at Rockne). There's no shortcut home (through the Saturday 10:00 AM traffic), there's no easy way out, Winning big can't be wrong!

Baby baby, we can shed this stench (of dead bodies below the fields), we can know how it feels inside (the locker room with no heat), instead of goin down an endless road (all roads lead to Winnemac), not knowing if the scoreboard will work (at Lane). Some things are worth fighting for (like Gately dogs). Some feelings never die (unlike the grass at Stagg). I'm not asking for another chance (unless you lost last week), I just wanna know why.

On to this week's picks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Al Raby Raiders @ Bulls Prep Bulls: Saturday, 4:00 at Rockne
The Chicago Bulls theme was done by the Alan Parsons Project. My favorite song by them is Games People Play. "Games People Play, you take it or you leave it. Things that they say are not right (most CPS scoreboards). If I promise you the moon and the stars (if the lights go out), would you believe it? Games people play in the middle of the night." Love the APP, love the Bulls. Bulls get a big win!

Hyde Park Thunderbirds @ Brooks Eagles: Friday, 7:15 at Brooks
Blame it all on my roots (of the weeds), I showed up in boots (no spikes), and ruined your black tie affair (boy I wish refs wore ties). The last one to know (if there is a forfeit), the last one to show, I was the last one you thought you'd see there (I was supposed to be at Eckersall but they have no lights). And I saw the surprise and the fear in his eyes, when I kicked the ball into the endzone. I toasted you because it may go through, the uprights and hear them complain (because they lost the ball). If you got friends in low places, you'll take Garth Brooks and the Eagles on Friday.

Ag Science Cyclones @ Catalyst Maria Wolves: Thursday, 3:45 at Stagg
I saw the CM Wolves roll up with a flag in their hand, walking through the grass of Stagg in the rain. They were looking for the place called THE END ZONE. To find that green grass again! Ah-hoo, Wolves will be rollin! Ah-hoo! Ah-hoo, Wolves will be rollin! Ah-hoo

Hansberry Bengals @ Richards Warriors: Saturday, 1:00 at Stagg
I see a brown spot and I want it painted green. No colors anymore, I want them to come back. I see the refs walk by, dressed in their winter clothes. I have to turn my head, because no yard markers are shown. I see a line of cars (all two) and they are waiting back, back in the parking lot, until that rain never comes back. I've seen people turn their heads and quickly look away (as toilets overflow), like a small gain on the play, it happens every day! Take Keith Richards in a rout!

Kelly Trojans @ Tilden Blue Devils: Friday, 3:45 at Stagg
I believe I can fly (the ball doesn't on kickoffs), I believe I could touch the sky (run the damn ball), I think about it every night and day (watch that game film), throw the flags and go away (boo the refs!), I believe I can soar (Tilden will be sore), I see them running through that open hole (all day Kelly!), I believe I can fly (why are we throwing), I believe I can fly (let's complete a pass). Take Kelly to win with a huge dose of the ground game.

Clark Eagles @ Payton Grizzlies: Friday, 4:15 at Lane
Time to bust out the discography of a classic 60's music group. When Clark beats Payton into little bitty bits and pieces, that'll make some people glad all over. Here we come again, oooh, catch us if you can (Payton won't do it). If there's one thing I won't do, I won't make the mistake over and over again. Take the Dave Clark Five because, because they run the ball!

Collins Warriors @ Gage Park Owls: Saturday, 4:00 at Stagg
I can smell it coming in the air today(get your nachos with hot peppers and cheese). Oh lord. And I've been waiting for this moment for all my life. Can you smell it (the sweet aroma of hot dogs) coming in the air today. Take Phil Collins to dominate!

Crane Cougars @ Rowe Clark Masai Lions: Saturday, 1:00 at Rockne
It's the moment of truth, you're giving it all (to see where the ball should be spotted with no numbers). Standing alone and willing to fall (ouch that hurts on the hard dirt at Rockne). If you can do it, get up and prove it, get up and show them where you are (since the refs can't see it). Take the Karate Kid and the Crane Kick to win by 30.

Game of the Week: Harlan Falcons @ Washington Patriots: Eckersall, Friday at 3:45
Mr. President, you asked to see me? I know you're busy, what do you need sir? I need you to take care of business this week, and beat Harlan into submission. Washington wins by 40!

October makes me think of 3 things. Pumpkin Spice, Apple Picking, and CPL Playoffs! It's the last week of the regular season. Grab your Granny Smiths and get on with the picks!

Al Raby Raiders @ Bulls Prep Bulls: Saturday, 4:00 at Rockne
Not a lot of good mojo around teams named the Raiders right now. I'm just going to stick with the Bulls.
Bulls!

Hyde Park Thunderbirds @ Brooks Eagles: Friday, 7:15 at Brooks
Haven't had a CPL Pick 'em game on the Smurf Turf in awhile! Nothing looks as good under the lights as the Brooks field...until the migrating Canada Geese start trying to land midway through the third quarter. Best case, they notice a game is going on...worst case, things get a little slippery if you know what I mean. No matter. Grab your poo bags and get ready for a big Brooks W!
Brooks!

Ag Science Cyclones @ Catalyst Maria Wolves: Thursday, 3:45 at Stagg
Big horror movie vibe with this one. Big storms and scary monsters are a couple seriously scary standbys in the movie business. Glad they scheduled this one at 3:45 on a Thursday, otherwise it might be too much of a horror show to watch. (maniacal laughter)
Cyclones!

Hansberry Bengals @ Richards Warriors: Saturday, 1:00 at Stagg
I once had a coworker with the last name Hansberry. Dude always had a ziplock bag of grapes on his desk. Never saw him eat one of those grapes, yet that bag was always there. Still not sure it wasn't the same grapes. In the same bag... gross.
Richards!

Kelly Trojans @ Tilden Blue Devils: Friday, 3:45 at Stagg
The Blue Devils are French soldiers in cool blue capes that fought in the Alps during World War 1. The Trojans crossed the Agean Sea to lay siege to Troy. My money is on the guys with boats.
Tilden

Clark Eagles @ Payton Grizzlies: Friday, 4:15 at Lane
This one is for all the marbles in the conference. Coach Percy Guarantees victory. Last year in the same type of game against Whitney Young, Coach Percy guaranteed victory, Michelle couldn't get it done, and Whitney won the conference. Coach, I wish you the best of luck. Win this one, and I'll be a believer. Until then...
Give me the Bears!

Collins Warriors @ Gage Park Owls: Saturday, 4:00 at Stagg
Who? Fenger!!!

Crane Cougars @ Rowe Clark Masai Lions: Saturday, 1:00 at Rockne
I feel like the second Karate Kid was released, Crane should have changed their nickname to the Kicks. What a cool helmet sticker that would be...NO MERCY!!
Crane!

Game of the Week: Harlan Falcons @ Washington Patriots: Eckersall, Friday at 3:45
Harlan played 2 games...then forfeited 4 in a row before playing last week. That is the most CPL thing of CPL things. Naturally, this means they are going to win this week.
Harlan!!

Last edited:
So much left to be decided in conferences with playoff spots on the line. I've decided to roll snob status and only pick those games. We've reached the Autumn Wind let leaves and conference chips fall...

Hyde Park Thunderbirds vs Brooks Eagles: Friday, 7:15 at Brooks
All bird matchup on the great lake of Brooks stadium? Things could get messy here quick, expect Brooks to show that Eagles are the superior bird, because 'Merica of course. Brooks punches their ticket to dance in the CPL playoffs!

Clark Eagles vs Payton Grizzlies: Friday, 4:15 at Lane
So much 'Merica in an Eagles/Grizzly matchup we need to find a new angle? That angle you ask, is clearly the Clark rushing attack always slanted down field. Give me Coach Percy to get his wish and play up next year, pre-emptive congrats coach.

Amundsen vs Sullivan: Friday 3:45 at Winnemac
Two conference championship matches before 7 on a Friday, oh my sweet CPS, how glorious you are! I'm going to hit the Rail early and get a good 3 hours of pregame before heading over to this beauty of a matchup. But for the game itself, let's take a deeper look, Sullivan claims its a business school. All Business means Amundsen could be in trouble, but... when you go to Amundsen's website you know what is super prominent in their scrolling campus photos? The VIOLIN, which seems kind of soft and immediately makes you think they are done, but then it dawns on you that CPS isn't some fancy orchestra no sir, it's a damn battle. And when there's a battle those aren't violins, they're fiddles! If Charlie Daniels taught else anything it's that Amundsen and their fiddle is the best that's ever been. Amundsen goes down to Georgia (the CPL playoff!)

North Lawndale vs Prosser Saturday 1:00 at Lane
Fall is the perfect time to get that lawn really going. Those warmish days followed by cools nights are ripe for rapid growth and primed to set you up for a healthy lawn, NEXT YEAR. Prosser had been rolling until getting off track last week. Look for them to apply the fertilizer and have North Lawndale ready for next season. Prosser with the upset!

The Real Game of the Week: Carver vs Julian: Friday 7:15 at Gately
Carver Military, salute them all. Julian doesn't stand a chance!

BONUS PICK OF THE WEEK!!!
SCHURZ VS VON STEUBEN 3:45 TODAY @ WINNEMAC

Call me a sucker, but I love the early Thursday game at Winnemac. Beautiful park. Trees starting to change color. Crisp autumn air....
Von has been hot and cold this season. Win big. Lose big. Schurz, well, they've just been cold. As @thecpsblog likes say, it Schurzly doesn't matter today! No one loves a park like a Dog!!
Schurz in the upset!

Reactions: thecpsblog
BONUS PICK OF THE WEEK!!!
SCHURZ VS VON STEUBEN 3:45 TODAY @ WINNEMAC

Call me a sucker, but I love the early Thursday game at Winnemac. Beautiful park. Trees starting to change color. Crisp autumn air....
Von has been hot and cold this season. Win big. Lose big. Schurz, well, they've just been cold. As @thecpsblog likes say, it Schurzly doesn't matter today! No one loves a park like a Dog!!
Schurz in the upset!
Great point, Ghost. Schurzly I won't miss the opportunity to highlight that there are 8 CPL games today and most importantly 6, that's right 6! 3:45/4:15 kicks!!!! Oh baby is that smoking hot action...

For my weekly Bonus Pick I'll go to the battle of ashes as the Little Village (People) Phoenix takes on the Phoenix Firecats. I know what you're thinking that's even more heat with all that fire, but don't worry with Phoenix it's a dry heat. Take the People to walk away from this inferno!

Reactions: GhostOfTheGhhost
Friday Bonus Pick!!!!!!!!
Solorio Sun Warriors vs. CVS Cavaliers: Friday, 4:15 at Gately

Kenwood vs. Simeon is probably getting the most hype at Gately this weekend, but the lead-in game is the game that everyone should be talking about today.

"When I woke up, the rain was pouring down (on a sunny day at Gately), there were people standing all around (they stole my Gately dogs!). Something warm flowing through my eyes (a working scoreboard), but somehow I found my baby that night (she had went to the bathroom). I lifted her head, she looked at me and said. I'll take Solorio for a little while. I held her close and kissed her our last kiss, then she whispered take C....VS. I found the love, I knew I had missed (watching CPL football at 4:15). Well now she's gone even though I hold her tight, I lost my love and stomach that night (oh boy, the Gately dogs aren't good for my ulcer).

For those people as old as I am, that great classic is by J. Frank Wilson and the Cavaliers. You must love people that go by J. (no first name needed) and you must love bands named the Cavaliers. CVS wins big today!

Friday Bonus Pick!!!!!!!!
Solorio Sun Warriors vs. CVS Cavaliers: Friday, 4:15 at Gately

Kenwood vs. Simeon is probably getting the most hype at Gately this weekend, but the lead-in game is the game that everyone should be talking about today.

"When I woke up, the rain was pouring down (on a sunny day at Gately), there were people standing all around (they stole my Gately dogs!). Something warm flowing through my eyes (a working scoreboard), but somehow I found my baby that night (she had went to the bathroom). I lifted her head, she looked at me and said. I'll take Solorio for a little while. I held her close and kissed her our last kiss, then she whispered take C....VS. I found the love, I knew I had missed (watching CPL football at 4:15). Well now she's gone even though I hold her tight, I lost my love and stomach that night (oh boy, the Gately dogs aren't good for my ulcer).

For those people as old as I am, that great classic is by J. Frank Wilson and the Cavaliers. You must love people that go by J. (no first name needed) and you must love bands named the Cavaliers. CVS wins big today!
I've found that guys that go by one initial are always a bit shady. Speaking of which, the Solorio Sun SHADE Warriors will block out all the CVS Defensive pressure, (and harmful UV Rays) on their way to victory!
Take Solorio!

Payton 17- Michelle 16.@CoachPercy, sounds like you played tough, but couldn’t get it done….again. Good luck next year, coach.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT