ADVERTISEMENT

Week 4 Pick Em: Loyola at Brother Rice

So who wins Week 4

• Loyola Academy

Votes: 59 77.6%
  • Brother Rice

Votes: 17 22.4%

• Total voters
Mike O’Brien reporting that Maldonado broke his collarbone on his last carry. What a damn shame.
That's 6-8 weeks....hopefully back for playoffs because if he hurt it on the last play after a game like that, thats gut wrenching.

Better be 100% certain if you’re going to throw a flag for 15 yard face mask at that stage of the game. Play is at the 3:14:16 mark of the BR game video on their YouTube. They do a slow replay too.

Better be 100% certain if you’re going to throw a flag for 15 yard face mask at that stage of the game. Play is at the 3:14:16 mark of the BR game video on their YouTube. They do a slow replay too.
Twitter had a good view, he took his helmet off but not a facemask. I got some good friends who ref, I know it's hard, these guy make less for a nights work then a kid working at Culvers, they aren't professionals. That being said, in a game like this, you have to at least have a meeting and make sure nobody else saw it differently, if nobody else did and you aren't certain, waive it off.

To me the key factors in the loss include:
* 41 seconds in first half and we decide to call a squib quick it instead of deep kick. We give loyola ball on 32 instead of 20. LA goes down and kicks FG and takes momentum into half
* 2 turnovers vs 0 for Loyola - the fumble deep in Loyola territory when rice was driving. So instead of possible 21-7 rice lead it goes wrong way to 15-14.
* Poor tackling overall.
* Poor contain by DEs
* Not having 2 key DL starters.
* LA OL deserves game ball. Lausch and Maldonado close 2nds

Reactions: crusaderpride
Twitter had a good view, he took his helmet off but not a facemask. I got some good friends who ref, I know it's hard, these guy make less for a nights work then a kid working at Culvers, they aren't professionals. That being said, in a game like this, you have to at least have a meeting and make sure nobody else saw it differently, if nobody else did and you aren't certain, waive it off.
Do you have a link to the Twitter video? I won’t go on there anymore. Deleted the app. If you’re saying Sepulveda grabbed inside the helmet (even if it wasn’t the face mask), then it technically would be a face mask. Not sure on 5 or 15. I screen recorded the video and slowed it way down and it’s really hard to tell. It’s a shame because he really didn’t need to tackle Stearney like that.

You think anyone from Wilmette would want to live there? Aren’t you a detective? Check the patterns, lot of burglaries over there of late.
My man, it was just an observation....they live in a beautiful historic home that many I'm sure would love to live in. And yes I am a Detective, but in Homicide, not RBT, but they call that area Candyland, easy pickings. Doesn't make the home any less impressive.

I poke my fun, but in all seriousness there are also a lot of Chicago Cop, Fire and City workers that attend Loyola that live in the Edison Park/Portage Park neighborhood, very similar to Mt. Greenwood, not at all privileged.

Do you have a link to the Twitter video? I won’t go on there anymore. Deleted the app. If you’re saying Sepulveda grabbed inside the helmet (even if it wasn’t the face mask), then it technically would be a face mask. Not sure on 5 or 15. I screen recorded the video and slowed it way down and it’s really hard to tell. It’s a shame because he really didn’t need to tackle Stearney like that.
It was a response on Mike O'Brien from the Sun Times Tweet saying how the game ended. The poster showed the clip from Comcast Game of the Week coverage. #11 grabbed the back of the helmet and when they landed, it came off. Not sure if he pulled it when he was coming down or if it came off on the landing, spur of the moment judgement call.

A few observations on this game...

I only watched the second half, but that was an incredible half of football played by two very good teams. Really entertaining.

You rarely see Loyola in a shootout. I'm glad they showed they could hang in a game like that.

You also rarely see Loyola first teamers play a full game. That's great for second and third teamers, but I was encouraged to see the first team performing well late in the game.

Sorry to hear about Maldonado. He's a workhorse. Next man up!

Also sorry to see a game like that end with LA taking a knee after being on the favorable end of a questionable call. Would much rather have watched them go for it on fourth and long or even punt it away and take their chances against Lausch and company with BR having no time outs and around a minute left deep in their own territory.

Lausch is a thoroughbred.

My man, it was just an observation....they live in a beautiful historic home that many I'm sure would love to live in. And yes I am a Detective, but in Homicide, not RBT, but they call that area Candyland, easy pickings. Doesn't make the home any less impressive.

I poke my fun, but in all seriousness there are also a lot of Chicago Cop, Fire and City workers that attend Loyola that live in the Edison Park/Portage Park neighborhood, very similar to Mt. Greenwood, not at all privileged.
...and Rogers Park, Edgewater, Jefferson Park, Ravenswood, etc.

Yes, there are a lot of Loyola kids from wealthy North Shore and city families. There are also lots of kids from families like you described. Posts that imply that Loyola is all white collar or even predominantly composed of kids from wealthy families are highly inaccurate. Equally inaccurate are posts that depict schools like Rice as being all blue collar or having no kids from wealthy families.

Last edited:
...and Rogers Park, Edgewater, Jefferson Park, Ravenswood, etc.

Yes, there are a lot of Loyola kids from wealthy North Shore and city families. There are also lots of kids from families like you described. Posts that imply that Loyola is all white collar or even predominantly composed of kids from wealthy families are highly inaccurate. Equally inaccurate are posts that depict schools like Rice as being all blue collar or having no kids from wealthy families.

Ramblinman
I agree with you on this. The chant is obviously kids being kids thing. I still don’t understand what it has to do with football or the players on a team.
Being wealthy or not doesn’t automatically translate to wins or talent. I have seen plenty of wealthy areas where the team flat out sucks year after year.

Reactions: lookoutforliam
Ramblinman
I agree with you on this. The chant is obviously kids being kids thing. I still don’t understand what it has to do with football or the players on a team.
Being wealthy or not doesn’t automatically translate to wins or talent. I have seen plenty of wealthy areas where the team flat out sucks year after year.
The chant was a response to something the LA students were chanting. All in good fun. This has gone off the tracks. I think we can move on from this now. Great game!

35 points in 2018 and 43 points last night, in all seriousness BR has their number offensively! In the last 20 years has LA ever let up that many points in any other games? I’m betting no.

Reactions: lookoutforliam
What a game. Maldonado is a beast. He will be back. Lausch is a special player. IL is getting a very nice player in Boyer. Who would of thought this would be a shoot out? That long strange trip south on a Friday is tough....hats off to the Crusaders and best of luck the rest of the way.

35 points in 2018 and 43 points last night, in all seriousness BR has their number offensively! In the last 20 years has LA ever let up that many points in any other games? I’m betting no.
Wow....I think you are correct. Marist put up 41 on them two years ago, but has to be 20 years since that many points allowed. You headed to soph game today? Curious to see how Jakes comes out.

You haven't been paying attention. MC will beat at least one, maybe both.

MC is multidimensional. Every week it's a different player, offense or defense, who shows up. I can see both LA and MC undefeated when they meet on 10/22.
And MC has both of these teams at Mt. Carmel. Doesn’t necessarily mean MC wins but home field definitely helps. I’d rather be at hime than on the road! Go Carmel!

Sounds about right for brother rice. Also it's to bad that this will be a discussion after such a good game by the kids. because the adults lack sportsmanship.

Reactions: MC2023
Sounds about right for brother rice. Also it's to bad that this will be a discussion after such a good game by the kids. because the adults lack sportsmanship.
I removed the post. It appears Loyola knew beforehand about the locker room situation as BR does have strict Covid protocols. I’d say the only controversy would have been the BR employee denying the entire situation.

As far as letting the entire stadium pile into the building due to lightning. What else was BR to do? Leave people outside to be struck? That’s a no win situation hats off to Rice for obviously doing the right thing.

I removed the post. It appears Loyola knew beforehand about the locker room situation as BR does have strict Covid protocols. I’d say the only controversy would have been the BR employee denying the entire situation.

As far as letting the entire stadium pile into the building due to lightning. What else was BR to do? Leave people outside to be struck? That’s a no win situation hats off to Rice for obviously doing the right thing.
Michael O’Brien from the Times likes to rattle cages sometimes. He Tweeted this and got everyone relied up. It was not a newsworthy or even a social media worthy story. It’s something a disgruntled fan would tweet not the prep writer from one of Chicago’s major publications. If BR doesn’t want to let teams in, pandemic or not, it’s their school and their right not to do it.

I will add….. We’ve played many grammar school football games at BR through the years. The idea is to allow grammar school families access to your facilities which is basically a recruiting tool for these Catholic schools. BR was the only one that denied access to bathroom facilities leaving our 75 year old parents to use dark porta-potties. I hear things are better these days.

Michael O’Brien from the Times likes to rattle cages sometimes. He Tweeted this and got everyone relied up. It was not a newsworthy or even a social media worthy story. It’s something a disgruntled fan would tweet not the prep writer from one of Chicago’s major publications. If BR doesn’t want to let teams in, pandemic or not, it’s their school and their right not to do it.
Mike O’Brien stirring the pot? Pot meet kettle because this entire platform is all about stirring the pot. Lol. Or is he held to a higher standard?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT