ADVERTISEMENT

Week 1 Games Of Note/Interest

guerinfbfan

Sep 25, 2005
Just went over the week 1 set of games on IHSA.org and these are the matchups that caught my eye for week 1 (in order of appearance on the weekly IHSA list)

St. Joseph-Ogden @ Monticello
Maroa-Forsyth @ Athens
Salt Fork @ Westville
Batavia @ Glenbard West
Chicago Hope Academy @ Wilmington
Kenwood Academy @ St. Francis
Morgan Park @ Marist
St. Patrick @ Notre Dame (Niles)
Edwardsville @ Glenwood
Homewood-Flosmoor @ Bolingbrook
Hinsdale Central @ Naperville Central
Kankakee @ Nazareth Academy
Kaneland @ Washington
Metamora @ Sterling
Prospect @ Lyons Township
Naperville North @ New Trier
Providence Catholic @ Wheaton North
Fenwick @ Oak Park-River Forest
Maine South @ Lincoln-Way East
The Hun School of Princeton @ Mt. Carmel
Quincy @ Quincy Notre Dame
Rochester @ Simeon Academy
Scared Heart-Griffin @ Christian Brothers
Newman Central Catholic @ Princeton
Loyola Academy @ East St. Louis

All.... And the computer* says! Ratsy (*fwiw)

Massey -

Rochester 42 Simeon 14 (90%)
SHG 35 Simeon 15 (80%)
Chatham 28 Simeon 21 (62%)
Simeon 27 MacArthur 22 (57%)

Am I missing something here?

Are the majority of people just assuming Rochester will lose to Simeon? This makes me laugh so hard. Rochester is going to spank Simeon. Slaughterhouse. Wood shed. RC. Keep the bus running.
LOL I don't think the majority of people are assuming Rochester will lose, but I do think playing Simeon on a hot Saturday afternoon at Gately is no cake walk.

LOL I don't think the majority of people are assuming Rochester will lose, but I do think playing Simeon on a hot Saturday afternoon at Gately is no cake walk.
Good points and Simeon may be a preseason Top Ten in 6A. Also throw in an early 3-hour bus ride, 4 new starters on the Rocket O-Line when Week 1 often sees more holding and false start flags, and a mostly new defense as issues which urge a little caution here.

Good points and Simeon may be a preseason Top Ten in 6A. Also throw in an early 3-hour bus ride, 4 new starters on the Rocket O-Line when Week 1 often sees more holding and false start flags, and a mostly new defense as issues which urge a little caution here.
Chris Burgess is a beast, Rivals currently has him as the #37 player overall and one of the top D-linemen, tough guy to go against in game 1.

Am I missing something here?

Are the majority of people just assuming Rochester will lose to Simeon? This makes me laugh so hard. Rochester is going to spank Simeon. Slaughterhouse. Wood shed. RC. Keep the bus running.
Based on what?

I’m giving kudos to a 4a program traveling 3 hours to the inner city to play a 6a traditionally very strong program. Think this is a very intriguing matchup and look forward to seeing how Rochester’s offense does against Simeon’s defense.

Dont forget, last year Simeon’s coach resigned late and they had an interim HC for the season. They now have a rockstar of a coach from Kenwood.

I just hope the game is better than the hyped Kenwood/LWE opener from last season at Gately where the latter won 52-12.

Reactions: McEvergreen
Based on what?

I’m giving kudos to a 4a program traveling 3 hours to the inner city to play a 6a traditionally very strong program. Think this is a very intriguing matchup and look forward to seeing how Rochester’s offense does against Simeon’s defense.

Dont forget, last year Simeon’s coach resigned late and they had an interim HC for the season. They now have a rockstar of a coach from Kenwood.
I'm hearing ya... like I'm comprehending it also... like I want to buy in to what you're saying... Just can't...

Rockets by 30+, DL thanks Simeon publicly for the tune-up before Ritter. Another case of "we're bigger therefore we can compete" syndrome. Rockets could compete for 6A titles in many years.

• Wow
Reactions: cigaros
I'm hearing ya... like I'm comprehending it also... like I want to buy in to what you're saying... Just can't...

Rockets by 30+, DL thanks Simeon publicly for the tune-up before Ritter. Another case of "we're bigger therefore we can compete" syndrome. Rockets could compete for 6A titles in many years.
Or maybe Rochester is a tune up for Simeon before they take on semifinalist Chicago Hope ;)

If the spread is 30 for Rochester...I'll take action on that. I'm as big of a fan of Rochester as anyone not from Rochester but don't think they win by 30. They only return 2 starts on each side of the ball.

Or maybe Rochester is a tune up for Simeon before they take on semifinalist Chicago Hope ;)

If the spread is 30 for Rochester...I'll take action on that. I'm as big of a fan of Rochester as anyone not from Rochester but don't think they win by 30. They only return 2 starts on each side of the ball.
The reload. Every single year. Without fail. The surest thing we have in Illinois. Rochester will be great.

Speaking of Hope, they travel to defending state champ Wilmington week one. Talk about an interesting match up 💥🔥💥

All.... Another Saturday game that might be worth a look although the RedHawks will be out for blood this year after that freaky 2023 season.

Morgan Park @ Marist. The CPL doesn't get a lot of love but the Mustangs arguably are the creme of the crop in that massive Red Conference. Kenwood and Young nipping at the heels though. I think Marist whacks them hard but there will be quite a bit of talent on the field. Both sides....

Would like to hear thoughts from the loyal group of CPL followers who frequent this board often. Ratsy

Last edited:
Reactions: Jenny27
Based on what?

Plus Rochester does not travel well to Chicago. Ie Loyola.

I'd love to see Rochester play Byron in week 1 at ISU.

Plus Rochester does not travel well to Chicago. Ie Loyola.

I'd love to see Rochester play Byron in week 1 at ISU.
It would be cool to see Byron play another year in/year out school to start the season. Sadly they are in a locked conference.

Reactions: colin2229
I'll say it now...Byron needs to play up this year.

Running clocked 14/15 games last year. They would be the heavy favorite out of 4a north and provide a great matchup vs Rochester for the 4 footer.

Please make it happen coach.
All.... Byron can't. That is not how it works. When a school petitions up it has to be at the beginning of the new two year enrollment average cycle. It is for two seasons as well. The Tigers could petition up with the start of the 2025-2026 season. Ratsy

Couldn't you say the same about Rochester most years?
Keep this is mind while reading the rest of the post ➡️➡️➡️➡️ Byron returns a ton from last years team.

Byron outscored their playoff opponents 57-6 and won the title game by 63pts. Rochester’s never done that. Seems like Rochester always loses a ton but reloads.

Most years Rochester has a team or two that will challenge them out of the south and a great matchup for the title. Doesn’t make sense for Rochester to play up with SHG waiting for them each year in the playoffs.

I was under the impression you could petition up during the season. Appears I’m wrong. That sounds like a dumb rule to me.

Last edited:
When the season ends Thanksgiving weekend, imo teams should have until December 31st to petition up for the next year. If that means a two year commitment, so be it.

Reactions: AlabamaTimberwolf
When the season ends Thanksgiving weekend, imo teams should have until December 31st to petition up for the next year. If that means a two year commitment, so be it.
I just don’t get the two year commitment component. Why not let them just take it one year at a time?

Reactions: McEvergreen
Most years Rochester has a team or two that will challenge them out of the south and a great matchup for the title. Doesn’t make sense for Rochester to play up with SHG waiting for them each year in the playoffs.
Great matchups for the title? Of their 9 titles Only Morris, RB, and Geneseo have kept the final within one score. They have outscored opponents 337-201 in the title game.

No team in 4A challenges them in the playoffs. In all of their playoff games in seasons where they won the championship, excluding the title game, they have had a total of 2 playoff games decided by one score; 23-21 over QND in 2010 and and 48-47 over Althoff in 2016. So, in all of their title runs, including the title games, they have had a total of 5 out of 45 playoff games decided by only one score.

Rochester has won 9 titles in 13 years, 8 of those being in 4A. Yes, they should be playing up, but Derek prefers to be a big fish in a small pond. Nothing at all wrong with that, but people will always question success and why they don't petition to play up.

I just don’t get the two year commitment component. Why not let them just take it one year at a time?
Because the IHSA needs some level of commitment so they can account for teams playing up when factoring in playoff qualifiers classes. If teams think they are good enough to play up I see no reason why they shouldn't make a two year commitment. Otherwise you may get teams choosing to play up when they have a good team and then they know they won't good enough to play up the following year but could compete in the lower class. I think it would be worse if teams bounced back and forth. If a private school is success factored up, it's for two years. No reason a team voluntarily playing up shouldn't be held to the same standard.

Because the IHSA needs some level of commitment so they can account for teams playing up when factoring in playoff qualifiers classes. If teams think they are good enough to play up I see no reason why they shouldn't make a two year commitment. Otherwise you may get teams choosing to play up when they have a good team and then they know they won't good enough to play up the following year but could compete in the lower class. I think it would be worse if teams bounced back and forth. If a private school is success factored up, it's for two years. No reason a team voluntarily playing up shouldn't be held to the same standard.
It’s voluntarily. Play up when you have a special team and stay in your class when you don’t. Why would anyone care? Why 2 years? Why not 3,4,5,6,etc?

IHSA doesn’t need a commitment. It takes zero work to make the playoff seedings - it’s all built off an equation that populates the tournament.

You’d have more teams play up if it was done a year at a time and provide a better tournament.

Reactions: AlabamaTimberwolf
Great matchups for the title? Of their 9 titles Only Morris, RB, and Geneseo have kept the final within one score. They have outscored opponents 337-201 in the title game.

No team in 4A challenges them in the playoffs. In all of their playoff games in seasons where they won the championship, excluding the title game, they have had a total of 2 playoff games decided by one score; 23-21 over QND in 2010 and and 48-47 over Althoff in 2016. So, in all of their title runs, including the title games, they have had a total of 5 out of 45 playoff games decided by only one score.

Rochester has won 9 titles in 13 years, 8 of those being in 4A. Yes, they should be playing up, but Derek prefers to be a big fish in a small pond. Nothing at all wrong with that, but people will always question success and why they don't petition to play up.
Question their success? Not following that at all.

Derek prefers to be a big fish in a small pond? They joined a conference where they are the smallest team.

All last year, the potential Rochester vs IC matchup had everyone excited. Even though the matchup didn’t end up happening, we were still intrigued about the title game. Feel this is the case most years.

4a has included numerous potential title contenders over the last few years Ic, Providence, Morris, RB, SHG, JCA, St Francis.

Rochester has never been as dominate as Byron was last year and bring several returners back.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT