ADVERTISEMENT

WB6/TRAC Week 8 review and Week 9 preview

jotapepe

Jul 20, 2021
I will do a season review next week! And I will continue doing this every week as long as any of the teams in these conferences are alive in the playoffs. Without further ado...
WB6
Moline 33, Sterling 21 - Great game and a worthy title decider. Sterling will make some noise in the playoffs, but if Moline can clean up their penalties and consistently make extra points they have a good shot at a real run.
Geneseo 36, Rock Island 22 - Every bit as important as the game above and well done to the Leafs to fight through some adversity. Must feel great to get the monkey off their backs and put it on Rocky.
Galesburg 46, UTHS 35 - What a shootout this was, and what a nice feeling for Galesburg, who will likely be able to get to 3-6. Meantime, this is the pits for the Panthers, who had hopes to make the playoffs this season and now look likely to finish at 1-8.
Quincy 65, Alleman 13 - Alleman actually had a lead this game!... Didn't last long.
I was 2-2 (missed on Geneseo and Galesburg).
This week:
Moline over Geneseo - Geneseo is good and playing well. Moline is rolling.
Galesburg over Alleman - The Streaks will have a two-game win streak (cymbal crash) to end the year.
Quincy over Rock Island - Rock Island is playing for its playoff life, but I don't know that they have the speed or physicality to match up with Quincy (and they'd need one or the other). Quincy itself has quite a bit to play for, as they could host a playoff game with a win. Would be very nice for them to potentially avoid East St. Louis.
Sterling over UT - I expect Sterling to be snorting mad and take out some anger on the Panthers, while the Warriors will be hoping to bring someone from the Chicago suburbs over to western Illinois.

TRAC
Monmouth-Roseville 28, Erie/Prophetstown 6 - Nice win for the Titans to clear up a playoff berth in a year that has been somewhat disappointing. Meanwhile, this has set up EP for a do-or-die.
Morrison 56, LeRoy 7 - Awesome performance by the Mustangs, who look like they're fired up for a run toward the second season.
Orion 53, Sherrard 7 - That's more like it for the Chargers, who seem to know what's coming to them. Tough way to end the season for Sherrard, who have shown a lot of promise.
Rockridge 42, Kewanee 14 - A return to form of sorts for Rockridge, who had been looking a little sluggish in my opinion.
Princeton 48, Bureau Valley 0 - Exactly what we expected from both teams; if anything, a little underwhelming from the Tigers.
Newman 30, Mendota 27 - Newman discovered their offense! What a great game, and what a heartbreak for the Trojans, but no shame in this loss in Sterling.
Hall 42, St. Bede 27 - It's a long season and it looks like it's getting to St. Bede. But what a wonderful win for Hall, who look like favorites to make the playoffs after a 1-8 finish last year.
I was 5-2 (missed on MR and Hall).
This week:
Rockridge over Orion - Not necessarily as much of a given as we might think, but Rockridge seems too good for Orion.
Ottawa Marquette over Sherrard - Rough way to end up for Sherrard, but I think Marquette will sweep in and beat the Tigers.
Morrison over Erie/Prophetstown - I think EP is, in a vacuum, a better team than Morrison. But momentum means a lot in high school football, and at home and coming off a win, I think Morrison wins this play-in game.
Princeton over Monmouth-Roseville - Upset alert for the unbeaten Tigers, who make a long trip to Monmouth, but they're just so stinking good!
Newman over Kewanee - Not a blowout by any means but I think Newman is better than Kewanee.
Hall over Bureau Valley - Good lord, are the Red Devils feeling happy, and I think they will get in this week. Good for them.
St. Bede over Mendota - Upset alert here too... this game will go a long way in telling us how the Bruins will do in the playoffs.

Reactions: Swansa01
WB6

Moline over Geneseo- Boy, Moline sure is big and physical and they showed it last week against Sterling. Both Geneseo and Moline come into this one on a high note and both will be playing for seeding in the postseason. I just see Moline doing what they have done to the rest of the conference, wear down and run over a smaller squad. Hopefully the Leafs stay healthy going into week 10.

Galesburg over Alleman- Just two teams probably happy the season is coming to an end. Alleman will play tough as usual but Galesburg wins in the long run.

Quincy over Rock Island- This one could be the barn burner of the week in the conference as Quincy is playing for seeding to make their week 10 opponent drive out to them. Rocky is playing for it’s season. I think points will be scored in bunches, but in the end Quincy will be able to make more plays on both sides of the ball.

Sterling over UT- The one thing I can say is im pretty sure Sterling wins in a blowout, the question will be how long does it take them to get there. If a UT team that is still out to prove something gets off the bus, this might still be somewhat of a game at the half. If a UT team that is ready for the winter season gets off the bus, this will be over by the end of the first quarter.

TRAC

Rockridge over Orion- (Do or Die game) I think this will be a close game as Orion is playing for that 5th win and will be throwing everything plus the kitchen sink at Rockridge. I think Rockridge is just too good to get hit by the sink and will win this one in the end.

Ottawa Marquette over Sherrard – Seen a lot more positive from the Tigers this season, but they get a tough one to end the season. Hopefully they can continue to build during the off season.

Morrison over Erie-Prophetstown- (Ultimate Do or Die!) For these two it is really simple, win and you are in…lose and you are stacking pads next week. I give the edge to Morrison as they are playing at home and have been able to stack up points the past few weeks. EP has been very up and down with it’s ability to score points. Wouldn’t be surprised if this one became a “last one to have the ball wins” type of game.

Princeton over Monmouth-Roseville- Do the Tigers get caught looking ahead to the playoffs? Or do they come off the bus and do what they have always done this season with scoring early and often? Princeton might not play their best game this week, but it still will be enough to win it.

Newman over Kewanee- Not a lot for the Boilermakers to play for other than pride and to try and send the seniors off with a win. Newman is looking to increase it’s playoff seeding for round one. I see Newman winning in a low scoring affair.

Hall over Bureau Valley- (Do or Die game) Hall has taken and shattered the pre-season expectations, needing one more win to secure a playoff spot. BV has had a tough season and is another team playing for pride and seniors…but also spoilers. Hall has too much firepower though and I think will have this one in hand by halftime.

Mendota over St. Bede- Mendota lost its Do or Die game last week, but they can play some offense. St. Bede has been pummeled by teams that can move the ball and score the past 2 weeks. This one could be a high scoring close one with the Trojans scoring a close win to end the season on a positive and increasing the doubt the Bruins have heading into week 10.

Crazy to think we are at Week 9 now. Feels like just yesterday I was racing home from middle school practice to watch Sterling take on Lakes to open the season. Big shout out to jotapepe for starting this weekly thread and drawing some attention to the northwestern part of the state.

Reactions: Gene K.
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT