ADVERTISEMENT

WB6/TRAC Round 1 review/Round 2 preview

jotapepe

Jul 20, 2021
Not divvying these up by conference anymore because we have less teams. But let's roll!
Moline 21, DeKalb 13 - Great game. The Maroons weren't fantastic in the first half and it was really only due to DeKalb mistakes (a bad overthrow that led to an interception and a fumble inside Moline's red zone on a bad snap) that Moline had the lead at halftime. But Moline made some adjustments at half and even though they only scored seven points in the second half, they were dominant. Good first round win.
Quincy 49, Glenwood 42 - Awesome win for the Blue Devils, who lead the whole way, though they could never shake Glenwood. They again threw for an obscene number of yards, and have played their way into a home game with a looooooong drive for their #1 opponent.
Sterling 34, St. Viator 17 - I have doubts about St. Viator's skill. but Sterling played well and are now possibly the best positioned team in the area to get to the quarters.
Carlinville 36, Geneseo 7 - Not a terrible performance for Geneseo after being on the road for so long against a very good team. Will this leave the Leafs wanting more or disappointed?
SHG 55, Hall 6 - This is about what was to be expected. No offense meant to Hall here, I just don't think anyone from this side of the bracket (with the potential exception of Rochester) is keeping up with the Cycs. Good job to Hall to get there.
Stillman Valley 48, Monmouth-Roseville 33 - Better job from the Titans than I expected, in a thoroughly enjoyable game. But that's a hall and the Cardinals are a very good team. Tough year for Mon-Rose, but they ended it with honor.
Princeton 56, Peotone 28 - Don't let the final score fool you, this one was a running clock game. More of the normal for Princeton, who seemed more concerned about getting their backups some playing time and not wanting to embarass a team that isn't so far away from them.
Ottawa Marquette 20, Morrison 6 - I always believe there are no moral victories, especially in the playoffs, but if there ever was one, this is it for the Mustangs. They hung with a very good Marquette team for a while, and they're young. Good things are coming for these guys.
Rockridge 42, Newman 12 - Took a while for the Rockets to get untracked, and the pesky Comets stuck around. But Rockridge was always the better team.
Forreston 46, St. Bede 22 - Not a good way to end the season for the Bruins. Forreston is a very good team, but I know St. Bede will be disappointed after starting 6-0.
I was 9-1 (missed on Quincy).
This week:
Moline (10) over Yorkville (7) in the second round of 7A: Yorkville will be favored by most people, and rightly so with their defense. But Moline's offense is playing well, and I feel like they are rolling and can get into the third round for their first time. Moline would go to Hersey or host Batavia in the quarters.
Lemont (1) over Quincy (9) in the second round of 6A South: This is an interesting game, especially given Quincy's offensive firepower and Lemont's long trip. I think Lemont is better. Hope Quincy proves me wrong again. QUincy would host Kenwood or go to Bremen in the quarters.
Sterling (5) over Goode (4) in the second round of 5A North: I have absolutely no confiderence in the vast majority of the CPS teams. Sterling may want to start watching Sycamore and Carmel tape, as they would go to Sycamore or host Carmel in the quarters.
Princeton (1) over Genoa-Kingston (8) in the second round of 3A North: GK is not a bad team. but I do not seeanything from the Cogs that suggests they can hang with Princeton. Princeton would host IC Catholic (oooooo) or go to Stillman Valley in the quarters.
Rockridge (4) over Bloomington Central Catholic in the second round of 2A North: We were one point away from Rockridge-Mercer County, which would've been so fun. I think Rockridge will take this one in a close game after the long trip. Rockridge would host Farmington or Maroa-Forsyth in the quarters.

Our local media reported that 3 or 4 of Quincy’s offensive players, including the QB and RB, are Sophomores. They were very impressive against Chatham, and could really excel the next two years. The Quincy defense will really be tested by Lemont, who scored over 70 against Springfield in the second round of the playoffs last year.

Reactions: Swansa01
WB6 went 3-1 in the first round with Moline, Sterling, and Quincy getting wins and Geneseo (good to see them back in the playoffs!) losing. Sterling and Moline will be on the round this week after having home games. Quincy will be keeping the busses parked.

Moline over Yorkville: Moline just did what I normally does in its first round game over Dekalb: Run the ball and play good defense. Fully expect the Maroons to stick to that game plan against the Foxes. Yorkville runs more than they pass, but they have 1,000 yards thru the air so the Maroons D will be tested in multiple ways. Should be another tough, tough game with a low points total, but I think Moline leans on the legs of Riley Fuller and comes away with a quarterfinals bid.

Sterling over Chicago Goode: Sterling pulled away in the second half to beat St. Viator 34-17 and gets rewarded with a road trip to Chicago to play CPS member Goode. Goode looks like they have a few athletes and won their first round game pretty handily, but I expect Sterling to show up prepared and focused and get the running clock by halftime.

Lemont over Quincy: I think Quincy raised a few eyebrows by winning a shoot out over Glenwood 49-42, but that was kind of been Quincy’s thing this season: score a bunch of points and play just enough defense. They are going to need to really tighten it up as top seeded Lemont comes to town. I think Lemont wins a high scoring affair, but they will have to earn it. Quincy is a young team and still a year away from really making some noise. The one thing Quincy does have going for it is Lemont has to make a 4 and a half hour bus ride.

TRAC went a very rough 2-5 (slightly off as Rockridge and Newman played each other). Princeton and Rockridge got wins as Hall, Monmouth-Roseville, Morrison, Newman, and St. Bede suffered losses. Great for the conference to get 7 teams in. Hopefully the teams that lost first round can build off this year.

Princeton over Genoa-Kingston: G-K is decent sized and hammers teams with their run game, but I don’t think it will impress this version of the Princeton Tigers who I think will use their speed to run and pass thru and over the Cogs and win this one by three scores.

Rockridge over Bloomington Central Catholic: I admit, I know next to nothing about BCC except they are a tough foe who vanquished Mercer County by a point. Rockridge has been putting together good games week in and week out and I see there being not difference in this one as they win a close one.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT