ADVERTISEMENT

Very Interesting CTE Article

THANK YOU!! I literally have been saying this since the study came out this summer! I have gotten into countless arguments about it and people still don't want to believe. The author of this article actually hits on what the actual study says! This is refreshing to see, and I am glad he brought up the Mayo Clinic studies because that one was focused on high school football players unlike others that mainly focus on the NFL. I wish every person on this planet would read this instead of watching a hollywood movie "Concussion" that doesn't even get close to really talking about what CTE is and facts and unknowns about it.

Well he sort of ruins his argument with this statement. So he is right and all other brain docs wrong.

My name is Peter Cummings. I am a forensic pathologist and a neuropathologist, which means I study brain trauma for a living. I am also a football coach and I let my 11-year-old son play football. I may be the only neuropathologist on Earth who lets his kid play football.

Reactions: PRokie and Gene K.
Well he sort of ruins his argument with this statement. So he is right and all other brain docs wrong.

My name is Peter Cummings. I am a forensic pathologist and a neuropathologist, which means I study brain trauma for a living. I am also a football coach and I let my 11-year-old son play football. I may be the only neuropathologist on Earth who lets his kid play football.

Don't let some fun and creative writing get in the way of a good story!! ;)

No, I don't think that is it at all. I read this article as saying check all studies, not just the ones you happen to agree with. He probably says that second line you posted because all the others have bought in without checking everything out. Now, it makes me wonder who else shares his view...based on these facts. If I am wondering about it I am sure others will begin to question the initial studies and that is good. I doubt anyone here just blindly accepts studies. We check things out further.

This whole thing has been sensationalized by the media and those who, quite frankly, hate football. I am not saying there isn't legitimate evidence on their side. But let's just look at all of it. Remember, this information is very new and we really don't have years of evidence yet. Too many people are in a hurry to come to a conclusion before everything is learned.

Actually I found this article by accident. There was a very small blurb of it in yesterday's Tribune in the news section "What others are Saying" Only a very small part of the article was in the paper. I just simply googled the author and this is what I found. I think it should be the full article in the Trib.

If legitimate, this definitely needs to be brought into the discussion.

Reactions: lkhammer57
LTHS it is definitely legitimate comments, I personally have read the entire report regarding the 99% of NFL player studied and the Mayo Clinic. I didn't read it from a media source, I went straight to actual studies online and read them. Now obviously because I'm quite a few credits away from becoming a doctor, I didn't understand but when reading the conclusion, the doctors, themselves, say the same things this man says. I urge people to go and find the study and read it for themselves just as the author did.

Reactions: LTHSALUM76
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT