ADVERTISEMENT

Update: 2023 OT Cannon Leonard checks in and talks recruiting

EdgyTim

Staff
May 29, 2001
Channahon Illinois
Gilman (Ill.) Iroquois West junior offensive tackle prospect Cannon Leonard (6-foot-8, 260 pounds) has gone right from his fall football season to his winter basketball season this month. Leonard checks in and recaps his recently completed season, his upcoming off season plans along with his latest football recruiting news in this update.

"I'm already back to playing basketball and we are 3-1 so far," Leonard said. "We went 2-1 and took second in our Thanksgiving tournament. We lost some key seniors from last year but we have been looking good so far."

Leonard also filled us in on his latest football recruiting news.

"I've been getting a lot of text and calls from different college coaches and I've been invited to some college game day visits earlier in the fall. The only visit I was able to make was at NIU. NIU had a Junior Day event as few weeks ago on a Sunday. NIU had us for a recruiting presentation and we also had a chance to talk with some of the NIU coaches. I had a great visit to NIU and it was good to meet some of the coaches in person and I also learned a lot more about NIU along with getting to see it's indoor facility. We also got to watch a practice. The NIU coaches had some good things to say about my season and they want me to stay in contact with them. Like a lot of other schools NIU said they plan to come out to see me in school this spring and watch me workout. I've also stayed in touch with the coaches from Cincinnati and also Nebraska the most this winter. They are always staying in touch and we talk over text quite a bit."

Has Leonard also been drawing recruiting attention in basketball?

"I've been getting more serious recruiting looks and attention in football compared to basketball. Some of the mid level D1 schools have sent things along with some D2 schools for basketball. It definitely seems that football will end up being the best path for me from a recruiting standpoint. Right now football looks much more promising."

Leonard also filled us in on his off-season plans.

"Basketball season will keep me pretty busy this winter, but I'm still working in my lifts whenever I can."

My Take on Cannon Leonard recruiting: Huge kid on the hoof here who also has really good overall bend and mobility for a kid that's 6-foot-9. Leonard again is a multi-sport small school athlete so he's always on the move.....he has the frame to easily add more good weight....and that weight gain for the most part won't come until after his high school graduation. In some ways Leonard is a bit of a project....yet I feel a project who can end up playing at the Power 5 level. Schools will need to get a bit creative when early evaluating Cannon Leonard....especially since he still will need to add say another 40 plus pounds and much more muscle....yet this kid has huge upside and potential down the line no question.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals.com to access this premium section.

• Member-Only Message Boards
  • Exclusive coverage of Rivals Series
  • Exclusive Recruiting Interviews
  • Breaking Recruiting News