ADVERTISEMENT

Top Teams for 2018?

DeanOfSelection

Gold Member
Sep 25, 2002
Have to think LWE, LA, Marist, Maine S, Naz for starters.Any other candidates that are top 10 worthy?

Marist loses alot. Think Mt. Carmel needs to be up there assuming no defections to IMG :).

Some others to consider
- Naperville Central
- Benet
- IC
- St. Charles North
- Palatine
- St. Rita

Loyola is bringing back a bunch of starters. Has to be the most in Holecek's time as HC:

Dixon(DE)
Boos (WR)
Jones (WR)
Flores (RB)
Gonzalez (DB)
Scott (LB)
Daniels (LB)
Kelly (DB)
McMahon
Gavric (RB)
Gianaris (OL)
Christo Kelly (OL)

and I believe there are more, including K, 2 jr OL. The 2nd string QB got a ton a playing time.

MS 8 starters on defense.
Wow! Hoping you guys are on the other side of the bracket again! I love my Ramblers but I truly believe that the state championship was the LWE MS game. Similar to HF LA in '15.

could see Montini in 5A, SHG in 6A, mtC/Rita/NAZ in 7A, Loyola in 8...

If Montini is able to get to 5 wins they could make some noise in 5A, the immediate problem that Montini will face is getting 3 wins after what I presume will be nc games that they will hopefully win with some scheduling advice from the AD on Ogden.

Reactions: Gene K. and pjjp
If Montini is able to get to 5 wins they could make some noise in 5A, the immediate problem that Montini will face is getting 3 wins after what I presume will be nc games that they will hopefully win with some scheduling advice from the AD on Ogden.

....and a possible state championship type match up in round 1 with the #1 seed (Phillips maybe) in 5A North. Playoff points may prevent that though

I'd love Rita to be in the Top 10 for all classes, but I am not seeing it right now. I'd say SR, at this point, is between 15 - 20. Anyone in the know is welcome to elaborate.

I'd love Rita to be in the Top 10 for all classes, but I am not seeing it right now. I'd say SR, at this point, is between 15 - 20. Anyone in the know is welcome to elaborate.
I think SR is getting mentioned more because they are basically returning 10 starters (granted some were injury mandated but playing time is playing time) from a team whose only losses were to 3 state semi finalist teams (2 that went to the finals) and the lower levels did well. But I think the state is 8A top heavy again next year so the 7A contenders should be slotted somewhere between 10-20 save maybe Naz could crack top 10 in an all class preseason rank

Marist loses alot. Think Mt. Carmel needs to be up there assuming no defections to IMG :).

Some others to consider
- Naperville Central
- Benet
- IC
- St. Charles North
- Palatine
- St. Rita

Not Palatine. I think they have 3 starters returning tops....

Same as this year and just about every other year...

Lake Zurich
Warren
Agree that Warren should be good. Geez they really seem to have a lot of talent.

LZ is interesting. They had 7 underclasman start on that defense this year throughout the playoffs (one soph). Of course losing Sanborn and Stuztman on defense is huge, but have you heard of Jack Sanborn's little brother? He played on the sophomore team this year (as a freshman) and the buzz around town here is, look out for this kid, he supposedly has more athletic ability than his older brother, if that is possible (sorry Jack).

On the downside, on offense, not sure if anyone in the entire town of LZ can throw the ball more than 10 yards . . . And replacing Stutzman's sledgehammer running style will be a challenge.

Reactions: KingKore
Agree that Warren should be good. Geez they really seem to have a lot of talent.

LZ is interesting. They had 7 underclasman start on that defense this year throughout the playoffs (one soph). Of course losing Sanborn and Stuztman on defense is huge, but have you heard of Jack Sanborn's little brother? He played on the sophomore team this year (as a freshman) and the buzz around town here is, look out for this kid, he supposedly has more athletic ability than his older brother, if that is possible (sorry Jack).

On the downside, on offense, not sure if anyone in the entire town of LZ can throw the ball more than 10 yards . . . And replacing Stutzman's sledgehammer running style will be a challenge.

Younger brother is a STUD. They may be a little offense challenged but defensively they will be solid

Anyone hearing anything about Benet? I know they return like 15 starters, 8 on defense & 7 on offense... Back to back semifinals appearance too..

Younger brother is a STUD. They may be a little offense challenged but defensively they will be solid

This is pretty much what you can say about LZ any year. Will be interesting how the coach does with out the "keys to the ferrari" as some have said on here.

Any insight out there in the forum on what we might see out of H-F next season?

H-F, in their last 3 regular season games, had an average margin of victory of 31 points which could have had an adverse effect upon playoff-readiness. LWE, on the other hand, had that Week 9 close shave (18-14) @ The 'Brook, not to mention the 15-14 escape from St. Chucky East in Round 2.

Sometimes close meaningful games does just as much for the coaches as it does for the players

H-F, in their last 3 regular season games, had an average margin of victory of 31 points which could have had an adverse effect upon playoff-readiness. LWE, on the other hand, had that Week 9 close shave (18-14) @ The 'Brook, not to mention the 15-14 escape from St. Chucky East in Round 2.

Remind me again of the LWE-HF Score?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT