ADVERTISEMENT

Thoughts on Class 7A for the 2018 season

As should Rochester! Right now it’s not a badge of honor, but rather just the albatross of the private schools.
Hey, I think Rochester should request up. But they're refusal to challenge themselves has nothing to do with the opportunity Naz has in front of them. Hell, maybe seeing you guys in 7A will spark something in those guys to say, "We can compete in 7A too!"

Then maybe someone will get the urge to request up to 8A and eventually we'll have essentially an open class.

Reactions: stonedlizard
And maybe you will decide to pay on the bet you made a few seasons ago...no I didn’t think so!

Hey, I think Rochester should request up. But they're refusal to challenge themselves has nothing to do with the opportunity Naz has in front of them. Hell, maybe seeing you guys in 7A will spark something in those guys to say, "We can compete in 7A too!"

Then maybe someone will get the urge to request up to 8A and eventually we'll have essentially an open class.

And maybe you will decide to pay on the bet you made a few seasons ago...no I didn’t think so!
Yet, if Naz won 5A youd be the 1st one here proclaiming how they should be #1 in the state. You're one funny guy.

Those years they may have very well competed, but thanks for making the point that this year’s team is paying for those year’s success.

Now how about you answer the question...you gonna finally pay the bet this year?

Yet, if Naz won 5A youd be the 1st one here proclaiming how they should be #1 in the state. You're one funny guy.

Those years they may have very well competed, but thanks for making the point that this year’s team is paying for those year’s success.

Now how about you answer the question...you gonna finally pay the bet this year?
I like seeing you panhandle...

Doesn’t it work both ways? With Naz taking a 7A slot doesn that ensure that Glenbard West is 8A once again this year?

Has GBW ever won an 8A title or made the 8A title game? I only remember the 7A titles.

Doesn’t it work both ways? With Naz taking a 7A slot doesn that ensure that Glenbard West is 8A once again this year?

Has GBW ever won an 8A title or made the 8A title game? I only remember the 7A titles.
I don't see how Naz can bump anyone up. They'll only bump someone down.

I don't see how Naz can bump anyone up. They'll only bump someone down.

Well I was thinking they are in 7A no matter what. They aren’t on the enrollment bubble so they are for sure taking one of the slots in 33-64 that comprises 7A no matter what. Therefore - since they can’t move up or down due to enrollment,....it affects both ends of the playoff classifications? They are normally 5A or 6A so they are taking a higher enrollment slot than they normally take in the playoff slots?

Well I was thinking they are in 7A no matter what. They aren’t on the enrollment bubble so they are for sure taking one of the slots in 33-64 that comprises 7A no matter what. Therefore - since they can’t move up or down due to enrollment,....it affects both ends of the playoff classifications? They are normally 5A or 6A so they are taking a higher enrollment slot than they normally take in the playoff slots?
The biggest enrollment schools 1-32 will go 8A. Naz, followed by the biggest enrollment schools 33-63 would go 7A. Naz being in 7A doesnt effect another team on the 32/33 bubble.

Reactions: Voodoo Tatum 21
The biggest enrollment schools 1-32 will go 8A. Naz, followed by the biggest enrollment schools 33-63 would go 7A. Naz being in 7A doesnt effect another team on the 32/33 bubble.

Ok thanks. That makes sense. Looks like my brain is shutting down for the day! Lol.

I saw someone posting about Batavia and LZ in 6a. I know how things work but how close were they to the border last year? Did enrollment go up or down? Those two would create a big swing one way or the other.

Let’s talk about a school with an actual enrollment of less than 900 being force to play 7a this year because of success in 2014 and 2015.

All..... Welcome! (snark) A select group..... I can tell you once in it can be difficult to get out. Funny how success continues to be viewed different when applied to private schools. One can only guess what else will be thrown at them in the future. I do recall should district play come around that the IHSA is going to make the success tax a bit less prohibitive. But not a peep about having it for ALL schools. Ratsy

Last edited:
Reactions: Gene K.
Enough about the success factor and Naz. This is a forgone conclusion if they make it out of the ESCC. Who ELSE in 7a is going to bring it? LZ, Batavia, GBW? Anyone else up north strong and mighty like a Libertyville? What about out west? Who comes out of the Dukane conference? WWS back to days of old?

... just trying to change that narrative a little from the usual success factor convo. As Chubbs Petersen says “just easin the tension baby...”

Reactions: lkhammer57
I just read in the DH the Montini coach views his team move to the Blue as a promotion, not a punishment for past success. They, I guess, invite the challenge of the Blue rather than staying down in the Green and pretending they would have won the Blue.

This is rich coming from the worlds biggest sandbagger. Playing in the Blue vs the Green is not the same as playing in 7A when you're a natural 4A(5A with multiplier) enrollment school during the playoffs.

I just read in the DH the Montini coach views his team move to the Blue as a promotion, not a punishment for past success. They, I guess, invite the challenge of the Blue rather than staying down in the Green and pretending they would have won the Blue.

Enough about the success factor and Naz. This is a forgone conclusion if they make it out of the ESCC. Who ELSE in 7a is going to bring it? LZ, Batavia, GBW? Anyone else up north strong and mighty like a Libertyville? What about out west? Who comes out of the Dukane conference? WWS back to days of old?

... just trying to change that narrative a little from the usual success factor convo. As Chubbs Petersen says “just easin the tension baby...”
Unfortunately, don't count on Libertyville this year. They may be in a rebuilding year.

I saw someone posting about Batavia and LZ in 6a. I know how things work but how close were they to the border last year? Did enrollment go up or down? Those two would create a big swing one way or the other.

Based on their current places on enrollment chart, Batavia would have been 7a and LZ 6a. Though it is much more likely both are 7a then both 6a based on last decade.

You should hear what they say when they aren't on the record.

I agree with Coach Bu on this being a promotion for them. The CCL Blue has always been the rated higher than the other conferences in the CCL. The Bronco's move up will benefit them come playoff time after playing some very good teams during the regular season.

Reactions: Cross Bones
I agree with Coach Bu on this being a promotion for them. The CCL Blue has always been the rated higher than the other conferences in the CCL. The Bronco's move up will benefit them come playoff time after playing some very good teams during the regular season.
Agree wholeheartedly. I remember being in the SICA Gray but wishing we could be SICA Blue. In my mind back in the 90's/00's we were closer to being LWC, LWE, Thornton, Lockport, Sandburg, and HF than we were close to being Stagg, Bradley, Shephard, Romeoville, and Reavis. Would prefer to go head up with the big dogs than to be the big fish in the small pond.

Exactly, a benefit that they will have tough competition in the regular season and then go down and play 5a teams in the playoffs. This blue division promotion for Montini in the regular season and Nazareth's promotion to 7a in the playoffs is an apples and oranges comparison! Not quite the same badge of honor to be promoted to higher levels in the playoffs compared to the regular season.

Exactly, a benefit that they will have tough competition in the regular season and then go down and play 5a teams in the playoffs. This blue division promotion for Montini in the regular season and Nazareth's promotion to 7a in the playoffs is an apples and oranges comparison! Not quite the same badge of honor to be promoted to higher levels in the playoffs compared to the regular season.
An even better promotion actually. Montini is in the acclaimed Blue. Remember, one still has to make the playoffs. The likelihood is less probable in the Blue, so there's that. But back to 7A being an even better promotion. In 7A you get to play against a more difficult field and such esteemed programs as East St and Batavia and Lake Zurich, doesn't that sound better? Now if you win 7A your claim to #1 and really all the post season acclaim is more substantiated.

This is a win win Naz is better off for it and so is 7A.

If Naz makes the finals, do they go up to 8A? If they don't make the finals, are they back down in 6A? Is there any scenario where they repeat 7A?

If Naz makes the finals, do they go up to 8A? If they don't make the finals, are they back down in 6A? Is there any scenario where they repeat 7A?
They are in 7a for 2 years minimum. They would need 2 7a title appearances to go to 8a.

They are in 7a for 2 years minimum. They would need 2 7a title appearances to go to 8a.

If my math is right and understanding of the system I think they really need to go to the 7a title game this year and the next 2 after that (3 total). Because that would be 4 title games in a row.... 6a in '17 then 7a in 18/19/20. Remember the 14 and 15 title games will be dropping off over the next couple of years. During the 2020 season they will look at 16/17/18/19.... '16 wasn't a title game year so 3 of 4 would still be 7a. That's why 14/15/16/17 (3 of 4) equals 7a this year. I think 2021 would be first possible 8a season assuming all title games between now and then. *That's what I understand but everything I just typed could be wrong.

Reminds me of IC in the 2000s when they would have to go through the brutal SCC schedule to get to 5 wins and make the playoffs. Definitely prepares you to face lesser competition but getting there is the problem. Smaller rosters mean injuries take their toll. The two cupcakes to start off should make it a bit easier to get to 5 wins but they still have to beat some some tough teams to get in.

Reminds me of IC in the 2000s when they would have to go through the brutal SCC schedule to get to 5 wins and make the playoffs. Definitely prepares you to face lesser competition but getting there is the problem. Smaller rosters mean injuries take their toll. The two cupcakes to start off should make it a bit easier to get to 5 wins but they still have to beat some some tough teams to get in.

Would you rather find 5 wins (with a couple cupcakes included) out of 9 games in the regular season OR win 5 in a row in the playoffs against all playoff caliber teams?

An even better promotion actually. Montini is in the acclaimed Blue. Remember, one still has to make the playoffs. The likelihood is less probable in the Blue, so there's that. But back to 7A being an even better promotion. In 7A you get to play against a more difficult field and such esteemed programs as East St and Batavia and Lake Zurich, doesn't that sound better? Now if you win 7A your claim to #1 and really all the post season acclaim is more substantiated.

This is a win win Naz is better off for it and so is 7A.

How and why are you reading my mind/stealing my thoughts on this one @Cross Bones? Since when did you come around to this line of thinking?

Stoned,

Bones only has this thought process as applied to Private schools. Doesn’t believe it should ever be done to a public. I believe I remember you and I agreeing that the promotion to higher classes, ie the “success factor”, should be applied universally where as he only feels this should be applied to private schools.

How and why are you reading my mind/stealing my thoughts on this one @Cross Bones? Since when did you come around to this line of thinking?

Would you rather find 5 wins (with a couple cupcakes included) out of 9 games in the regular season OR win 5 in a row in the playoffs against all playoff caliber teams?
That was not a shot whatsoever...I would do the same thing. Everyone knows Montini will schedule anyone, but with the grinder they have now I understand the easier non-conference games.

That was not a shot whatsoever...I would do the same thing. Everyone knows Montini will schedule anyone, but with the grinder they have now I understand the easier non-conference games.

I didn't think you were taking a shot and I wasn't either. My only point is that I'd rather find 5 wins in the regular season which will include some easy wins along the way then drop down for the playoffs rather than have to win 5 games in a row in the playoffs against all playoff caliber teams (especially in a higher division of the playoffs). I just don't see how people want to compare the Montini conference bump to a nazareth playoff division bump.

I didn't think you were taking a shot and I wasn't either. My only point is that I'd rather find 5 wins in the regular season which will include some easy wins along the way then drop down for the playoffs rather than have to win 5 games in a row in the playoffs against all playoff caliber teams (especially in a higher division of the playoffs). I just don't see how people want to compare the Montini conference bump to a nazareth playoff division bump.
I think they can both be recognized as promotions in their own rights. Different degrees of promotion sure, but promotions nonetheless.

Back to the original topic!

What does Batavia bring back? Are they the far and away front runner? Who has the scouting report!?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT