ADVERTISEMENT

This is why CG competes every year. Tradition

Question that was brought up at the C-G football game....If McDonald played QB and Priester played WR last year would they be playing for the second State Championship in a row this weekend?

Question that was brought up at the C-G football game....If McDonald played QB and Priester played WR last year would they be playing for the second State Championship in a row this weekend?

Good question, and we’ll never know.

No way to know, but I would say no. They might have had a better regular season record, so they wouldn't have seen PR so early, but their defense was lacking last year. Putting McDonald at QB takes him off defense last year. A healthy Max Skol last year might have done it.

Always respected CG and their program. Well coached, disciplined, physical teams. They play a style of football that football was meant to be played. Grind it out, smash mouth run the ball down your throat. PCs last 2 trips to finals was against CG (2009, 2014). They keep churning out great players and they always come ready to complete and seem to always reload. I will be going for CG this weekend. They should win by 10.

Our feeder program, which runs the same offense from bantam to HS Varsity, won the top TCYFL Varsity division....... again.....so it will continue.

Our feeder program, which runs the same offense from bantam to HS Varsity, won the top TCYFL Varsity division....... again.....so it will continue.
And the current freshmen class is loaded too.

This recipe of integrating the youth program with the high school is what can make public schools competitive in this state vs private. This is the recipe that Bob Reade started at Geneseo many years ago, and with the exception of this year, it has been extremely successful. The great thing about the Jr Trojans is that 97% of our kids are going to CG.

Always respected CG and their program. Well coached, disciplined, physical teams. They play a style of football that football was meant to be played. Grind it out, smash mouth run the ball down your throat. PCs last 2 trips to finals was against CG (2009, 2014). They keep churning out great players and they always come ready to complete and seem to always reload. I will be going for CG this weekend. They should win by 10.
Thank you for the kind words. The CG community is very proud of the football program both at the high school and the Jr Trojan programs.

Reactions: atrain97
Thank you for the kind words. The CG community is very proud of the football program both at the high school and the Jr Trojan programs.
Serious question though. Don't you get sick of watching the same few plays. It is cool to watch when everyone is working in unison but I'd get bored after a few games yet alone years.

Reactions: jobou127 and gags33
Serious question though. Don't you get sick of watching the same few plays. It is cool to watch when everyone is working in unison but I'd get bored after a few games yet alone years.
,Seriously, I will only speak for the Jr program, but the enjoyment is forcing your will on another team when they basically know what's coming. As my college coach used to say, " It's is just good you me football.".

That is the best part. Looks like the same play over and over yet it is so hard to stop....

If you do watch at the youth level through high school it does get a little boring but that's their formula and it works. CG is never blessed with size or D1 athletes so it is neat to see how it all comes together for them. At least they mixed it up with the pass this year. They needed that. I was so frustrated with the 2014 loss to Provi because they were chasing and that offense doesn't work when time is not on your side. Hopefully they have the right mix this year to bring it home.

Reactions: markmacaluso
I coached against the Jr Trojans every year for 8 years. You always knew what they were going to do but they were so efficient you could only stop it for so long. The hallmark of ever Trojan Team was discipline and execution. This starts from Bantam all the way through the HS level. Nothing but respect for this program top to bottom.

Reactions: CG Fan and atrain97
PR has the same system in their area and have done very well over the past few years. When you have a super athlete like Samson Evans at QB, its almost impossible for teams to stop. Kudo's to both CG and PR for sticking with what they know and performing their systems with excellence. I like CG in the Championship game as I don't think Crete-Monee has seen this type of offense play this year. Could be wrong, but CG seems to do okay on defense too.

Reactions: greatgig13
Big shoes to fill at QB and offensive line. But then again I didn’t see this year coming.
I agree about next year, but they will figure out the QB, line is going to be thin. Defense should be better, they are really actually really young. PR has a ton coming back.
I knew this would be the year, this senior class has been really strong since Jr Trojans. Let’s hope they finish it out.

The CG coach actually mentored the SCE coach on how to install and run the triple option. The system works if properly executed. Took SCE from a multi year playoff drought to making the playoffs 3 years in a row. 2016 (my older son’s senior year. He was starting at H back) they went undefeated and lost 10-6 to Palatine at their place in the state quarterfinals.

The differences between CG and SCE are that we don’t have any pre high school feeder program which is why we can’t stay consistently good and we don’t develop a QB that can run AND pass with equal skill. As a result, SCE becomes one dimensional and sees 9 in the box regularly against skilled defenses.

Big shoes to fill at QB and offensive line. But then again I didn’t see this year coming.

I saw it coming and was proud to put it out there prior to week 1.

Next year, we will have a good team, they can become great, but we won't be better than PR on paper. Replacing Boyd, Daigle, McDonald, Preister, Peytko, and West on O will be tough.

Obviously paper does not win Championships

Cary is on one of those every couple of year trends. Though I fear the next group coming through isn’t as deep as this group just leaving.

They just won another super bowl and there is some talent there just not much size

This is one the factors that the Private v Public school debate that never gets mentioned. You get kids playing together all those years running the same offense and that’s a huge advantage.

Head Coaches at the public schools who have been powers the last decade all do this. Schools like CG, Main South, Batavia all have great feeder programs. These great youth programs are all a pillar of the community that places a high premium on football. When you grow up in these districts you dream about playing for you high school team.

I know the private’s try to pillage these programs of the best kids, but when you have a successful program it’s very hard.

Not trying to start a private v public debate like Otto but just think this is an important aspect.

I think a lot of the reason that CG kids are not tempted by the Privates are that their academic test scores are on par with what one would expect at a "Private". Parents in the City would hopefully have the quality of education a factor in where they send their children which may lead some to a Private. Marian Central and St. Viator would be the tempting schools for most Fox Valley Schools but the point of a strong feeder program is definitely the leading factor for schools like CG & PR's success.

Cary is on one of those every couple of year trends. Though I fear the next group coming through isn’t as deep as this group just leaving.

They just won another super bowl and there is some talent there just not much size
The current freshmen class is loaded with athleticism, but your right, not a lot of size, but they have some potentially bigger kids depending on growth spurts, puberty, weight training. etc... In coming class is not as athletic, but extremely hardworking. Classes below have GREAT potential and size. We’ll see, I’m sure the playoff streak will continue, and I look at Freshmen class when they are Jrs and Srs

Correct me if I am wrong but CG is also the beneficiary of having no dominant private school anywhere near them?
We lose a few to Marion,more lately to St Viator, and once in a while, Carmel, but yes we’re beneficiarys of that. Probably 97% of the kids in JR Trojans end up at CG.

We lose a few to Marion,more lately to St Viator, and once in a while, Carmel, but yes we’re beneficiarys of that. Probably 97% of the kids in JR Trojans end up at CG.
I don't think you lose any to Marian these days and hadn't for a long time.

I know of at least one, who I believe started on the OL as a sophomore
It has always been hard for Marian to get the Cary people in, even with Saints Peter and Paul being there, I still remember there was always a struggle with getting a lot of Peter and Paul kids. We would get a fair share, but usually not as much (percentage wise) compared to what we would get from other Catholic grade schools in the county. Marian has had the highest average ACT score in the county for a very long time, but CG has always been consistently right behind Marian in second by a point or two. This makes it very hard for people not to opt with the closer and free option. Add that with successful athletics programs, it is a really easy sell to their residents, especially with their distance to Woodstock, to go to CG. I would like to see a bigger effort to attract more Cary students (whether they are athletes or not) but it will always be the hardest place for Marian to get students from.

It has always been hard for Marian to get the Cary people in, even with Saints Peter and Paul being there, I still remember there was always a struggle with getting a lot of Peter and Paul kids. We would get a fair share, but usually not as much (percentage wise) compared to what we would get from other Catholic grade schools in the county. Marian has had the highest average ACT score in the county for a very long time, but CG has always been consistently right behind Marian in second by a point or two. This makes it very hard for people not to opt with the closer and free option. Add that with successful athletics programs, it is a really easy sell to their residents, especially with their distance to Woodstock, to go to CG. I would like to see a bigger effort to attract more Cary students (whether they are athletes or not) but it will always be the hardest place for Marian to get students from.

Two words: "Tuition Vouchers "

What would be the percentage if both schools were free? Just food for thought. No debate necessary. ALL of the above schools are top drawer.

Two words: "Tuition Vouchers "

What would be the percentage if both schools were free? Just food for thought. No debate necessary. ALL of the above schools are top drawer.
That's a great point. I don't know enough about the tuition voucher system, but you would have to think it would help with the Catholic families who currently send their kids to CG, but still value a Catholic education

Its interesting why we can't get more of St. Peter and Paul kids into the school. I have heard of all the McHenry County Catholic grade schools they have had he biggest graduating 8th grade classes and they have the least amount attending MCC.

Reactions: lkhammer57
That's a great point. I don't know enough about the tuition voucher system, but you would have to think it would help with the Catholic families who currently send their kids to CG, but still value a Catholic education
Big advantage to the community when all the schools have a quality product. not so much in the City. Unless you get into a Magnet school in Chicago.

Its interesting why we can't get more of St. Peter and Paul kids into the school. I have heard of all the McHenry County Catholic grade schools they have had he biggest graduating 8th grade classes and they have the least amount attending MCC.
I know of at least 3 from SSPP 8th grade class that are going to Viator.

I know of at least 3 from SSPP 8th grade class that are going to Viator.
This kills me! I don't know where they live in Cary, so it is possible viator might be a little closer (still a long commute for a high schooler for either school theygo to) but Marian Central is 5k cheaper a year, similar test scores, and you have to think the kids would know more of their classmates from their time at SSPP or playing against other McHenry County Catholic schools in grade school athletics. I just struggle with this. I have friends who still live or lived in Crystal Lake that commuted to the city for work, and they would see kids getting on at Crystal Lake in Viator uniforms. It amazes me how much Viator is dipping into the Marian pool, and it kills me to hear and see this.

This kills me! I don't know where they live in Cary, so it is possible viator might be a little closer (still a long commute for a high schooler for either school theygo to) but Marian Central is 5k cheaper a year, similar test scores, and you have to think the kids would know more of their classmates from their time at SSPP or playing against other McHenry County Catholic schools in grade school athletics. I just struggle with this. I have friends who still live or lived in Crystal Lake that commuted to the city for work, and they would see kids getting on at Crystal Lake in Viator uniforms. It amazes me how much Viator is dipping into the Marian pool, and it kills me to hear and see this.
The reasons I know are, parents are alumni, perception of higher academic standards, and lacrosse

Reactions: lkhammer57
CG & PR seem to be rotating their dominance of the Fox Valley and 6a. Who is the clear cut favorite for next year in the Fox Valley?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT