ADVERTISEMENT

THIRD PLACE GAME

Assorted non-City Metro Cath vs nearby big publics wouldn't be bad. I.e. a DuPage Bowl and a Joliet Stadium Classic. I always felt if you don't have City of Chicago residing students on your roster, you as a private HS should not be made to feel bad about not going for the Prep Bowl

Reactions: Silver Rain
Back in the day before the proliferation of travel baseball and all the showcases, I would say most of the state did participate. At least, all of the decent programs.
No one outside of the Chicago area has ever participated, tough to be a state champion when you don’t have to beat the two time defending Spring champion on your run to the title.

I don’t have strong feelings either way. Don’t think there is any groundswell of support for it to happen.

Logistically, third place games kind of work for the other sports. Teams are already all together, it provides filler content for the weekend, and it helps ensure a longer “state” experience for half the teams who would otherwise just go home. It helps the IHSA sell more tickets and makes for a more full weekend.

The logistics of football make it a nonstarter for the most part.

I had to laugh at the Prep Bowl comment. There are some Prep Bowl advocates who expressed dismay at the thought of a third place game.

Whether it’s a third place game, the Prep Bowl, or the Gasparilla Bowl, I don’t understand football fans who passionately oppose more football. I may not watch the XFL or the Boca Raton Bowl, but I’m glad they are played and may occasionally catch a glance of those games that are generally regarded as meaningless.

This game will never happen and there has been many great points given in the above posts to point exactly why it will never happen, but to the people that have brought up the players would want this to have another week with their teammates I ask you to think back to when you played….would you have wanted to play a third place game? Or ask any current player if they just got their heart broken or dream crushed in the semis would they want to play for third? I’m guessing a very high, almost unanimous would say no.

I don’t mean to sound selfish or go against the team first motto but it’s just the truth. It’s just not necessary in this sport….really any sport but football especially for numerous reasons. If you know any player who played the Spring 2021 Covid season, if they are honest, most will say it was good to play but with nothing really at stake, it was hard to really to get into it fully…..and that was 6 games….And since this site was a ghost town during those 6 weeks so many of you felt the same. All right enough about this, bring on the 2023 season!

Last edited:
Why not give all the kids participation trophies. I mean really let’s make Johnny feel good. Where does the coddling end. Honestly I don’t think the kids feel good about a 2nd place trophy can’t imagine a 3rd place trophy. Disagree with you coach.
I personally don't consider it coddling if your kids have busted their asses for 13 weeks and come up one game short. They've earned the right, imo. Now handing out t-shirts to kids for a 5-4 season that say "playoff qualifiers" or something along those lines... yeah, that's a bit, as they say, "tacky." I won't name names but the other school in Quincy has a few "we made the playoffs" shirts and signs in existence. Imagine being satisfied with qualifying... But I'm digressing. I wouldn't mind 3rd place games, just seems like a logistical nightmare in football.

Schools who claim 3rd place in football are almost as dumb as the public schools who get beat in state by a private school then say we're the public state champs
As equally dumb, imo, as blaming said loss on the fact you're facing a private school to begin with. But that doesn't stop people... 😁 😘 🐷

As equally dumb, imo, as blaming said loss on the fact you're facing a private school to begin with. But that doesn't stop people... 😁 😘 🐷
Here in Tennessee they separated them.And of course every year you get the Public Champs who say oh we could have beat the A,AA,AAA private champion.Yeah ok.Phil Acton from Bolingbrook said it best.Yes it sucks we have to play against kids who live right across the street from my school but when we get beat that means we just have to get better

I personally don't consider it coddling if your kids have busted their asses for 13 weeks and come up one game short. They've earned the right, imo. Now handing out t-shirts to kids for a 5-4 season that say "playoff qualifiers" or something along those lines... yeah, that's a bit, as they say, "tacky." I won't name names but the other school in Quincy has a few "we made the playoffs" shirts and signs in existence. Imagine being satisfied with qualifying... But I'm digressing. I wouldn't mind 3rd place games, just seems like a logistical nightmare in football.
I think it’s totally situation dependent on how much celebration to put into playoff qualifying. If you are the first group of kids from Joliet Central to qualify for the playoffs after decades of effort, then wear your shirt and fly your flag for as long as you want. You worked toward a goal and laid a foundation.

A kid at central seeking 5 wins is an even higher mountain to climb than those at mount Carmel or Cary-grove aiming for a state title.

You might reconsider your position on this after taking in a Mid September, Thursday 3:30 start at Eckersall Stadium... that’s football Baby!
I'm tired of arguing but i just love the Prep Bowl.Sure it's not the same from years ago but I just love it.The only thing i hate & i don't care if they get killed(The lower level CPS conference teams) is that all CPS conferences should be eligible for the City/Prep Bowl playoffs

The minute the state added playoff's the prep bowl became insignificant. It has the same value as the NIT tournament in basketball.

Someone in the know could explain how a team gets into the prep bowl. I thought if you lose in the playoffs you could be invited to play in the prep bowl. I could be wrong and I don’t know how teams are selected.

That's it, and why would you want to play after losing in the playoffs? At least that seems to be the consensus here.

Let's be honest. The prep bowl was as dumb as D1 football having bowl games and not a playoff system.

The minute the state added playoff's the prep bowl became insignificant. It has the same value as the NIT tournament in basketball.
Love both the NIT & Prep Bowl.Oh & for all of you wanted to get rid of the Prep Bowl just remember this.A high up for CPS told me if that ever happens that the CPS is going to make all the teams/conferences eligible for the state playoffs.So this past season about 10 more CPS teams would have gotten in & no 4-5 team

Reactions: GhostOfTheGhhost
Love both the NIT & Prep Bowl.Oh & for all of you wanted to get rid of the Prep Bowl just remember this.A high up for CPS told me if that ever happens that the CPS is going to make all the teams/conferences eligible for the state playoffs.So this past season about 10 more CPS teams would have gotten in & no 4-5 team
Is that really a threat? Give us our game or we will make you beat our teams by 60? Are the lower tier conferences even eligible for the Prep Bowl?

Love both the NIT & Prep Bowl.Oh & for all of you wanted to get rid of the Prep Bowl just remember this. A high up for CPS told me if that ever happens that the CPS is going to make all the teams/conferences eligible for the state playoffs.So this past season about 10 more CPS teams would have gotten in & no 4-5 team

No they wont.

That's it, and why would you want to play after losing in the playoffs? At least that seems to be the consensus here.

Let's be honest. The prep bowl was as dumb as D1 football having bowl games and not a playoff
I thought the consensus here was some football is better than no football? The prep bowl is awesome because it gives teams that play games on Thursday afternoon at 3 one week, then roll out at 9 am on a Saturday the next weekend, the opportunity to play for something meaningful to them. You realize there are a lot of teams in the CPL that go through an entire season and never get one “Friday Night Lights“ experience?

I thought the consensus here was some football is better than no football? The prep bowl is awesome because it gives teams that play games on Thursday afternoon at 3 one week, then roll out at 9 am on a Saturday the next weekend, the opportunity to play for something meaningful to them. You realize there are a lot of teams in the CPL that go through an entire season and never get one “Friday Night Lights“ experience?
Many people hate it because CPS teams & more so Catholic League teams get extra practice with the games.The IHSA says any school can keep practicing up until the day of the final state title games.The schools who don't get to play in the Prep Bowl playoffs cry & say the kids are playing other sports or why would we keep practicing? So then I say to them shut up.It really hit the fan when not long ago a 3-6 Catholic League team possibly 2 I'm think Fenwick & Notre Dame went 3-6 but had decent teams.Ran the table in the Catholic League playoffs & won the Prep Bowl to finish 7-6.or 8-6.Outrage occurred because they had 4 weeks possibly 5 of extra practice & people said unfair unfair.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT