ADVERTISEMENT

The Poor Coach Wants Commitments in Writing

It’s actually hilarious. The new transfer rules make it difficult. I guess they had it coming since they used to hold all the cards.
The transfer rules suck and NIL are ruining college football. College athletics is a choice and athletes always have the option to not participate in it.

The transfer rules suck and NIL are ruining college football. College athletics is a choice and athletes always have the option to not participate in it.
This is true but now they have options on where they want to play. The coaches still have control if they band together and agree to not offer a player off of the transfer portal. I actually agree with you I don’t like it but times have changed and they will continue to change and there is nothing you or I can do about it.

This is true but now they have options on where they want to play. The coaches still have control if they band together and agree to not offer a player off of the transfer portal.
Corey, that is called collusion. If it isn't illegal now in the college ranks, you can bet it soon will be.

Reactions: kwamizee
How do you feel its ruining college football? I think it will have more parity similar to March Madness this year.

I've known Mike since he was in grade school. I can tell you he cares about these kids, and genuinely wants what's best for them because he realizes the vast majority of them will never make a penny playing the sport, and that academics are far more important. Even those that make the NFL have a pretty high chance of ending up broke for many reasons, one of which is lack of education. The fact that there is zero loyalty from the players is the primary issue here. They have no skin in the game. If they sign with a school, that school is obligated to spend over six figures in most cases to educate, house and feed them. If it is turning into the NFL, I wuld like to see the schools have the ability to cancel these commitments as easily as the players do.
The days of recruiting kids to nuture, train, and build team are long gone. For the kids, they all think they should be a star NOW, get NIL money NOW. Maybe these kids on schalarship need to start getting a W-2 for the value of their education. When did it become so flippant that the value of the education is no longer part of the deal. Yes, March Madness was great this year. How many will make the NBA? How many will make the NBA and end up broke. How many on these rosters will finish school?

I've known Mike since he was in grade school. I can tell you he cares about these kids, and genuinely wants what's best for them because he realizes the vast majority of them will never make a penny playing the sport, and that academics are far more important. Even those that make the NFL have a pretty high chance of ending up broke for many reasons, one of which is lack of education. The fact that there is zero loyalty from the players is the primary issue here. They have no skin in the game. If they sign with a school, that school is obligated to spend over six figures in most cases to educate, house and feed them. If it is turning into the NFL, I wuld like to see the schools have the ability to cancel these commitments as easily as the players do.
The days of recruiting kids to nuture, train, and build team are long gone. For the kids, they all think they should be a star NOW, get NIL money NOW. Maybe these kids on schalarship need to start getting a W-2 for the value of their education. When did it become so flippant that the value of the education is no longer part of the deal. Yes, March Madness was great this year. How many will make the NBA? How many will make the NBA and end up broke. How many on these rosters will finish school?
Because half of the scholarship kids would pay barely anything to go to most of these state schools anyway. And is the ROE for a bachelor's degree the same as it was 20 years ago?

Reactions: gobears25
Should coaches not also be held to the same standard?

To be fair to kids, most coaches never recruited to nature, train or build at team. Coaches recruit to win. If you can help great, if not, you are just there. A great majority of the kids that are leaving are actually being forced out. Out of the 3000 plus kids that hit the portal, more than 2000 were forced into the portal. No one is willing to talk about that reality.

To be fair to kids, most coaches never recruited to nature, train or build at team. Coaches recruit to win. If you can help great, if not, you are just there. A great majority of the kids that are leaving are actually being forced out. Out of the 3000 plus kids that hit the portal, more than 2000 were forced into the portal. No one is willing to talk about that reality.
How are they "forced" into the portal? Their scholarships remain good regardless of whether they start, get minutes, or if the coaching staff that recruited them is fired or moves on. As long as they stay eligible academically, they don't have to leave.

Reactions: PRokie
Gee, an education and they are being “forced”

Reactions: Gene K.
How are they "forced" into the portal? Their scholarships remain good regardless of whether they start, get minutes, or if the coaching staff that recruited them is fired or moves on. As long as they stay eligible academically, they don't have to leave.
Coaches do very strange things to kids they don’t want and a scholarship is year to year. Try speaking with a majority of the kids in the portal and you will learn a lot.

Gee, an education and they are being “forced”
The problem is too many college athletes wouldn’t be in college if it wasn’t for athletics so they only see it as an opportunity to play pro ball and miss the real value of their scholarship which is the alumni network that is dying to give you a job you would have never been considered for without being a football player. I know multiple guys that were fringe role players in D1 that after college got hooked up with fantastic jobs, they are now cashing in at 45 on something that they earned when they were 18.

The problem is too many college athletes wouldn’t be in college if it wasn’t for athletics so they only see it as an opportunity to play pro ball and miss the real value of their scholarship which is the alumni network that is dying to give you a job you would have never been considered for without being a football player. I know multiple guys that were fringe role players in D1 that after college got hooked up with fantastic jobs, they are now cashing in at 45 on something that they earned when they were 18.
Another great example of understanding the big picture!! Commitment to a program and a school typically will have far greater benefits over time than the great chase will.
I think it would be fair to make a transfer sit out a year, and limit the number of times they can transfer. I also think if you enter the portal you should forfeit the balance of scholarship from where you are potentially leaving as well. I agree not all coaches are saints, but there needs to be limits on this stuff. It's freaking crazy a coach can leave and take players with them that are immediately eligible.

He earns more what’s your point? Many coaches don’t get schools to pay their buyout when they move.
My point is that your violin is playing for a guy who is making an astronomical amount of money. Coaches have historically left recruiting classes for better jobs. It wasn’t too long ago that a player who transferred had to sit out a year. Brian Kelly was on the recruitment trail the day after he inked his big money contract. Meanwhile, the student athletes always get discussed differently when they move to a new school.

My point is that your violin is playing for a guy who is making an astronomical amount of money. Coaches have historically left recruiting classes for better jobs. It wasn’t too long ago that a player who transferred had to sit out a year. Brian Kelly was on the recruitment trail the day after he inked his big money contract. Meanwhile, the student athletes always get discussed differently when they move to a new school.
Coaches and players are different basically you have a CEO and an hourly employee there is no business that treats them the some nor should they since one has a much higher overall value.

Reactions: Gene K. and PRokie
Coaches and players are different basically you have a CEO and an hourly employee there is no business that treats them the some nor should they since one has a much higher overall value.
Would you say Ed Orgeron was more valuable than Joe Burrow to LSU when they won the national championship?

Would you say Ed Orgeron was more valuable than Joe Burrow to LSU when they won the national championship?
Yes, he identified him and convinced him to go to LSU, he then went out and hired Joe Brady to run the offense that played to his skills. Everyone missed on Joe Burrow he wasn’t some huge recruit leaving Ohio State the only other school that wanted him was Cincinnati and he was planning to go there but LSU took a chance on him when most people thought he was a reach.

Reactions: PRokie
We should definitely be making this kind of comparison.

Are you serious?

I remember when I was just an hourly employee at Home Depot in college and how my stats allowed me to be drafted in the 2nd round of the National Advertising Association.

I was worried about my scholarship to the team when the CEO of the store left to become CEO of Accenture.

Reactions: AmbroseBlack
Players can negotiate multi year scholarships right now. The challenge is 80% of coaches won't give them as matter of principal, but the mechanism already exists.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT