ADVERTISEMENT

The IHSA Bowl system?

How about a conference championship game for the conferences with division?

MSL West champ vs MSL East champ
CSL North champ vs CSL South champ

Wouldn't mind a Palatine Vs Prospect or Maine South vs Maine West week 7.

Reactions: Fb0414 and Bowie50
Maybe Wheaton Warrenville South and Glenbard West can rekindle their rivalry in a bowl game.

I would like to see WWS play Glenbard West at Wheaton College, but I’ll settle for Naperville Central @ NCC. It’s the two schools the have played the most in the history of program but neither are on the schedule any more and both are rivalry games.

Reactions: brucealmighy
lol we both posted at the same time.
At least we can agree on something. I know you and I have been calling for a resumption of this rivalry for years. Doesn’t feel the same since this stopped being the kickoff to the season.

At least we can agree on something. I know you and I have been calling for a resumption of this rivalry for years. Doesn’t feel the same since this stopped being the kickoff to the season.

With WWS no longer in a closed conference I predict it comes back within the next 5 years since both schools want to play the game.

My dream MC 6 game schedule

JCA- Brown vs Brown. 27 combined State Titles between them.

LA- Conf Elites

BR- Conf Foe, rivalry picking up steam

Rita- All time Classic South Side rivalry

Phillips- I don’t know if CPS will play but this game was supposed to be week 2 and it was going to be a good one.

Bowl Game- LWE- Bring it on!

How about a conference championship game for the conferences with division?

MSL West champ vs MSL East champ
CSL North champ vs CSL South champ

Wouldn't mind a Palatine Vs Prospect or Maine South vs Maine West week 7.
Who do you like in the West KP? Do you have a predicted order of finish?

I counted 6 weekends for games. I think conferences with 12 teams and 2 divisions are basically set. I haven't heard any that aren't doing division games in Week 1-5 and week 6 being a crossover game. The two division winners playing each other for a conference championship. The others playing a rival from the other division or 2 plays 2, 3 plays 3 and so on.

I counted 6 weekends for games. I think conferences with 12 teams and 2 divisions are basically set. I haven't heard any that aren't doing division games in Week 1-5 and week 6 being a crossover game. The two division winners playing each other for a conference championship. The others playing a rival from the other division or 2 plays 2, 3 plays 3 and so on.
It will be interesting to see what the West Suburban Conference does with 7 teams in each division. Historically they had 1 crossover game for weeks 2-9 and 3 in division games. Obviously that will not be possible so some matchups will be skipped this spring.

Reactions: Grepos
So stay with me here. Since we’re obviously not going to have any postseason Why not come up with a bowl system. Let’s come up with football games throughout the state, say as a week seven reward. So here’s what we need to come up with.

First of all I figured the NCAA had 35 bowl games last year just to get an idea of how many we can work with..

Let’s also figure how many games per class. Various bowl sponsors of businesses located throughout the state Etc.

Example?

Class 6A

The Frankie’s Deli Bowl
The Fat johnnies Bowl

also do we have a 4 team championship system like the NCAA? Do we keep the bowl games featuring the top teams regardless or location or do we stick to regional opponents?

again think big, have fun and get creative.
Rather than playing a round robin conference schedule, each conference can play a three-game tournament to determine the conference champion. This would leave three games still available for determining a state champion, while staying within the six-game limit for the entire season.

For administrative ease, the conference tournaments can be seeded based on the final 2019 conference standings. Then, the eight conference champions state-wide with the largest student enrollments would be grouped into the 8A playoff. The set of eight conference champions with the next largest enrollments would be grouped into the 7A playoff, and so on and so forth. Each playoff bracket can be seeded based on the conference ratings found at any number of websites.

The bottom line is we can have a six-game football season that determines both conference champions and state champions. Why sacrifice the excitement of the playoffs when they can be played within the limit of a six-game season?

Naz vs. LTHS in the LaGrange Bowl

Newman vs. Sterling in the Silver Bowl

Mac vs. Herscher in the Grudge Bowl

IC vs York in the David vs Goliath Bowl

Reactions: Bowie50
Hearing the CCL blue schedule will stay put this spring. Guessing that's the case across all CCL/ESCC. No signs of bowl games or new opponents.

Slightly bummed they didn't read the great ideas from the thread but go football!

Rather than playing a round robin conference schedule, each conference can play a three-game tournament to determine the conference champion. This would leave three games still available for determining a state champion, while staying within the six-game limit for the entire season.

For administrative ease, the conference tournaments can be seeded based on the final 2019 conference standings. Then, the eight conference champions state-wide with the largest student enrollments would be grouped into the 8A playoff. The set of eight conference champions with the next largest enrollments would be grouped into the 7A playoff, and so on and so forth. Each playoff bracket can be seeded based on the conference ratings found at any number of websites.

The bottom line is we can have a six-game football season that determines both conference champions and state champions. Why sacrifice the excitement of the playoffs when they can be played within the limit of a six-game season?
I really like this plan. Some conferences would need 4 weeks as they have more than 8 teams. Remember, Soucie's district idea. Those districts might be good with this plan.

Reactions: Fb0414
A few opinions here ... NO FACTS. Just opinion. Only fact is that football according to the IHSA is a six-game season, period.
Opinion 1) Whoever posted the idea of the 24-team Catholic League developing its own playoff system for this season ought to be considered for idea of the year, but ONLY if the plan gets followed up on and implemented.
Last year, there were six four-team divisions in the league, and the teams are divided I guess based on some combination of enrollment and number of players and success in the win-loss column.
(FYI: The only thing I really know about the Catholic League is that I have kept a Carmel High School Corsairs winter hat which I got during their state-title run in the early 2000s.)
That said, I do know a brilliant idea when I read one, and this Catholic League thing that was posted really could become the envy of the rest of the state if it's implemented.
Four-team divisions, playing a round-robin. After three weeks, the top two teams in the four biggest-school divisions form an eight-team Gold Bracket, the bottom two teams in the biggest-school divisions form an eight-team Silver Bracket, and the eight teams in the two smaller divisions form the Bronze Bracket.
You then play three weeks of tourney play, in which. the single-elimination bracket play out in both winner's and loser's brackets so that on the final weekend, there is a 1st-place game, a 3rd-place game, a 5th-place game, and a 7th-place game in each of the Gold, Silver and Bronze brackets.
Each bracket gets six games and when the six-week season is over, three teams will feel like champions and no more than 2 teams could finish 0-6.
Obviously, in a division, there could be a 3-0 team and three 1-2 teams, or there could be three 2-1 teams and one 0-3 teams. Come up with a tiebreaker. That stuff comes up in Christmas season holiday hoops tourneys every year. Settle on a tiebreaker and you're good to go.
Again, this is not my idea. Somebody suggested it on this site. The challenge is to communicate to whoever is in charge of the Catholic League. There must be somebody to make it happen.
Opinion 2) I think the number of senior boys who play football for this six-week season is going to be way less than what many people believe, based on months and months of comments on this site regarding how kids want to play one final season with their classmates/teammates before hanging up the pads for good.
This is the thought process ... opinion only.
Football is not fun. Basketball is fun ... going into a gym and launching 3-point shots and trying halfcourt heaves, etc. It's fun to have a basketball in the gym, and even more fun when you have someone with you to shag the ball for you.
Football is a completely different animal. The ultimate team sport for boys ... obviously.
But, the theory of wanting to get film of a kid in a game makes total sense for current juniors. By April 1, virtually every senior who is planning on playing football in college at some level (D1, D2, D3 NAIA, etc.) has already been admitted to the school so no tape on games played in April will matter. For juniors, yes, get your tape. But seniors? National signing day is in February.
But beyond the matter of getting game tape, there's the hard work that it takes to play football. Forget the weather. Football is tough. So the question is: Why do kids who are never going to play football again after high school play?
Well, there's the comroderie in school, but school now is hybrid and heck, some schools are still all remote, and not just the Chicago Public Schools either.
There's no Homecoming week to get excited for. There's no pep rally. There's no talk in the school cafeteria about the upcoming game. There's also no playoff berth to try and earn. Even a league title may be shaky. I am just picking a league here ... the eight-team Fox Valley Conference. You only have six games so some teams won't face each other. What if Huntley doesn't play Prairie Ridge? Or what if Cary-Grove doesn't play Huntley? Now, even the "big game" against the rival might not happen.
Plus, there's the fact that basketball and football DO overlap. A basketball player ends his season and then joins the football team for 10 practice days before he can play on Week 2 of the six-week season. So for basketball players, the football season is just five weeks long.
For baseball players, the football season ends on April 23/24, Baseball's first game can be played on April 13. So a football player who wants to play baseball is going to miss the first two weeks of baseball games, at least.
A senior who's not going to play football in college, but likes playing sports, can play the basketball season and baseball season (or track if. you so desire), and not miss anything. Playing football means what? Quitting basketball two weeks before the end of the season, and joining a baseball program after two games of games have been played? How does a baseball head coach select his team if he's going to get football players after two weeks of games.
Basically, seniors who are ending their football playing days this spring are going to have difficult choices. And knowing how difficult the sport of football is, I just believe the number of senior players will be way down.
Opinion 3) Freshman football is in big trouble in terms of numbers of players.
Obviously, the number of football players is down in many places due to the concussion thing. That's reality.
But think about a freshman who has to decide basically now what sport or sports he wants to pursue for the next four school years.
If he wants to play basketball, he misses the start of football practice and the first game. If the kid's a future college, that's OK. But I'm talking about the freshman who like to play sports and wants to be part of a team.
If he plays basketball, how can he play football? He's going to be way, way behind.
If he plays baseball, how can h e play football? He's going to be way way behind in baseball. And seriously, baseball is kind of a roster-limited sport. A coach is going to select his freshman team of let's just say 20 players, and then after playing two weeks of games, seven freshmen who just finished their football season are going to show up and say they want to play? How does everybody get playing time? How do tryouts work?
I don't think it will work out at all, and the freshmen will decide what they want to play, and the gut feeling here is that basketball, baseball and track will trump football for the average athlete who wants to be on a team.
Thanks for reading and, again, if someone could push that Catholic League football playoff plan to somebody who needs to hear about it, that would be a good thing.

Coal City's schedule was publicized, have not seen Wilmington's yet. Here is a thought I have after seeing CCs weak 5 game schedule (not a shot at them, just my honest opinion).

I understand that conferences have to be loyal to each other and it was probably a rush to get things buttoned up with the limited time provided, but with the topic of bowls at hand, why are we not seeing teams schedule some crazy matchups. There's no playoff seeding to worry about. Teams should be scheduling dream matchups they may not get to have otherwise. Just my two cents after a few after work brews........

Who do you like in the West KP? Do you have a predicted order of finish?
Palatine
Barrington
Fremd
Hoffman Estates
Conant
Schaumburg

If it were a nine game season and 5 wins to playoff eligibility, I could see everyone except Schaumburg making the playoffs.

Reactions: Bowie50
Coal City's schedule was publicized, have not seen Wilmington's yet. Here is a thought I have after seeing CCs weak 5 game schedule (not a shot at them, just my honest opinion).

I understand that conferences have to be loyal to each other and it was probably a rush to get things buttoned up with the limited time provided, but with the topic of bowls at hand, why are we not seeing teams schedule some crazy matchups. There's no playoff seeding to worry about. Teams should be scheduling dream matchups they may not get to have otherwise. Just my two cents after a few after work brews........

Staying in-conference, but only 5 games...haven't heard of any craziness...

Manteno: @RC, CC, @ Peotone, Streator, @Herscher...

Peotone: Herscher, @ Streator, Manteno, @ Lisle, Wilmington

Wilmington: Lisle, @ Herscher, @RC, CC, @ Peotone

CC: Streator, @ Manteno, Lisle, @ Wilmo, RC

RC: Manteno, @ Lisle, Wilmo, Herscher, @CC

Herscher: @Peotone, Wilmington, @ Streator, RC, Manteno

Streator: @CC, Peotone, Herscher, @Manteno, Lisle

Lisle: @ Wilmo, RC, @CC, Peotone, @ Streator

Last edited:
Based on your response, I think you need the medication.

It's easy to say "why can't they play until Memorial Day", but it's not an easy problem. Once football is done, you have track and field, lacrosse, and girls soccer that might need the fields, plus all the other sports looking for weight room/indoor space. You have multi-sport athletes that want to play football, but also want to do wrestling, track, lacrosse, baseball, volleyball, etc. Extending the football season eliminates that opportunity.
The safety issue is a bigger deal, giving a 15 year old, only 8 weeks break between a 6-8 week season and then as long as a 12-17 weeks season is not the way to protect student athletes.

The safety issue is a bigger deal, giving a 15 year old, only 8 weeks break between a 6-8 week season and then as long as a 12-17 weeks season is not the way to protect student athletes.

But it's safe for a football player to play until April 24th, then go into another demanding sport like wrestling, track or lacrosse until middle of June then start football back up in July?

Reactions: crusader_of_90
I’m not concerned at all about athletes rest between spring and fall, none whatsoever. These are 15-18 year old kids. Ihsa only allows so many contact days of practice prior to games as well, so anything happening in summer will be light contact.

But it's safe for a football player to play until April 24th, then go into another demanding sport like wrestling, track or lacrosse until middle of June then start football back up in July?
Demanding but different, that is the key. same reason why it is good to be a multi sport athlete.
Wrestling, and Track and field, were not collision sports, and Lacrosse to a much lesser degree than Football

Last edited:
Demanding but different, that is the key. same reason why it is good to be a multi sport athlete.
Wrestling, and Track and field, were not collision sports, and Lacrosse to a much lesser degree than Football

Rugby is as much a collision sport as football, if not more and that season goes from march until the end of May beginning of June.

Those three sport athletes (specifically if one is football) are over-worked in the summer more than anything prior to the pandemic.

What is your alternative?
Keep it to 5 games in the spring. I know it sucks, especially for Seniors. but if you are a JR, or a coach and your team has a legit chance for a State championship in the fall, do you want to risk injuries for the warm glow of achievement that this sham of a spring season is shaping up to be? and as a coach, who do you favor with playing time? Seniors, or those underclassmen that will be playing for something in the fall?
Illinois should have played in the fall, like most other states, but we didn't and now we're trying to put the genie back into the bottle.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT