ADVERTISEMENT

The guy from Maine South is best coach in the state.

I never said ANY coach. I said there were a lot of coaches that could take that talent every year and be quite successful. Loyola is well coached defensively. They had great game plans for beating both LWE and BR. Does their offensive acumen blow you away? No but they traditionally (not as much this year) have had some huge lineman with athleticism that protect your QB and open holes for speedy backs. Your local resources don't always supply you with that talent. When you can pull kids from outside your locality that is a HUGE advantage. Even if it is only 3 or 4 kids. That alone can make the difference.

You didn't say any coach, but I felt that was your implication. As for being able to pull kids from outside our locality is a huge advantage, I don't see that is the case. If that were true, then all private schools would be successful relative to the poor public schools that can only draw 95% or more of the high school age kids from within their districts.

Not counting Ivy League, 1AA - LA may get 1-2 a year. For example, I believe Armoni Dixon is LA's only D-1 recruit this year.

More often than not, it's 2-3 kids going to FCS schools, and anywhere from 0-2 kids going FBS. Even when Tommy Herion was all state and all CCL a couple of years ago, the only way he could go to Iowa was as a walk on. He has since transferred to an FCS school (New Hampshire).

You didn't say any coach, but I felt that was your implication. As for being able to pull kids from outside our locality is a huge advantage, I don't see that is the case. If that were true, then all private schools would be successful relative to the poor public schools that can only draw 95% or more of the high school age kids from within their districts.
No because there are a lot brutally bad coaches too. Many of those in the CPS that waste good talent. I am referring to the Suburban publics that simply pull the kids in their school district.

Be intellectually honest. Would Loyola even be a playoff team every year with just the kids in the Wilmette school district?

Bones, 95%? Oswego, the Beast, Maine South, Brother Rice? Perhaps if you are looking historically, but that 95% doesn't hold up well this year.

I would also add preparation by coaches comes into play re being "physically better."
Maybe LWE was better physically. Not the others. Sometimes you just don't have the bodies. This and last year our Mike LB was 5'6" listed at 180. Haven't seen that at Loyola. Coaches can't coach that to 6'2" 200.

I've never seen a Loyola team and wondered how a specific kid is on the field. Now granted looks can be deceiving, but p,,,

Reactions: FalconPadre
No because there are a lot brutally bad coaches too. Many of those in the CPS that waste good talent. I am referring to the Suburban publics that simply pull the kids in their school district.

Be intellectually honest. Would Loyola even be a playoff team every year with just the kids in the Wilmette school district?

With Holecek as coach, and with the number of kids it currently enrolls from within the New Trier school district that includes Wilmette? Sure. Keep in mind that, in the scenario you pose, Loyola would be a much smaller school and competing against the same in the regular season.

Holecek is a top flight coach. If Wheaton North had him I would easily tack on 3+ victories a year for that program.

Reactions: Gene K.
They would not improve that much defensively and that is Holocek's forte.
There's so much more to being a great head coach than just X's and O's. He would improve the coaching around him and culture of the program as well. He wouldn't just be improving the defense. That's foolish.

Reactions: LAguy
There's so much more to being a great head coach than just X's and O's. He would improve the coaching around him and culture of the program as well. He wouldn't just be improving the defense. That's foolish.

The culture of the program is fine. If he could pull in a great OC than yeah he could maybe add 3 victories some years. But that is something they could do without his input.

2 Middle Schools. That is all most High Schools pull from:

http://www.wilmette39.org

Good luck.

First of all, you are underinformed. There is more than one elementary school district serving Wilmette.

Secondly, what is your point? Why do you want to limit Loyola to just Wilmette? New Trier draws from all of Wilmette, Winnetka, Kenilworth, Glencoe, Northfield, and part of Glenview. Maine East draws from parts of Park Ridge, Niles, Des Plaines and Glenview. Stevenson draws from parts of Buffalo Grove, Deerfield, Long Grove, Lincolnshire, Riverwoods, Hawthorn Woods, Long Grove and Lake Zurich.

What do you think you are trying to prove with your ridiculous scenario?

First of all, you are underinformed. There is more than one elementary school district serving Wilmette.

Secondly, what is your point? Why do you want to limit Loyola to just Wilmette? New Trier draws from all of Wilmette, Winnetka, Kenilworth, Glencoe, Northfield, and part of Glenview. Maine East draws from parts of Park Ridge, Niles, Des Plaines and Glenview. Stevenson draws from parts of Buffalo Grove, Deerfield, Long Grove, Lincolnshire, Riverwoods, Hawthorn Woods, Long Grove and Lake Zurich.

What do you think you are trying to prove with your ridiculous scenario?
Wheaton North pulls from two Middle Schools. The other Middle Schools in Wheaton go to Wheaton South and some even go to Glenbard West and Glenbard South. That is pretty typical for most public high schools in the Suburbs. Did I ever mention New Trier or Stevenson? Does deflection help your argument?

Also would adding Marie Murphy Middle School be the key addition to putting Loyola over the top vs. LWE? Just curious.

Wheaton North pulls from two Middle Schools. The other Middle Schools in Wheaton go to Wheaton South and some even go to Glenbard West and Glenbard South. That is pretty typical for most public high schools in the Suburbs. Did I ever mention New Trier or Stevenson? Does deflection help your argument?

You are trying to put Loyola into your nice neat little Wheaton example. I'm saying that what you think is typical by you is atypical up by Loyola.

Every situation is different. Maine South does have some advantages in being able to pull from such a wide geography. Stevenson should be a state contender every year with with their size and resources. Wheaton North is more the rule then the exception. To deny there is a significant advantage to having the ability to pull from such a wide geographic area is naive.

Also would adding Marie Murphy Middle School be the key addition to putting Loyola over the top vs. LWE? Just curious.

Wilmette is half the size of Wheaton and is substantially smaller than what LWE draws from their district (although I would like Loyola's chances with Holecek and Wilmette kids over Zvonar with LWE kids limited to those living in Frankfort only.)

If Loyola were to draw only from Wilmette, it would be a substantially smaller school, and would never face LWE in the first place. Your scenario is just plain stupid and proves nothing.

Reactions: LAguy
Wilmette is half the size of Wheaton and is substantially smaller than what LWE draws from their district (although I would like Loyola's chances with Holecek and Wilmette kids over Zvonar with LWE kids limited to those living in Frankfort only.)

If Loyola were to draw only from Wilmette, it would be a substantially smaller school, and would never face LWE in the first place. Your scenario is just plain stupid and proves nothing.
2 middle school’s is less then half of Wheaton so yeah I guess Loyola would have an advantage with all of Wilmette. Thanks for improving on that part of my point.

Why does it make you feel better to think you have just average kids that travel from all over the Metro Suburban area to learn how to play football? Do you think the kids perceive themselves that way?

Every situation is different. Maine South does have some advantages in being able to pull from such a wide geography. Stevenson should be a state contender every year with with their size and resources. Wheaton North is more the rule then the exception. To deny there is a significant advantage to having the ability to pull from such a wide geographic area is naive.

What is naive is your assertion that the ability to draw students should equate to academic success. If that were the case, schools like Waukegan and Morton should be competitive every year, and that simply is not the case. If that were the case, St. Edward out in Elgin should be a powerhouse...but they aren't.

You were right when you said that every situation is different. You should have stopped there.

Sometimes I think the disconnect between the two sides is too great for it to be bridged. Honestly I don't know much about the student body at NT but 3600 students probably would net 150 kids in the program max with maybe 20 that should actually see time in a contested varsity contest in any given year.

How long would it take Burzawa to turn Evanston to a contender?

Reactions: LAguy and eagles2k3
What is naive is your assertion that the ability to draw students should equate to academic success. If that were the case, schools like Waukegan and Morton should be competitive every year, and that simply is not the case. If that were the case, St. Edward out in Elgin should be a powerhouse...but they aren't.

You were right when you said that every situation is different. You should have stopped there.
Who said anything about academics? Where did you go to school? Deflection High?

2 middle school’s is less then half of Wheaton so yeah I guess Loyola would have an advantage with all of Wilmette. Thanks for improving on that part of my point.

I have no idea what you are talking about. Do you?

Why does it make you feel better to think you have just average kids that travel from all over the Metro Suburban area to learn how to play football? Do you think the kids perceive themselves that way?

WHERE DID I SAY THAT?

I stated that Loyola draws a lot of above average athletes. Do you have problems with reading comprehension?

ALL OVER the metro suburban area? Does that include Wheaton? Warrenville? Winfield? Flossmoor? Pretty positive that the vast majority of Loyola's suburban kids on the football team are from the north and northwest suburbs only.

It's clear to me that you realize you have been vanquished in this argument. If not, why resort to hyperbole and to claim that you know what I think?

WHERE DID I SAY THAT?

I stated that Loyola draws a lot of above average athletes. Do you have problems with reading comprehension?

ALL OVER the metro suburban area? Does that include Wheaton? Warrenville? Winfield? Flossmoor? Pretty positive that the vast majority of Loyola's suburban kids on the football team are from the north and northwest suburbs only.

It's clear to me that you realize you have been vanquished in this argument. If not, why resort to hyperbole and to claim that you know what I think?

WHERE DID I SAY THAT?

It’s cute that you think you are doing well in this argument. I am surprised you are still here. Oh and your comprehension sucks as you have already proven numerous times in this thread.

Not counting Ivy League, 1AA - LA may get 1-2 a year. For example, I believe Armoni Dixon is LA's only D-1 recruit this year.

Outside of maybe 10-12 schools in Illinois, no one has a D-1, 1aa or Ivy level player every season. Most schools see one every 5-10 years.

Reactions: ClownBaby
As if Loyola isn't physically better than 95% of the teams they face. I'm not saying Holecek isn't a great coach, but to deny this is disingenuous.
This. I get Loyola does not get high end d1 kids all the time. However they get stud kids who go on to play at the Ivy’s or in the patriot league, while not d1 is great football. I don’t have time to go through all of the rosters but I looked at 2 schools and there were 4 Loyola players on two rosters. I would guess that Loyola has more players go on to play in college than any other school. Don’t get me wrong I think that’s great and a measure of their tradition and coaching. The only issue I have is that some Loyola guys say they don’t have studs. Loyola is better at every position than 95% of schools...on top of great coaching.

I usually stay out of these things but I am a big fan of John Holocek. Does anyone think that Loyola had more talent than the last three teams they played on their way to the championship?( Maine South, Lincoln Way East, Brother Rice) I’d even throw Oswego in there. I know Edgy had talked them up as a very talented team earlier in the season in one of his Between the Lines podcasts.

Falcon you sound like a child. Move on.
Yeah that was a bit immature but let’s recap Ramblin’s contentions:

1. Loyola is only able to overcome their athletic, size and talent disadvantages vs public schools through their superior coaching.
2. Loyola’s football team is made up of mostly local kids with a smattering of just above average outsiders.
3. Being able to pull kids from outside of your school district is somehow a disadvantage.
4. New Trier should be perennial state champs with the correct coaching.

How could I not agree with these statements? I must be crazy. I concede.

Reactions: Cross Bones
I usually stay out of these things but I am a big fan of John Holocek. Does anyone think that Loyola had more talent than the last three teams they played on their way to the championship?( Maine South, Lincoln Way East, Brother Rice) I’d even throw Oswego in there. I know Edgy had talked them up as a very talented team earlier in the season in one of his Between the Lines podcasts.
Well, yes. Other than LWE I think it was clear that Loyola was the physically better team than the ones mentioned.

Last edited:
Reactions: ClownBaby and mc140
Yeah that was a bit immature but let’s recap Ramblin’s contentions:

1. Loyola is only able to overcome their athletic, size and talent disadvantages vs public schools through their superior coaching.
2. Loyola’s football team is made up of mostly local kids with a smattering of just above average outsiders.
3. Being able to pull kids from outside of your school district is somehow a disadvantage.
4. New Trier should be perennial state champs with the correct coaching.

How could I not agree with these statements? I must be crazy. I concede.

I've contended none of the above. But, of course, you know that. You are at the point in this argument where you resort to immaturity, hyperbole, and claiming that I contend things that I did not.

Move along now. Nothing to see here.

Reactions: lookoutforliam
This. I get Loyola does not get high end d1 kids all the time. However they get stud kids who go on to play at the Ivy’s or in the patriot league, while not d1 is great football. I don’t have time to go through all of the rosters but I looked at 2 schools and there were 4 Loyola players on two rosters. I would guess that Loyola has more players go on to play in college than any other school. Don’t get me wrong I think that’s great and a measure of their tradition and coaching. The only issue I have is that some Loyola guys say they don’t have studs. Loyola is better at every position than 95% of schools...on top of great coaching.
98%

Bowie, if you had to estimate what % of kids on this year's LA varsity roster are from the village of Glenview, the eastern border of which is within a five minute walk from the SW corner of LA's main campus, and which also contains Loyola's athletic campus, what would you say it is? Not just OLPH kids, but all of Glenview. I'm going to guess between a quarter and a third.

LA fans I really like you guys and admire that program and coach. That said, In an effort to counter claims that LA has an advantage over many (not all) public schools in terms of being able to draw athletes from a wider geographical area, you may have gone a bit too far in devaluing that ability. I realize some of you feel compelled to take that position because of the many dimwits on here that try to minimize and discredit LA football’s success.

I personally believe it is an advantage in some cases but not one that can be viewed as “the reason” why Loyola has been so successful. It’s more of a contributing factor that requires a lot of other supporting factors to be in place to result in that level of consistent success. Coaching (philosophy, culture and system), facilities and training equipment, community / booster support, and team chemistry / player leadership are also a big part of why LA wins.

Last edited:
Bowie, if you had to estimate what % of kids on this year's LA varsity roster are from the village of Glenview, the eastern border of which is within a five minute walk from the SW corner of LA's main campus, and which also contains Loyola's athletic campus, what would you say it is? Not just OLPH kids, but all of Glenview. I'm going to guess between a quarter and a third.
I’m trying to find a roster with grade schools listed. I think you’re probably right. I’m trying to think back when I played. We had kids from Barrington, Palatine, buffalo grove, Inverness, grays lake, mount prospect, etc. however, probably 25-35% of our roster were glenview kids.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT