ADVERTISEMENT

The guy from Maine South is best coach in the state.

teye69

Jan 1, 2004
The Loyola coach is very good too but has a ton of talent that comes from all directions. I am a fan of both men but MS coaches what comes from the district. LA can take kids from anywhere. More importantly they both offer great educations and kids go on to be successful.

The district pays an average of almost $20k per student, and the average teacher salary is $115k. And tuition is zero. Don't tell me he's doing a lot with a little.

Both are very good coaches. Many programs near them with equal talent that have not done much over the last 10 years. Could name 2 for sure but do not wish to be negative.

Reactions: Gene K.
According to Chi Town Chugger the most vocal Main South backer I have seen on the board - it isn't about the coaches.....it is about the "school bands"......that determine who wins games........! Coaches like Inserra and Holecek don't matter.......BTW the way - I am huge backer of HS bands and I think they are great..........the Main South Band at the 1/4 final game was very good............LA is better than they have been in past ...but the main south band was good! And the top band I saw this year was Minooka - ! They where like 100 Kids .......and they where fantastic......had a flag team - they looked like a college marching band....great sound !!!! Maybe we should forget the football chatting and talk about who's school has the best bands! However I am sure the private schools would be accused of recruiting for the bands !

Hold on to your hat...and if you don't own a hat...go buy one and get ready to hold the F&%$ on to it!

Reactions: markmacaluso
The Loyola coach is very good too but has a ton of talent that comes from all directions. I am a fan of both men but MS coaches what comes from the district. LA can take kids from anywhere. More importantly they both offer great educations and kids go on to be successful.
Great. Thanks for sharing.

I LOVED playing schools with a band. I still get chills thinking of playing West and their band playing "their song" with their fans singing:

Bellevile West
Bu Bu Bu Bu Belleville West ...

I rocked out to that and always made sure to give a thumbs up and acknowledge the bands from other schools. (Lots of chicks in the band too!)

Tell me more about that tons of talent that LA has. Be specific. You claim that MS coaches what comes from the district. To a large extent, it also coaches what comes from its Park Ridge Falcons feeder program with kids who have known each other and played on the same feeder program team for years. So, what does come from the district and the Falcons? Tell me how many D1 players LA and MS have produced this year and over the past 5-10 years. Compare and contrast.

Or, would you just prefer to make pronouncements without anything to back it up?

I described it once that if I had to pick someone to run my program for years I'd take Halecek, but if I needed a coach for one week and game day I'd take Inserra. There are other coaches in the discussion obviously.

According to Chi Town Chugger the most vocal Main South backer I have seen on the board - it isn't about the coaches.....it is about the "school bands"......that determine who wins games........! Coaches like Inserra and Holecek don't matter.......BTW the way - I am huge backer of HS bands and I think they are great..........the Main South Band at the 1/4 final game was very good............LA is better than they have been in past ...but the main south band was good! And the top band I saw this year was Minooka - ! They where like 100 Kids .......and they where fantastic......had a flag team - they looked like a college marching band....great sound !!!! Maybe we should forget the football chatting and talk about who's school has the best bands! However I am sure the private schools would be accused of recruiting for the bands !
Hahahahaha

Tell me more about that tons of talent that LA has. Be specific. You claim that MS coaches what comes from the district. To a large extent, it also coaches what comes from its Park Ridge Falcons feeder program with kids who have known each other and played on the same feeder program team for years. So, what does come from the district and the Falcons? Tell me how many D1 players LA and MS have produced this year and over the past 5-10 years. Compare and contrast.

Or, would you just prefer to make pronouncements without anything to back it up?

Forget this guy, I don’t think he is trying to stir something up. Maine South has a great feeder program in Park Ridge where most of us went to Maine South. On a 25-30 man 8th grade team 20-22 went to south 1 or 2 went to Maine West or East, 2-4 went to ND and 2-4 went to Loyola. This is great for Maine South. Inserra is a GREAT coach and has a good idea of the talent coming. Holecek is an equally GREAT coach, but other than a couple kids that LA recruits from the area, they find out every August what their freshman class looks like. The statement that Loyola can pick from anywhere is ridiculous. Loyola’s roster is made up of some Chicago kids that parents don’t want to go to CPS schools and they pay the 17K, but a lot of Glenview, Wilmette, Northbrook, Park Ridge, Evanston kids with excellent academic options(GBS,NT,MS,GBN,Evanston) but believe in Jesuit education; or have the means to send their kid to LA for a great Jesuit education, and play for coach Holecek. Try convincing someone who pays 12K-15k in property taxes in Glenview to give up free education at GBS to pay an additional 17K for Loyola.

Last edited:
I agree that in almost every sport the Catholic school coaches are overrated. Loyola pulls from what 70 zip codes? I would love a team that just has all the players in Wheaton and see how that team does or St Charles for that matter, Hinsdale, Naperville, etc. etc. There is great coaches all over the state playing with just the kids from the neighborhood. Nothing against those coaches. They are also fantastic coaches and leader of young men but I just believe they get a bit overrated because of the talent they have at their disposal.

I agree that in almost every sport the Catholic school coaches are overrated. Loyola pulls from what 70 zip codes? I would love a team that just has all the players in Wheaton and see how that team does or St Charles for that matter, Hinsdale, Naperville, etc. etc. There is great coaches all over the state playing with just the kids from the neighborhood. Nothing against those coaches. They are also fantastic coaches and leader of young men but I just believe they get a bit overrated because of the talent they have at their disposal.

This argument gets so old. If it were as easy as you thought to get all these players, every Catholic school would be great at every sport. There are great Catholic school coaches, just like there are poor ones. No different than in the public schools. Your comment that almost every sport the Catholic school coach is overrated is both silly and uninformed. What to you base that on?

This argument gets so old. If it were as easy as you thought to get all these players, every Catholic school would be great at every sport. There are great Catholic school coaches, just like there are poor ones. No different than in the public schools. Your comment that almost every sport the Catholic school coach is overrated is both silly and uninformed. What to you base that on?
A bit of hyperbole. Just the sports I am familiar with of course.

If only my school could've had a better coach when I was growing up... he could've coached our offensive line from average 5'10" to 6"3" and from 165 pounds up to 265 pounds, and maybe gotten some of our running backs coached down from a 5.1 second 40 yd dash to 4.5. I guess our coaches just weren't that great. None of that could be done by recruiting, only by coaching.

If only my school could've had a better coach when I was growing up... he could've coached our offensive line from average 5'10" to 6"3" and from 165 pounds up to 265 pounds, and maybe gotten some of our running backs coached down from a 5.1 second 40 yd dash to 4.5. I guess our coaches just weren't that great. None of that could be done by recruiting, only by coaching.

And your point? Because some schools have better players, they can't have good coaches?

LA rarely gets D-1 talent.

Define Rarely.

Check out Edgy's All State team that he just posted. No Rambler made it. That isn't a complaint, but it is par for the course. It probably happens more often than not.

Furthermore, when Loyola players move on to D1 in college, they typically go to schools like Colgate, UConn, Fordham, Butler, etc. Rarely (look it up if you need a definition) do they go to big time programs or FBS schools in general.

You can have great athletes without the size to be D1 athletes. You can have monsters on defense that just aren't quite D1 speed too. The more of those you have the more likely you are to win.

LA football draws a lot of above average athletes, but relatively few great ones.

I 100% disagree with your premise in your posts in this thread that anybody can coach great players and get them to win.

Holecek DOESN'T get a ton of studs. The zip code thing makes a great factoid to be regurgitated by color commentators. However, simply because LA attracts kids from lots of zip codes does not mean that LA is out there recruiting and enrolling studs from those zips.

What makes Holecek a great coach is that he is able to take a squad primarily composed of average and above average athletes and mold into a team that plays and competes at a very high level. And he does this year in and year out. By the way, he does this without the benefit of a single feeder program that provides the vast majority of players on his teams. If anything, he is underrated as a coach.

Gonzalez did make Edgy's squad....heading to Penn Ramblin.

Everyone is going to find a way to complain. It is what it is. John is an exceptional coach- one I think any school in the state would love to have at the helm. I would second Ramblin's thoughts re taking average to above average athletes and molding them into a TEAM. His preparation, dedication and execution is second to none.

Check out Edgy's All State team that he just posted. No Rambler made it. That isn't a complaint, but it is par for the course. It probably happens more often than not.

Furthermore, when Loyola players move on to D1 in college, they typically go to schools like Colgate, UConn, Fordham, Butler, etc. Rarely (look it up if you need a definition) do they go to big time programs or FBS schools in general.

Most high schools don’t send kids to that level of college ball, so relative to who they play against they have more talent. Also at the HS give me 6 kids going FCS over 1 kid going the Big 10, quantity matters in football unlike some other sports.

Holecek is a very good coach and built the program up from the bottom but to act like Loyola is the sisters of the poor and they have no talent only coaching just isn’t true.

As if Loyola isn't physically better than 95% of the teams they face. I'm not saying Holecek isn't a great coach, but to deny this is disingenuous.
Bones, 95%? Oswego, the Beast, Maine South, Brother Rice? Perhaps if you are looking historically, but that 95% doesn't hold up well this year.

I would also add preparation by coaches comes into play re being "physically better."

Reactions: LAguy and Gene K.
Gonzalez did make Edgy's squad....heading to Penn Ramblin.

Everyone is going to find a way to complain. It is what it is. John is an exceptional coach- one I think any school in the state would love to have at the helm. I would second Ramblin's thoughts re taking average to above average athletes and molding them into a TEAM. His preparation, dedication and execution is second to none.

Don't know how I missed him since I was looking for him and didn't see him at first.

There again, he will be playing for Penn, a school with one bowl game played in 1916 under its belt. They lost.

Most high schools don’t send kids to that level of college ball, so relative to who they play against they have more talent. Also at the HS give me 6 kids going FCS over 1 kid going the Big 10, quantity matters in football unlike some other sports.

Holecek is a very good coach and built the program up from the bottom but to act like Loyola is the sisters of the poor and they have no talent only coaching just isn’t true.

Wish we had six FCS kids this year or most years. We don't.

As if Loyola isn't physically better than 95% of the teams they face. I'm not saying Holecek isn't a great coach, but to deny this is disingenuous.

All I am saying is that Loyola doesn't get the studs that people think it gets. I already admitted that LA draws a lot of above average athletes.

LA football draws a lot of above average athletes, but relatively few great ones.

I 100% disagree with your premise in your posts in this thread that anybody can coach great players and get them to win.

Holecek DOESN'T get a ton of studs. The zip code thing makes a great factoid to be regurgitated by color commentators. However, simply because LA attracts kids from lots of zip codes does not mean that LA is out there recruiting and enrolling studs from those zips.

What makes Holecek a great coach is that he is able to take a squad primarily composed of average and above average athletes and mold into a team that plays and competes at a very high level. And he does this year in and year out. By the way, he does this without the benefit of a single feeder program that provides the vast majority of players on his teams. If anything, he is underrated as a coach.

I never said ANY coach. I said there were a lot of coaches that could take that talent every year and be quite successful. Loyola is well coached defensively. They had great game plans for beating both LWE and BR. Does their offensive acumen blow you away? No but they traditionally (not as much this year) have had some huge lineman with athleticism that protect your QB and open holes for speedy backs. Your local resources don't always supply you with that talent. When you can pull kids from outside your locality that is a HUGE advantage. Even if it is only 3 or 4 kids. That alone can make the difference.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT