ADVERTISEMENT

The Future of Conferences/Leagues?

JLPlayer73

Mar 20, 2005
With all the movement in and out of established conferences and leagues, which ones can and will survive? With emphasis on being competitive in the various state playoffs, has high school sport evolved past the point of necessitating the conference/league structure? What are some alternatives?

JL

With all the various multipliers, success rules etc. (particularly in football), how's this going to work? Will it involve every sport men's and women's? Does any other state have a set up like this? How does it affect playoff points?

I realize this may have been discussed here in the past, but I'm curious how this is going to work out. As mentioned above, it appears to be a matter of time.

Demographics change, athletic programs change and conferences readjust. Happens all of the time and at all levels. No need for districts. Have seen the proposals and they are all bad. Really bad. CPS schools lumped in with Catholic schools. Rivals in different districts. Ruins football. The states that have done it.........hate it. Coaches and fans complain about it all of the time. All you guys would have a field day with it. You would all lose your jobs due to posting threads all day. No districts. Let the schools sort it out themselves......they'll be just fine.

I don't argue there might be a push towards districts. Might be nice to make Week 9 the first, elimination game of the all-in playoff system (must be properly seeded, of course!).

By doing "all-in playoffs" I think we avoid these situations where schools bail on conferences.

I don't argue there might be a push towards districts. Might be nice to make Week 9 the first, elimination game of the all-in playoff system (must be properly seeded, of course!).

By doing "all-in playoffs" I think we avoid these situations where schools bail on conferences.

Like your idea, but wouldn't you have to cut down on conference games and eliminate pre-season?

Like your idea, but wouldn't you have to cut down on conference games and eliminate pre-season?

Yes, either one or the other. But we would rid ourselves of the competition avoidance we now have. But the key is to have fair seeding - none of this MC vs SR or Fremd vs Palatine every year just because they're "district."

Not saying that's the answer but it definitely stops the conference reshuffling.

Reactions: ignazio
I believe Indian or another nearby state does "all in playoffs". Any feedback on how it is working out for everyone? On the surface it seems to make a lot of sense.

I believe Indian or another nearby state does "all in playoffs". Any feedback on how it is working out for everyone? On the surface it seems to make a lot of sense.
From what I heard the playoff format is awful. We complain about not getting the two best teams in the finals here, there I understand the seeding is infinitely worse. But I think one of the Bradley guys here has a grasp on it. I'll tag one of em and hope it's the right guy @Boiler79

Demographics change, athletic programs change and conferences readjust. Happens all of the time and at all levels. No need for districts. Have seen the proposals and they are all bad. Really bad. CPS schools lumped in with Catholic schools. Rivals in different districts. Ruins football. The states that have done it.........hate it. Coaches and fans complain about it all of the time. All you guys would have a field day with it. You would all lose your jobs due to posting threads all day. No districts. Let the schools sort it out themselves......they'll be just fine.

I think districts will obviously hurt the CCL schools since they will get lumped in with CPS schools due to their location, but for the rest of the state it would be a great solution.

From what I heard the playoff format is awful. We complain about not getting the two best teams in the finals here, there I understand the seeding is infinitely worse. But I think one of the Bradley guys here has a grasp on it. I'll tag one of em and hope it's the right guy @Boiler79

Indiana has an all in playoff.....8 weeks of regular season Week 9 is Round 1 also Indiana is a blind draw....most insane thing ever....so in theory you can have two 8-0 teams face off in Round 1 against the winner of say a 0-8 versus a 2-6 Round 1 game

One has to admire the template of the South Suburban Conference with its 2 divisions of 7 schools. In football for years, like clockwork, everyone has 2 non-conference games in Weeks 1 and 2. The remaining 7 weeks feature 6 division games and 1 shifting cross-over with the other division based upon similar records from the last season. Relatively similar enrollments and manageable weeknight contest travel distances reign. Recent rejections of Stagg and R-B tend to underscore how well they all like the current set-up.

Indiana has an all in playoff.....8 weeks of regular season Week 9 is Round 1 also Indiana is a blind draw....most insane thing ever....so in theory you can have two 8-0 teams face off in Round 1 against the winner of say a 0-8 versus a 2-6 Round 1 game

Indiana starts regular season one week earlier than does Illinois. They play a nine game regular season. Week 10 begins the playoffs.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT