ADVERTISEMENT

The Big 18?

greatgig13

Oct 6, 2014
So now Washington and Oregon joining with USC and UCLA? How does that work for football with that many schools?

Last edited:
No divisions but up to 3 or 4 yearly protected rivals. No more hiding in the B1G west for teams. With 18 teams, teams would play each other almost every other yr with 9 conf games.

I dont like it, but for the B1G Network this is a killing.

Look for Cal & Stanford to follow and form the BIG20.
The Big10 Universities pride themselves on the academic merits of their institutions and beyond athletics, often collaborate with each other on research projects.
Cal & Stanford would only strengthen the academic prestige of the conference.

Look for Cal & Stanford to follow and form the BIG20.
The Big10 Universities pride themselves on the academic merits of their institutions and beyond athletics, often collaborate with each other on research projects.
Cal & Stanford would only strengthen the academic prestige of the conference.
Big ten presidents wanted cal and Stanford. Broadcast partners wanted Oregon and Washington. Stanford and cal didn’t grow the media revenue pie enough to justify adding two mouths to feed. Oregon and Washington didn’t either, but between them taking a reduced share over the next decade and there still being more shoes to drop, it became doable.

This is all the long domino game to force Notre dames hand. Stanford will get an invitation eventually, but it’s not clear if that is before or after the ACC is blown up, which could take anywhere from 1 week to 12 years, but it will happen. When that happens UNC, UVA, FSU, Clemson, GT, VT, NCSU, and Miami will be divided up between big ten and sec.

I assume both conferences will get to 24 teams and then pull out of college football playoff and create their own postseason for their 48 member schools where they don’t have to share revenue with lesser leagues.

Right before getting to 24, big ten will offer Stanford as a package with ND. ND would have to accept to have access to the new playoff.

It’s just not clear whether that all happens this year or in the next decade. Regardless, there isn’t any reason for big ten to expand again until ND gets in the crosshairs, as they are the only brand out there that grows the pie enough to justify adding another mouth to feed. It really didn’t even make sense to add Oregon or Washington now because they could have let them languish for 3-5 years on their own or in the big 12 and they still would have jumped at a big ten offer down the road. So the only way to read this is that this was a move to kill off the pac-12 which the big ten perhaps sees as being the catalyst to also killing off the ACC, which has schools like UNC, UVA, and FSU that are more coveted and will most importantly also lead to ND in the future.

With OR & WA joining USC & UCLA in the Big "Ten" and AZ ,ASU and UT joining CO in the Big "12," wonder what happens to Cal, Stanford, WSU and OSU ??

With OR & WA joining USC & UCLA in the Big "Ten" and AZ ,ASU and UT joining CO in the Big "12," wonder what happens to Cal, Stanford, WSU and OSU ??
Mountain West for OR St and WSU is the best option for them imo.

This is just sad! The conference of champions will be no more.

I get the money aspect of this all. But, it could’ve been the same with better PAC12 leadership.

I loved this conference and always have. I live
Out west, but lived in the Midwest almost all my life. I just don’t like it, at all!

Northwestern, Stanford, Vandi, Air Force, Army, Navy….BYU…. To start….that conference (to start… need a few more suggestions)….. could have the most Revenue per game (Look at the alums).

They should all do it!

Two things are so odd now…

How does the West Coast not have a conference now?

How in the world is this going to work for non-football sports that play mod-week games? Washington going to travel to Wisconsin for a midweek basketball game?Maryland going to Oregon for a Wednesday soccer match?

Washington to Rutgers for a Wednesday night basketball game or a midweek baseball game will be a helluva trip. I don’t like this at all. The way football was and the Rose Bowl rivalries we grew up admiring are over. I understand these teams will still play each other and the games will be great but it just won’t be the same. Money won.

Reactions: Gene K.
Washington to Rutgers for a Wednesday night basketball game or a midweek baseball game will be a helluva trip. I don’t like this at all. The way football was and the Rose Bowl rivalries we grew up admiring are over. I understand these teams will still play each other and the games will be great but it just won’t be the same. Money won.
And while I haven’t a clue on the cost of travel for all this, it has to add up. Are ticket sales paying for this? Hopefully it doesn’t affect already bloated tuitions.

Reactions: McCaravan
MAC schools do 5-6 hour bus trips for their games, why cant the Big Ten schools do 5-6 hour plane trips???

And while I haven’t a clue on the cost of travel for all this, it has to add up. Are ticket sales paying for this? Hopefully it doesn’t affect already bloated tuitions.
I would imagine the revenue from the Big 10 Network will bring in millions for all sports at all schools.

The amount of revenue they can be generated is mind boggling especially if they split the network into two different regions/channels.

Then add the possibility of adding Notes Dame and another school to get to 20 and there is even more money there.

It's sad that this is driven by money but that is just the way things are. The NCAA better do something or they will be losing the top 40 revenue producing schools in football and if expansion happens in the NCAA Tournament they will lose them in basketball as well.

Somehow the NIL and Transfer Portal will be to blame for all of this, and that’s probably those two are not in the top 5 of problems in college athletics.

MAC schools do 5-6 hour bus trips for their games, why cant the Big Ten schools do 5-6 hour plane trips???
There are several obvious differences….

-Lack of parents/fans ability to fly as opposed to drive
-Add another 2 hours for travel time each way with getting to the airport and getting through security.
-Jet lag
-Changing 2/3 different time zones.
-MAC teams will only have a couple conference games outside of 3 hours. West coast BIG10 teams are going to have 10+ conference teams over 20+ hours away.

Last edited:
Reactions: Sparty Jones
There are several obvious differences….

-Lack of parents/fans ability to fly as opposed to drive
-Add another 2 hours for travel time each way with getting to the airport and getting through security.
-Jet lag
-Changing 2/3 different time zones.
-MAC teams will only have a couple conference games outside of 3 hours. West coast BIG10 teams are going to have 10+ conference teams over 20+ hours away.
I wish one reporter had the guts to ask a university president the obvious question: How is this good for the student-athlete?

Money always wins. Everywhere.

I wish one reporter had the guts to ask a university president the obvious question: How is this good for the student-athlete?
Mizzou's Drinkwitz offered some great nuggets.

"My question is, did we count the cost? I'm not talking about the financial cost, I'm talking about did we count the cost for the student athletes involved in this decision."

"What cost is it to those student athletes? We're talking about a football decision that they based off football, but what about softball and baseball who have to travel across the country. Do we ask about the cost of them?"

"Do we know the number one indicator of mental health is? It's lack of rest and sleep. Traveling in those baseball and softball games. Those people, they travel commercial. They get done playing at four, they gotta go to the airport and come back, it's three or four in the morning [when they get home], and now they've gotta go to class."

"Did we ask any of them?"

"I don't worry at all about the game. Football is strong. Football is going to be fine. We will all figure it out. But did we consider the people we are entrusted with? Did we consider the student athlete?"

• Love
Reactions: crusader_of_90
Mizzou's Drinkwitz offered some great nuggets.

"My question is, did we count the cost? I'm not talking about the financial cost, I'm talking about did we count the cost for the student athletes involved in this decision."

"What cost is it to those student athletes? We're talking about a football decision that they based off football, but what about softball and baseball who have to travel across the country. Do we ask about the cost of them?"

"Do we know the number one indicator of mental health is? It's lack of rest and sleep. Traveling in those baseball and softball games. Those people, they travel commercial. They get done playing at four, they gotta go to the airport and come back, it's three or four in the morning [when they get home], and now they've gotta go to class."

"Did we ask any of them?"

"I don't worry at all about the game. Football is strong. Football is going to be fine. We will all figure it out. But did we consider the people we are entrusted with? Did we consider the student athlete?"
my friend who has to drive to his juco baseball games that are 3 hours away on tuesday would like to have a word about all this bitching and complaining about mental health when nobody talked about G5 and juco so now we care? **** off

my friend who has to drive to his juco baseball games that are 3 hours away on tuesday would like to have a word about all this bitching and complaining about mental health when nobody talked about G5 and juco so now we care? **** off
I mean said in jest or not, I kind of agree here. We're talking about D1 high caliber athletes at some of the best schools in the country, pac12 and Big 10. They know what they're signing up for. And most don't care about sleep or mental health as long as their Gram has followers and they look good in their uniforms.

Baseball conference games are played Friday, Saturday and Sunday or sometimes Thursday, Friday and Saturday.

Basketball you dont schedule the long flights for a Tuesday night game, they will play Saturday or Sunday.

The student athletes and their NIL's will be just fine.

Reactions: RoaminCatholic
Baseball conference games are played Friday, Saturday and Sunday or sometimes Thursday, Friday and Saturday.

Basketball you dont schedule the long flights for a Tuesday night game, they will play Saturday or Sunday.

The student athletes and their NIL's will be just fine.
Traditionally, yes but moving forward they won’t have that flexibility.

I mean said in jest or not, I kind of agree here. We're talking about D1 high caliber athletes at some of the best schools in the country, pac12 and Big 10. They know what they're signing up for. And most don't care about sleep or mental health as long as their Gram has followers and they look good in their uniforms.
You’re an idiot

We all know these moves are entirely made by the media groups (ESPN/FOX/Apple/whoever), and are all about football/$$$. They do not care about the non-revenue sports at any of these schools. I'm sure schools will come up with some creative solutions for the smaller sports, but they will be to save money, not help the students.

Personally, I hate the conference expansions. The rivalries are gone. Conferences are just blobs of teams together on the same media deal. With an 18 team Big 10, the football conference champion won't even play 1/2 the teams in the conference.

The Big 12 had been perfect recently, with 10 teams. In football, everyone played each other each season. In basketball, there was a home/home against each other every season. Now, that is gone, but at least there will be the heated West Virginia vs BYU conference matchup.....

You’re an idiot

You clearly don't spend much time around 18 and 19 year olds... Plus, for those of us not living in 1999, Instagram and socials go a long way in helping you achieve your NIL goals. Want to get paid? You better look good and/or you better know how to influence on socials. The highest paid athletes in college aren't always the best on the court. There's plenty of ways to make money now without being overly dominant at your chosen sport.

Do I really have to explain that to you, genius?

You're so smart, perhaps you can tell me why Bo Nix is one of the highest paid collegiate athletes in the country? It sure as hell isn't bc he's winning Natty's and going to go #1 overall in the draft after his 17th year playing D1 football...

Maybe you can tell us why college female gymnasts are amongst the highest NIL grossers? Only the really, really, intelligent guys who make 5 figures a year know this answer... :rolleyes:

You clearly don't spend much time around 18 and 19 year olds... Plus, for those of us not living in 1999, Instagram and socials go a long way in helping you achieve your NIL goals. Want to get paid? You better look good and/or you better know how to influence on socials. The highest paid athletes in college aren't always the best on the court. There's plenty of ways to make money now without being overly dominant at your chosen sport.

Do I really have to explain that to you, genius?

You're so smart, perhaps you can tell me why Bo Nix is one of the highest paid collegiate athletes in the country? It sure as hell isn't bc he's winning Natty's and going to go #1 overall in the draft after his 17th year playing D1 football...

Maybe you can tell us why college female gymnasts are amongst the highest NIL grossers? Only the really, really, intelligent guys who make 5 figures a year know this answer... :rolleyes:
You made the statement that the best athletes in the best conferences in the country don't care about sleep or mental health but do care about their Instagram and looking good.

I've coached/trained athletes for 16 years. The ones that become scholarship athletes take great care of their bodies, get 8hrs of sleep and care deeply about their mental health. They care very little about looking good on social media.

You want to make money as an athlete? Be great at your sport. Period.

Bo Nix makes a lot of NIL money because he started at an SEC program as a freshman and has gone on to be a 5yr starter at two of the premier programs in the country. Its not because of his Instagram account.

You're so smart. Prove it.
Example - Oregon Basketball: The college basketball season last year consisted of 11 weeks of conference play. That was 11 mid week (Wed or Thurs) games and 11 weekend (Sat or Sun) games . Moving forward, if they play 11 mid-week games, at least (8) of them are going to have to be long plane ride games.

New Big Ten Conference Map

Example - Oregon Basketball: The college basketball season last year consisted of 11 weeks of conference play. That was 11 mid week (Wed or Thurs) games and 11 weekend (Sat or Sun) games . Moving forward, if they play 11 mid-week games, at least (8) of them are going to have to be long plane ride games.

New Big Ten Conference Map
Does no one play at home? Who plays 8 of 11 mid-week games on the road?

A few of those weeks they might not even be in class (college usually has a nice LONG winter break).
I only included the dates where they are in school. There are numerous games during handling and Christmas break that I didnt include.

I can partially answer my own question: Cal and Stanford being considered by the ACC, I understand.

I wonder if the "rivalry" games from the Pac-12 would be resurrected as non-cons once the 2024 season hits. Although some may actually be contested as part of the new Big "Ten" conference play.

I don’t know. I don’t like it but I don’t know why. Maybe because it waters down the conference and could make some of the big rivalries less intriguing. When it becomes more about money and less about competition and tradition I lose interest. It’s like MLB adding rules to shorten the game. The more they add, the less I’m interested. I guess I’m turning into an old man that doesn’t like change.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT