sporthog9er

Jun 9, 2001
LW West (3-2) @ Stagg (1-4)
LW East (5-0) @ LW Central (1-4)
Sandburg (2-3) @ HF (4-1)
Brook (4-1)
@ Lockport (2-3)
Andrew (4-1) @ Bradley (2-3)

Andrew clinches Red division title with a win over Bradley. It is possible the East/Central game gets running clock by halftime. Will Z show mercy?

Clock is ticking on Sandburg, Bradley, Lockport. They need to pull off big wins quick to make things interesting.

LW West 35 @ Stagg 0
LW East 42 @ LW Central 0
Sandburg 6 @ HF 49
Brook 27
@ Lockport 0
Andrew 31 @ Bradley 10

Bradley losing to Andrew is not going to happen this week.

So the cross-over record for this first season between the smaller enrollment Red division and the larger Blue moves to 1-7. It has already been stated how that tends to bake in 2 losses per year at least for the Red teams. Furthermore however, Red teams who do qualify for the playoffs will have their seedings (based upon opponent wins) negatively impacted because their fellow division teams are all racking up losses against the Blue teams. Another unintended consequence of bending over for this division arrangement?

Andrew got it done on the road also at Bradley Bourbonnais. Closer than expected for the Bolts fans but they are rolling along. Bolingbrook also with struggles against LP before figuring out their basic go to needs.

Will that be due to a let-down after beating H-F on the road the week before?
Won't score an offensive TD against HF and certainly won't win. The D may keep it close and the kids will play hard though.

Last edited:
Won't score an offensive TD against. HF and certainly won't win. The D may keep it close and the kids will play hard though.
You may be right, but this I have observed: Bolingbrook is a very physical team. I have seen some of those kids bring mass and velocity to attention-getting hits. Also, they seem capable of keeping opposing offenses off the field for stretches, keeping 10 in-the-box and pounding away. You would be hard-pressed to find a team with 2 more capable wingbacks and falling asleep on the QB, particularly as a runner, could cost you.

You may be right, but this I have observed: Bolingbrook is a very physical team. I have seen some of those kids bring mass and velocity to attention-getting hits. Also, they seem capable of keeping opposing offenses off the field for stretches, keeping 10 in-the-box and pounding away. You would be hard-pressed to find a team with 2 more capable wingbacks and falling asleep on the QB, particularly as a runner, could cost you.
The D plays well. Not as big at DT as past really good defenses, but like you said they're physical. Offensively that triple option isn't going to get it done, not against teams that can match you physically or come close to. The two wing backs, King and Howard, are fast as the Dickens, but not the type of guys you want to be running with 10 guys in the box. Ten in the box is what we see because teams like LWE know we won't pass even on downs where we need to. Against East our playcalling suggested we were content with losing 20-10, even Midway through the 3rd ie dives on 3rd and 8 after dives got us to 3rd and 8 in the 1st place. After the 1st and 2nd quarters showed dives aren't working.

Triple option MAY work against schools we can push around, but as for probably 28 teams in the 8A field it won't work.

I also stated the Bones rule which applies when playing in Bourbonnais. If you have never experienced that part of the world it is a very special environment.Note the above penalty disparity. 14-10 is hardly what the Andrew followers were thrilled about. I was wrong but I fear the Andrew Bolts could be in trouble.

Triple option MAY work against schools we can push around, but as for probably 28 teams in the 8A field it won't work.

I disagree. The triple option run correctly is supposed to even the playing field against bigger, stronger teams. That's how teams like Army and Navy can play with teams like Oklahoma, Michigan, Notre Dame, etc.

I disagree. The triple option run correctly is supposed to even the playing field against bigger, stronger teams. That's how teams like Army and Navy can play with teams like Oklahoma, Michigan, Notre Dame, etc.
Those guys are all in the weight room and on scholarship. They're trying to rely on the opponent missing assignments and/or your guy being able to win a 1 on 1 matchup. The time it did work for us we had Bailey and a D1 RB in the backfield to win those 1 on 1's. The offense has been figured out. Now the way you even the playing field is to spread the D out and try to get your people in space. This is what R-B did with JCA ànd basically became the blueprint for beating the Hillmen.

I don't think I'm being hard on them at all. But the days of lining up and running over the team across from you in the playoffs are over, at least at this level.

Those guys are all in the weight room and on scholarship. They're trying to rely on the opponent missing assignments and/or your guy being able to win a 1 on 1 matchup. The time it did work for us we had Bailey and a D1 RB in the backfield to win those 1 on 1's. The offense has been figured out. Now the way you even the playing field is to spread the D out and try to get your people in space. This is what R-B did with JCA ànd basically became the blueprint for beating the Hillmen.

I don't think I'm being hard on them at all. But the days of lining up and running over the team across from you in the playoffs are over, at least at this level.

I agree with you Bones. You can’t just line up and run the ball. You will come up against a good D-Line sooner or later that will stuff the run. Then what? You better practice passing because if you don’t well, running will only get you so far.,

Reactions: Cross Bones
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT