ADVERTISEMENT

Swagger v Hollywood

Bowie I would have paid top dollar to get that crew together to watch the game film with Holecek and Inserra. Two great coaches who work their collective tails off to teach these kids to compete at a high level only to have the fundamentals they teach thrown out the window with incompetence in stripes. While I was convinced the worst I had ever seen was the south side crew that worked the 2010 Hollywood-Swagger game at LA.. after watching the replay the house league officials I’ve seen were just as competent as these CLOWNS!

Reactions: Bowie50
Bowie I would have paid top dollar to get that crew together to watch the game film with Holecek and Inserra. Two great coaches who work their collective tails off to teach these kids to compete at a high level only to have the fundamentals they teach thrown out the window with incompetence in stripes. While I was convinced the worst I had ever seen was the south side crew that worked the 2010 Hollywood-Swagger game at LA.. after watching the replay the house league officials I’ve seen were just as competent as these CLOWNS!
I could not agree more. MS got hosed on a lot of calls. Really takes the fun out of the game when the refs take it out of the kids’ hands. Also unfortunate that LA and MS had to meet so early.

I could not agree more. MS got hosed on a lot of calls. Really takes the fun out of the game when the refs take it out of the kids’ hands. Also unfortunate that LA and MS had to meet so early.
Complete BS from IHSA as usual.
Of the 20 yrs I been going to MS games, this is hands down the most disturbing loss in my mind. Had MS won, it would be a hollow one.

I support a do over!

Reactions: Gene K. and Bowie50
Could you explain what you mean by “house league”?

I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again, if everyone is so unhappy with HS football officials, help solve the problem instead of complaining about it - become one.
I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again, if everyone is so unhappy with HS football officials, help solve the problem instead of complaining about it - become one.
Why get involved when you can complain anonymously?

Reactions: Schwab54
Why get involved when you can complain anonymously?
I officiated up until I was 27 calling high school football, and was a Big 8 umpire. I learned at a young age to either rise to the occasion, or don’t take an assignment over your head or ability.
Then I moved here. I have considered getting back into it, but every time I see what I would be working with I find myself asking why I would subject myself to that. I’m much more likely to get back into baseball.

I don’t believe these guys were nefarious, but to simply dismiss their obvious incompetence to everyone present as if , hey , just deal with it, is grossly unfair to the kids.

they are the only people on the field getting paid. To expect them to have a relative sense of the game and the ability to apply the rules properly is not an unfair request.

Could you explain what you mean by “house league”?
There are officials that call travel football, and officials that call local house league games.

house league officials typically do not have the same level of training or experience

it’s where officials go to learn.

I officiated up until I was 27 calling high school football, and was a Big 8 umpire. I learned at a young age to either rise to the occasion, or don’t take an assignment over your head or ability.
Then I moved here. I have considered getting back into it, but every time I see what I would be working with I find myself asking why I would subject myself to that. I’m much more likely to get back into baseball.

I don’t believe these guys were nefarious, but to simply dismiss their obvious incompetence to everyone present as if , hey , just deal with it, is grossly unfair to the kids.

they are the only people on the field getting paid. To expect them to have a relative sense of the game and the ability to apply the rules properly is not an unfair request.

I would also mention... no matter who won or lost that game, someone’s high school football career is over for the wrong reasons.

while I have always been a fan of newt, that’s a bullshit response to what I witnessed last night.

BTW Newt... for all your wisdom, I’ll say it again.

BULLSHIT.
Two men whom I know very well quit officiating because they were not scheduled via their ability or merit, but rather the “good ole’ boy” network.

They experienced first hand the crap that goes on in officiating circles, and quit because of it.

they started out loving it until it was time to move up.

I know you’ll have a response of sort, but do not put the blame on lack of officials strictly on the people who happen to speak about the shortcomings. Many of these officials have created their positions by making sure they don’t get shown up.

It just looked like there was no forward progress and the pile was not moving for a few counts.

after watching it all I really can say is you can’t see the ball. So we don’t know if that ball was coming out/moving when he was still going forward. The umpire doesn’t bean bag it so either he doesn’t know or his mechanics aren’t too stellar. I try not to put much stock in 1 camera view from a mile away. The NFL at minimum has 10+cameras to go off of and they still don’t always get a shot that tells the story. I realize that’s all going to fall on deaf ears but thought I’d play a little devils advocate

BTW Newt... for all your wisdom, I’ll say it again.
Two men whom I know very well quit officiating because they were not scheduled via their ability or merit, but rather the “good ole’ boy” network.

They experienced first hand the crap that goes on in officiating circles, and quit because of it

Many of these officials have created their positions by making sure they don’t get shown up.

The objective system they try to use is very much so influenced by the coaches. They are supposed to rate crews and provide top 15 lists. Many of them either don’t do it, or maintain the same list of guys they know. I did 10 games this yr so I should have 20 ratings, I have 9. If they want or don’t want a crew doing their playoff games, they need to rate the officials as such. This “good ol boy” stuff is perpetuated by coaches who make their top 15 lists off officials they have known for years(older guys) or people who have the ability to get their ear. If they rated as intended you would start to see change. As much as you want to blame the IHSA the coaches have their say as well.

as for your buddies, if they got into officiating because they wanted to be shown appreciation I think everyone agrees they were in the wrong field. Im frustrated I didn’t get the rounds I feel I/we deserve but at the end of the day I still had fun this season and that’s enough to bring me back.

Reactions: Crispy Linnetta
after watching it all I really can say is you can’t see the ball. So we don’t know if that ball was coming out/moving when he was still going forward. The umpire doesn’t bean bag it so either he doesn’t know or his mechanics aren’t too stellar. I try not to put much stock in 1 camera view from a mile away. The NFL at minimum has 10+cameras to go off of and they still don’t always get a shot that tells the story. I realize that’s all going to fall on deaf ears but thought I’d play a little devils advocate
I agree. From the video angle only it looked suspicious but the Refs had 2 maybe 3 other angles and called it a fumble / strip.

There were SEVERAL bad calls and lack thereof, bad mechanics piss me off almost as much as laziness from officials.
The men I knew didn’t get into it because they wanted accolades. They wanted to stay close to the game. One of them made the comment: “Last night I made the mistake of getting my ass downfield to cover a pass”. I asked him why that was an issue.
Field judge couldn’t get down the field.

I agree it’s a pisser when coaches want to bitch but don’t send in feedback.

all very good points.

still doesn’t change a thing about my perception of what I saw.

these were the playoffs..... and we got a crap crew

horrible way for these boys season to end.

period.

The objective system they try to use is very much so influenced by the coaches. They are supposed to rate crews and provide top 15 lists. Many of them either don’t do it, or maintain the same list of guys they know. I did 10 games this yr so I should have 20 ratings, I have 9. If they want or don’t want a crew doing their playoff games, they need to rate the officials as such. This “good ol boy” stuff is perpetuated by coaches who make their top 15 lists off officials they have known for years(older guys) or people who have the ability to get their ear. If they rated as intended you would start to see change. As much as you want to blame the IHSA the coaches have their say as well.

as for your buddies, if they got into officiating because they wanted to be shown appreciation I think everyone agrees they were in the wrong field. Im frustrated I didn’t get the rounds I feel I/we deserve but at the end of the day I still had fun this season and that’s enough to bring me back.
I’m genuinely glad you’ll continue, please do.
Watch the entire game and PM me
I know you can’t be honest here or there will be backlash

I’m genuinely glad you’ll continue, please do.
Watch the entire game and PM me
I know you can’t be honest here or there will be backlash

Ive got my own films I’ve got to watch from this weekend so I’m gonna pass on watching something that may not make me happy. I’m sorry a game like this one was not perceived to be officiated well. Hopefully there are no issues going forward in this tournament

Reactions: PRokie

No matter how many times you say it, it will never make sense. If a bus driver drives his bus off a cliff can I criticize him? Or do I have to become a bus driver first? If a nuclear plant melts down due to an incompetent worker not doing his job correctly can I criticize him? Or do I need to apply to work at the plant first? If I am given the wrong order at Wendy's can I complain? Or do I need to fill out an employment application first?

The people that choose to be referees are being paid to do a job. While it is not fair to expect perfection, there are plenty of them that are not good at what they are being paid to do. There is nothing wrong with pointing that out.

Reactions: PRokie
No matter how many times you say it, it will never make sense. If a bus driver drives his bus off a cliff can I criticize him? Or do I have to become a bus driver first? If a nuclear plant melts down due to an incompetent worker not doing his job correctly can I criticize him? Or do I need to apply to work at the plant first? If I am given the wrong order at Wendy's can I complain? Or do I need to fill out an employment application first?

The people that choose to be referees are being paid to do a job. While it is not fair to expect perfection, there are plenty of them that are not good at what they are being paid to do. There is nothing wrong with pointing that out.
Very well said!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT