ADVERTISEMENT

State Playoff Semifinal (CPL Style), Part 2

Thereturnofcmonman

Oct 4, 2019
Let's post again, like we did last summer(or yesterday). Yeah, let's post again, like we did last year(or yesterday). Do you remember when things were really hummin(3:45 CPL games on Thursdays)? Let's post again, posting time is here!!

Joliet Catholic Hilltoppers @ Richmond Burton Rockets
"I found my thrill.....on Joliet Hill! On Joliet Hill, when I found you!!! The moon stood still on Joliet Hill(even though it's at Richmond Burton), and lingered until my dream came true(no CPL teams in the state, dreams are crushed)." Take the Hilltoppers!

Sacred Heart Griffin Cyclones @ Rochester Rockets
"White lights, strange city, mad music all around (sounds like a Friday night high school game for sure!)...Jack Flash, rocket man, Sergeant Pepper and the Band(there's your halftime entertainment!), Ziggy, Benny and the Jets (the name of the pre-game entertainment), take a rocket, we just got to fly!!!!!!!" Rochester wins the Leonard Bowl!

Byron Tigers @ IC Catholic Knights
"Ooh, I bet you're wondering how I knew...bout your plans to make me blue(referees normally can take care of that), with some other guy you knew before(oh boy), between the two of us guys, you know I love you more(I love you, IHSA football!!!), it took me by surprise, I must say, when I found out yesterday...don't you know that I heard it through the grapevine(pssss, IC is gonna win!)." For those of you wondering how Marvin Gaye connects to these teams, it may surprise you to find out that the original singer of this song was Ms. Gladys Knight!

Mt. Carmel Golden Aces @Tolono Unity Rockets
I already sang Def Leppard above, time to hit repeat. Take the rockets!

Downs Tri-Valley Vikings @ Wilmington Wildcats
"I walked 47 miles of barbed wire(to get to Wilmington), I got a Cobra snake for a necktie(actually it's just a garter snake), a brand new house on the road side, and it's made out of rattlesnake hide(not great in the winter time), Got a brand new chimney put on top, and it's made out of human skull(nah, that's too weird for me). Come on baby, take a walk with me (to Wilmington) and tell me who do you love....Who do you Love??? Who do you Love???" I love Wilmington!!!!!!!!! And the pride of Wilmington, Delaware...George Thorogood!

St. Teresa Bulldogs @ Nashville Hornets
I could pick any country song in the world, but it doesn't matter which songs I pick, St. Teresa still rolls in this game.

Ridgeview/Lexington Co-op Mustangs @ Lena-Winslow Panthers
"
Such a fine sight to see(the Panther offense)...It's a score, my lord, on that big scoreboard, staring down and making fun of me. C'mon baby, don't say maybe. I gotta know if your ground game is going to kill me. We may lose or we may win, but we will never be here again(no wants wants to play Lena-Winslow at their place), so open up I'm climbing in, and take it easy." Like the Eagles, the Mustangs may as well go to Winslow, Arizona, because they won't be winning this week here in Illinois. Take the Panthers to win big!

Carrollton Hawks @ Central A & M Panthers
"I feel the earth move under my feet(probably because I just got pancaked), I feel the sky tumblin' down(or is that these linemen that just piled on top of me), I feel my heart start tremblin' (or maybe it's my whole body because I'm cold, why didn't I wear long underwear today?), whenever you're around!" If you never saw Beautiful, the musical about the life of Carole King, it's a great watch. In any case, ride with Carole and take the Hawks!

Here we go with the semifinals! I'm pretty sure they are all day games, so they are all in my wheelhouse! Here we go! On to the Picks!

Getting to the top of the hill is pretty impressive...Until someone else goes to the moon.
Rockets!

I think I've been clear that I am a huge fan of Alliteration. Also a big fan of blowing stuff up. I can watch those videos of rockets blowing things up all day. Boom!
Rockets!

Knights are just dudes in cool armor. Tigers don't need armor.
Tigers!

So how many teams switch their mascot to Rockets after seeing all of these Rockets in the semifinals?
To the Moon!

I like Alliteration, but I like Hyphen's more!
Vikings!

When I was a kid, our main lunch lady was mean. Always in a bad mood. Always scowling. Used to say she looked like a bulldog chewing on a wasp. Sorry hornets, she really seemed to enjoy it.
Dogs!

Great time to remind everyone of the rules. When given the choice, pick the hyphen. When given the chance, pick a co-op. Obviously, two hyphens are better. If you have the opportunity to pick a slash, a hyphen, and co-op, take it.
/ -
A in A&M stands for Agricultural, right? I also always pick Farmers.
Go Cats!

The precursor to Turkey Day football. Such an honor for all these teams to play for a chance to practice on Thanksgiving. Good luck to them all!

Sir Richard Burton was quite famous... for being British. You know what's not British? Football, American Football. Give me the toppers of Hill.

No chance in hell Turk and JD let Rochester get the best of them. Let's go Scrubs!

Byron Tiger sounds like the even more annoying littlest sibling of Daniel Tiger. Not much worse than bad kids TV shows that you have to suffer through, makes it impossible to pick Byron here. IC victory in the future. Knights it is.

Was at a big wrestling tournament a few years back. Forget which team was embarrassing themselves that day but one of the them were walking around with shirts that said Unity, Empathy, Compassion. I mean I get it but at a wrestling competition? Save it for the peace circles. Give me the Aces.

So my buddy I'll initial BCJ is a huge cat lover. He'd absolutely crush my skull if I picked against the cats. We lost him this year (to the South, nothing morbid). This one's for you Big City. Go Cats!!

There is absolutely no way, NO WAY, that Nashville should not be named the Hot Chickens. I mean come on Dark Red, Orange and White unis it would be FIRE! Can't pick a team that missed that hard. Go DAWGZ!

Ridgeview lost a good one today as I see the Twitters tell me good ol' CPS staple Coach Walsh stepped down. Hard to see such a legen, oh wait. It's not that Ridgeview? Oh well doesn't matter much Lena takes it.

The Carolers of Carrollton just a bit early for me. They can start singing after Thanksgiving. Unfortunately they're a week too soon. A&M it is.

Prep Bowl Semis Bonus Picks:
Notre Dame vs St. Lawrence

The Dons against Larry. Sounds like a real heavy weight battle of middle aged white men. Larry is a stooge but someone named Don probably tazes himself. Give me the Stooge. Larry in a shocker!

Simeon vs. Kenwood
Saturday at noon, CPL sure knows how to showcase these games. I'm guessing what? 50 people in the stands tops? Especially with it at Lane? Oh boy. Seems like Simeon is rolling since upsetting the Broncos to become playoff eligible. I don't think they keep it going though. Give me the Broncos in the revenge match.

Last edited:
Notre Dame vs St. Lawrence
Wow! Nice work @thecpsblog ! I totally forgot about this one. St Larry is the patron saint of cooks. Cooks! I'm guessing the food at the tailgate is awesome. I'm thinking full barbeque spread with all the sides. I'm thinking full dessert table as well. Delicious! Larry has this one over in short order! Serving up a victory!
I could do this all day...
Larry!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT