ADVERTISEMENT

Standout 2022 East St Louis recruit is back on the market....

I never understood what is so tough about picking a school and sticking with it? I know college coaches try to get players to commit but if you aren’t comfortable hold off especially for kid like this who is talented enough that colleges will hold open a spot.

I never understood what is so tough about picking a school and sticking with it? I know college coaches try to get players to commit but if you aren’t comfortable hold off especially for kid like this who is talented enough that colleges will hold open a spot.
People change their minds. That's why we have a phrase in English "changed my mind"

I used to think “how could these guys pass up these power 5 offers” but I’ve learned a lot about these offers the past few years...Maybe the offer was non-committable ...watch the show “The Cost of Winning” on HBO. A 4 Star recruit fully committed to LSU got his offer yanked right before signing day and had to scramble. Maybe he felt this wasn’t going to go his way.

Stuff changes, half truths, reality sinks in, there are a lot of reasons kids and families change their minds.

Kids like this have multiple people in their ear. As they get older, they start to think for themselves and this is the result. Probably should have never committed to begin with. On the flip side, being committed to certain schools increase your rankings.

I know very little about recruiting, but this is a great thing for his teammates as well, right? More eyes coming to the game to see Luther means they might get noticed by those scouts as well.

Reactions: crusader_of_90
I know very little about recruiting, but this is a great thing for his teammates as well, right? More eyes coming to the game to see Luther means they might get noticed by those scouts as well.
I'd have to think as a 5-star recruit, he knows where he's going (early indication is Missou) and I'm sure the big players know who he is already, but more looks either in person or on video is a good thing.

I'd have to think as a 5-star recruit, he knows where he's going (early indication is Missou) and I'm sure the big players know who he is already, but more looks either in person or on video is a good thing.

With NIL this statement isn't true anymore. It really is a business decision now. Deals are part of the discussion and I am confident this kid isn't sure what to do right now.

Reactions: crusader_of_90
According to Twitter, it sounds like a done deal, but regardless, I don't think he has to sell himself to anyone, so more scouts at games probably isn't likely IMO.

I used to think “how could these guys pass up these power 5 offers” but I’ve learned a lot about these offers the past few years...Maybe the offer was non-committable ...watch the show “The Cost of Winning” on HBO. A 4 Star recruit fully committed to LSU got his offer yanked right before signing day and had to scramble. Maybe he felt this wasn’t going to go his way.

The seedy underbelly of NCAA D1 recruiting is ugly. This is a business. Do not fault a kid for changing their mind or seeing the light in a given situation.

His offer was definitely committable. He's the top WR in the country. I think and from what i've read, it wasnt just him. OU has lost three 5 star receiver's in this class now. Also with Kai Lemon committing (#1 ATH in 2023) also top player in Cali, and his teammate who also is committing to OU who plays receiver who is the #2 player in cali in the class. Along with the other top guys coming in Georgia and Mizzou are much more promising as far as getting on the field early. Look at Jadon Haselwood who was the top WR a few years back. 5 star who hasnt seen the field at OU yet.

OU just landed the #3 WR in this class
Saint Louis', MO,'s St. Mary’s wide receiver Kevin Coleman is the No. 2 recruit on the Post-Dispatch Super 30 countdown and he's rated as the No. 3 wide receiver in the nation by both 247sports and Rivals.

Coleman, 17, whittled his list down to a top eight, which he released in February, and said that he’s working on his top five. An All-American Bowl selection, Coleman said he will announce his college decision in January on television at the All-American game. Figuring out which place is the right fit has not been easy. Coleman is really digging into the details.

“It’s been hard. I’m looking at the team offense and the team roster. The roster is very important,” Coleman said. “I’m looking at the coaching staff and who I have the best relationship with. I’ve been locked in on that right now.”

Lets also remember lots of time it is the school who changes their mind, not the coach.

Check out these high school stats:
That’s 156 receptions for 3,678 yards and 47 touchdowns in 36 games. Burden has averaged nearly 24 yards per catch and more than a touchdown per game for his varsity career.

The 6-foot-2 and 195-pound Burden has produced at a high level every time he’s stepped on the field. He played 30 games at Ritter over three seasons and caught 124 passes for 2,941 yards and scored 39 total touchdowns. But he only played one uninterrupted season and that came when he was a freshman.

His sophomore football season ended after seven games when Cardinal Ritter forfeited its season for using an ineligible player then Burden was a huge contributor at guard as he helped the Lions win the 2020 Class 3 state championship in Missouri.

Last fall Ritter played three regular season games and eight total as it advanced to the Class 3 semifinals.

In six spring games with East St. Louis he caught 32 passes for 737 yards and scored eight touchdowns. (A quarter of the times he caught a pass, he scored!)

As a sophomore at Cardinal Ritter, Burden was a huge contributor at guard as he helped the Lions win the 2020 Class 3 state championship in Missouri.

Reactions: Gene K.
As a sophomore at Cardinal Ritter, Burden was a huge contributor at guard as he helped the Lions win the 2020 Class 3 state championship in Missouri.

You mentioned this twice in your post yet i still ask to clarify… did he actually play Guard on the OL his Sophmore year?? And now hes the nation’s best WR this year??

Reactions: TigerforFlyers
College scouts very rarely go to the games in person anymore. It’s all about film, camps and showcases
Big time schools don’t offer without an in person eval. Promise you that.

In person games are a big part of that. Arguably the most important part of the eval.

Big time schools don’t offer without an in person eval. Promise you that.

In person games are a big part of that. Arguably the most important part of the eval.
Watching them on film, talking to their coaches and then getting them on campus seems to the most common path these days.

Watching them on film, talking to their coaches and then getting them on campus seems to the most common path these days.
Coaches don’t want to get burned on a recruit. They don’t offer without seeing him in person w their own eyes.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT