ADVERTISEMENT

St Rita VS Boylan

Undefeated. Turnovers killed them with previous quarterback. The sophomore that came in late season is make smarter decisions. First QB threw 10 interception over about 7 games, 2nd QB has thrown I believe 2 since taking over and into the playoffs. Both quarterbacks have the potential to be very solid, it will be some nice competition for the position next season.
they beat Richards only. Soph QB first game was somewhat rough, took a lot of sacks for big losses instead of throwing the ball away. Still took the W

Yep both QB's will be back next year. So will both of SR's All-State sections in sophomore RB Kaleb Brown and junior LB Michael Gaughan. I also heard Henry Wilson's recovery is going along nicely so far. They should be a very tough team next year.
the lineman are young, I heat they start/play a Soph and Freshman

the lineman are young, I heat they start/play a Soph and Freshman
Freshman has only went in for a series towards the end of the game once the game is in hand. Sophomore has been starting. The sophomore team coming up is strong also, the entire o-line is big, strong and fast and communicate well together. O-line will improve each year over the next 2 years.

Imagine if Rita did miss the playoffs this year, was looking like a possibility with the rough start, what they would do to 5A next year? Would'da been trouble.

I agree that playoffs aren't fun to watch when one team is dominating the playoff field, and it isn't your team. But, let's see what happens the rest of the way. I do believe there are two more games to be played before you can crown Rita 5A champs.

Secondly, I get the sense that perhaps you feel that Rita is not entitled to achieve the success they are achieving in the class where they have been placed. If true, why is that? Because they are dominating? Because they are playing in the class of their actual enrollment? Do other schools not dominate in their respective classes like Rita is doing? How about what ESL is doing in 6A? Has 4A Coal City not defeated its first three playoff opponents by a combined score of 99-7?

Place the blame on the IHSA with its flawed enrollment based playoff classification system that, year after year, creates huge competitive imbalances from top to bottom in each class.

Yes clearly it is the IHSA’s fault. St Rita didnt do anything wrong. As has been debated before, student enrollment is not as telling as football enrollment. What are the numbers of St. Rita’s freshman team, sophomore team, and varsity compared to say Montini? How about Sterling or others? I think there would be a big difference here. Just because St Rita hadn’t been winning in recent years, doesn’t mean they were placed in the wrong class in those years. Maybe there are other factors on why they weren’t winning.

Imagine if Rita did miss the playoffs this year, was looking like a possibility with the rough start, what they would do to 5A next year? Would'da been trouble.

You guys do all realize SR will be in 5a again next year, right? The waiver of the multiplier is a 2 year thing. So they won’t get the 1.65 applied again until the 2021 season. The multiplier was removed based on 2017/2018 results and that applies for 2 years. There shouldn’t be any class changes at all for next year unless someone had a massive enrollment change.

https://www.ihsa.org/Schools/Enroll...l=/data/school/2019-21 cycle/waivers-fall.htm

You guys do all realize SR will be in 5a again next year, right? The waiver of the multiplier is a 2 year thing. So they won’t get the 1.65 applied again until the 2021 season. The multiplier was removed based on 2017/2018 results and that applies for 2 years. There shouldn’t be any class changes at all for next year unless someone had a massive enrollment change.

https://www.ihsa.org/Schools/EnrollmentsClassifications/TwoYearCycleEnrollmentsandClassifications.aspx?url=/data/school/2019-21 cycle/waivers-fall.htm

They will petition up. Or should anyway.

Reactions: RockSoup
Could you imagine literally any team petitioning up from potentially winning a 5A title to 6A so they can play ESL? That's just common sense. Titles are titles regardless the class. If IHSA says they're 5A, why would they want to petition up for one year when they'll jump back to 7A in two years? Any road that leads away from playing ESL should be the road heavily traveled.

Yes clearly it is the IHSA’s fault. St Rita didnt do anything wrong. As has been debated before, student enrollment is not as telling as football enrollment. What are the numbers of St. Rita’s freshman team, sophomore team, and varsity compared to say Montini? How about Sterling or others? I think there would be a big difference here. Just because St Rita hadn’t been winning in recent years, doesn’t mean they were placed in the wrong class in those years. Maybe there are other factors on why they weren’t winning.
Boylan doesn't even have a frosh team anymore. Only 29 Soph/frosh combined.

The IHSA wants everything done in 2 year increments. The fall of 2020 starts the second year of the current pairing. I do not believe they would let anyone petition up for just next year.

Also, next year the football playoffs will be done the same way as they have been for a long time. That is to divide the teams after the 256 teams are determined. ESL was the second smallest team in 6A this year. They could end up in 5A next year depending on what teams make the field.

When/If the district model takes over in the fall of 2021, everyone will know their football classification before the season starts.

Didnt realize SR would

https://www.ihsa.org/Schools/EnrollmentsClassifications/TwoYearCycleEnrollmentsandClassifications.aspx?url=/data/school/2019-21 cycle/waivers-fall.htm
Didnt know. Thanks for setting me straight. SR should be the heavy favorite in 5A unless ESL ends up there.

Didnt realize SR would

Didnt know. Thanks for setting me straight. SR should be the heavy favorite in 5A unless ESL ends up there.

ESL will definitely be 5A next year. They were only 2 teams away this year.

I think JCA will be very good, too. Any idea what Montini brings back next year?

JCA will definitely compete with Rita next year. St Laurence will also be good and I would think Montini will have their typical team. Throw ESL into that mix and it is a pretty good class at the top end.

SR has about 130-140 across varsity, sophomore and freshmen.

JCA will definitely compete with Rita next year. St Laurence will also be good and I would think Montini will have their typical team. Throw ESL into that mix and it is a pretty good class at the top end.

No doubt! Just with what SR has coming back and in 5A I like their chances. Whomever is in 5A, it will not be easy, but SR will have the talent to pull it off, would need a little luck and for injuries to stay away. Anyways, focus is on tomorrow!

Reactions: USD24
Could you imagine literally any team petitioning up from potentially winning a 5A title to 6A so they can play ESL? That's just common sense. Titles are titles regardless the class. If IHSA says they're 5A, why would they want to petition up for one year when they'll jump back to 7A in two years? Any road that leads away from playing ESL should be the road heavily traveled.
They could go to 7A where they been all along

Would Phillips have been 5a or 4a? Could they have slowed this train that is Rita, the most unstoppable team ever assembled?

If SR doesn't win it all in 5a, that would be shocking. A traditional 7a power, drops own 2 classes because it hasn't made the playoffs in 2 years, should be able to win it all in 5a when they get back to their traditional powerhouse status. Wouldn't H-F, if they were dropped to 6a, be one of the favorites to win 6a next year? If/when SR wins 5a this year, they should automatically be multiplied up to their "legitimate" class using the multiplier. I am not going to say that a State Championship means nothing to them in 5a, because the kids deserve to celebrate their accomplishment, but it wouldn't have really been done on a level playing field. Especially when you have kids who are recruited in from over 40 miles away. I don't know of any 5a public schools that get kids from over 40 miles away.

If SR doesn't win it all in 5a, that would be shocking. A traditional 7a power, drops own 2 classes because it hasn't made the playoffs in 2 years, should be able to win it all in 5a when they get back to their traditional powerhouse status. Wouldn't H-F, if they were dropped to 6a, be one of the favorites to win 6a next year? If/when SR wins 5a this year, they should automatically be multiplied up to their "legitimate" class using the multiplier. I am not going to say that a State Championship means nothing to them in 5a, because the kids deserve to celebrate their accomplishment, but it wouldn't have really been done on a level playing field. Especially when you have kids who are recruited in from over 40 miles away. I don't know of any 5a public schools that get kids from over 40 miles away.
40 miles?

Would Phillips have been 5a or 4a? Could they have slowed this train that is Rita, the most unstoppable team ever assembled?
tough to run on phillips, a team would have to have a creative offensive attack so that defense can back off a little but

They won 2 playoff games in 2017.

still have to coach them up. whether a public gets an in district kid or private a kid 10miles away not many 8th graders are coming in varsity ready. didn't know teams were bringing in 1st team all staters from youth football

Reactions: Gene K.
Do you have any idea how far 40 miles is? That's like a student traveling from Bourbonnais, Aurora or Schaumburg. People love St. Rita, travel long distances to get there, make sacrifices and parents deal with the inconvenience of sending their kids there, but 40 miles seems like a stretch. Maybe I am wrong and kids do travel 40 miles to get to SR, but that just speaks to the testament to peoples' feeling for the school.

Reactions: Gene K.
Nothing will replace it. Still wish they could try to make the new place feel a bit more intimate
how would they do that, drop some ideas?
You can’t really ever replicate the Snake pit because the South end zone was about 9 yds deep then a concrete wall, home sidelines about 3 yds deep then brick wall oh and avoid the stairwell and sewer caps that creeped next to the home sideline. But I like the current stadium (especially when it’s filled) and I think it’s going to be a lot nicer very soon now that new President Quaid is in the building and they can begin on their plans for the east side stands.

Do you have any idea how far 40 miles is? That's like a student traveling from Bourbonnais, Aurora or Schaumburg. People love St. Rita, travel long distances to get there, make sacrifices and parents deal with the inconvenience of sending their kids there, but 40 miles seems like a stretch. Maybe I am wrong and kids do travel 40 miles to get to SR, but that just speaks to the testament to peoples' feeling for the school.
I know how far it is for sure. And yes, there is a group of them that travel there. They play sports and are great kids. Just making the point that when your recruitment radius is 40 miles it makes the playing field a little less even, especially in 5a and smaller classes.

how would they do that, drop some ideas?

On the east sideline, I think they should have the same stands used at MCs stadium, which run end zone to end zone.

On the north side of the stadium, just outside the fence, build a one story brick structure that runs sideline to sideline containing batting cages for baseball and a home locker room for football. Also, in the center of that structure, erect a brick wall upward containing a replica of the scoreboard used at the snake pit as a tribute to 63rd (I loved how PATs and FGs were kicked into the wall of the school bldg)

Move the current home “locker room” to the west sidelines to be used by the visitors.

Keep the south end zone open. I like to see 79th street as it gives the stadium a good city feel.

I’d love to also see bleachers in the north end zone like the early days of Doyle stadium. But I am not sure that’s possible given the field is used for other sports

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT