ADVERTISEMENT

St. Rita Upsets SCN: 26 - 16.

Great defensive effort by St.Rita 3 picks

I just love the fact that this coaching staff has focused on getting talented and teachable athletes in that defensive backfield. Not sure how many yards the SCN QB threw for, but that's a great offense and to limit them to 16 points was outstanding. Yes, I guess the weather didn't make things better, but whatever.

Why not us!!!?

You know, I wholeheartedly agree with this sentiment. Going in, I thought SR would win the games that they should win and lose the games that they should lose. More stable team this year with Jake Z. having a year of experience under his belt.

Kids are buying in to this coaching staff and they should because it's a great coaching staff led by a great head coach in Todd. I also see a lot of juniors making a lot of plays on this year's team. Future looks bright.

Chris Childers had a heck of the game. There were times in the game when on short yardage situations they had 8 in the box to stop him. On multiple carries he gained 5 and 6 yards after contact. The unsung heros today were the offensive line who I would like to give a shout out to! A lot of guys are playing out there dinged up and limping.

The tackling and defensive back play this year is so much improved over last year.

Step up in competition next week. Special teams need be focused next week.

Anyone know what the call was on Childers 5 yard run? It was never explained?

Last edited:
I never chimned in on this game but I never thought SR was going to lose this game. Catholic Blue flexing their muscles today! MC, SR, PC, and LA all advance to quarterfinals!

Well MC and SR will both need track spikes next week if they want to win.

LA will end Marist’s season next week.

PC will win next week too.

The Cities of Normal and St Charles had a bad day today. Normal Community and Normal Community West both lost today as did St. Charles North and St. Charles East.

And BR is still undefeated in post season play.

OLine played great. Played without 6'5 300lb #77. Started sophomore in his place in first varsity start. But everyone knew #1 had to play real well for SR to have a chance and he more than delivered. Trusted the hole, exploded through. Shout out to C #57. He's like the glue holding it together calming down back up QBs, making sure all his different line mates are on the same page.

What a game by the D! Took away the run early. Made SCN one dimensional. Got hands up to block passes, wrapped up when tackling and made 3 ints. Watching JR CB #29 and SCN JR #27 match up all game was something special. #29 was stellar along with #3, #9, 10, #5. I mean keep it up.

With the draw all the teams got in the lower bracket of 7A, any of those 8 teams could've moved on to state. SR, LZ, MC, and ESL still in it, talk about exciting. And PN, SCN and Normal in different years with different draws would've gone further too. SCN were excellent hosts and should be extremely proud of that senior class.

Reactions: Wittymoniker1
That Rita D has played pretty well all year- play with a chip on their shoulders & attitude.

Chris Childers had a heck of the game. There were times in the game when on short yardage situations they had 8 in the box to stop him. On multiple carries he gained 5 and 6 yards after contact. The unsung heros today were the offensive line who I would like to give a shout out to! A lot of guys are playing out there dinged up and limping.

The tackling and defensive back play this year is so much improved over last year.

Step up in competition next week. Special teams needs be focused next week.

Anyone know what the call was on Childers 5 yard run? It was never explained?
Had to be inadvertent whistle or waved off flag. I don't know but it just seemed like a do over. No down change or yardage walked off. Just went back to LOS and played the down again. But the play I'm talking about was like a 15 yd gain by Childers

I never chimned in on this game but I never thought SR was going to lose this game. Catholic Blue flexing their muscles today! MC, SR, PC, and LA all advance to quarterfinals!

You know I getting all caught up in Cascia's quarterfinal run here that I am forgetting the fact that PC-LA-MC are all alive as well. I so much would love to see a MC-SR semifinal matchup at Gately in Chicago. Let's do this CCL Blue!

Congrats Rita and Rock Sooooop!

Sorry I couldn't make it out for the game today. I had a great time painting the house for about 6 hours.

Reactions: RockSoup
As I've said Not a upset.Rita plays tough schedule.SCN cupcakes
Interesting note:
SR played 4 quarter finalists in a row after playing second rounder Rich Central. The games were:
Rich Central
PC
StL
MC
LA

What a meat grinder! And I think it leads to people who don't see them live to not be impressed with SR. Like oh they didn't win by much or they lost last minute or LA drummed them again even though it was the 5th of the slate and 21-14 in the 3rd quarter. But the Blue schedules have served the conference well this year. Don't stop now boys!

If Rita keeps winning, a case can be made that they have navigated the most difficult playoff path in the state (including 8A). You start with a good Simeon team who was on a 6-game winning streak. Then, you get a 1-loss SCN team who had taken down Batavia and SCE. Next is either the first or second ranked team in 7A, undefeated LZ. If they win that, they probably get the defending 7A and odds on favorites in ESL. And that's just to get to the title game. 1-32 seeding has alleviated some of the inequities in the playoffs, but let's face it, the actual seeding process is bogus.

As I've said Not a upset.Rita plays tough schedule.SCN cupcakes

Yes, Rita did play a tough schedule, but they played a tough schedule last year and lost in Round 1 to a team they were beating by 21 points at one point.

Playing a tough schedule can get one's team dinged up a little or a lot, which plays a major role come playoff time. Sometimes, a team playing in a weaker conference with some talent beats those teams who played a tougher schedule. I think WN had a grueling scheduling and lost to Batavia, who lost to SCN.

Last edited:
If Rita keeps winning, a case can be made that they have navigated the most difficult playoff path in the state (including 8A). You start with a good Simeon team who was on a 6-game winning streak. Then, you get a 1-loss SCN team who had taken down Batavia and SCE. Next is either the first or second ranked team in 7A, undefeated LZ. If they win that, they probably get the defending 7A and odds on favorites in ESL. And that's just to get to the title game. 1-32 seeding has alleviated some of the inequities in the playoffs, but let's face it, the actual seeding process is bogus.
Yes when I saw the draw and saw the possibility for SCN in the second round, I knew that it would be a rough ride. I knew how good SCN is but don't have the name or program history of an LZ or ESL so hoped that the SR team knew what they were getting into yesterday. Obviously, the coaching staff did a great job on prepping them and the kids did a great job understanding and executing. Now LZ, serious Illinois state program success pedigree this century. #onepossessionatatime

This is a great point. I loathed the quads and I am curious as to what it would've looked like for this year--probably SR playing MC in Round 1 with the winner getting ESL in Round 2.

And compared to puke quads, I love the 1 - 32 seeding, but as you mentioned, the seeding process needs more refinement. Someone posted a playoff seeding type thing; I wondering what 7A would've looked like with his/her process.

Reactions: tomloner
Yes, Rita did play a tough schedule, but they played a tough schedule last year and lost in the Round 1 to a team they were beating by 21 points at one point.

This is one of the most frustrating losses I have ever attended. From the stands it looked like they went into prevent defense too early in the game and had trouble turning it back on. Give Rockford credit. They went for two for the win not the PAT for the tie.

This is a great point. I loathed the quads and I am curious as to what it would've looked like for this year--probably SR playing MC in Round 1 with the winner getting ESL in Round 2.

And compared to puke quads, I love the 1 - 32 seeding, but as you mentioned, the seeding process needs more refinement. Someone posted a playoff seeding type thing; I wondering what 7A would've looked like with his/her process.
Google Tyfa playoff system - awards points for strength of schedule and those grow weekly as you should be progressing ... some formula they run 2000 times and there you have it - true seeds.

Reactions: Wittymoniker1

2003-2005 IHSA went with Quads. 2005 2nd round:

Mount Carmel 41
Loyola 3

St. Rita 47
Marist 7

How did Loyola get to a southern Quad with teams South of Loyola in the Northern top two Quads - St. Charles East and St. Charles North?

2006 IHSA went with 1-16 and St. Rita won the state. 2007 & 2008 they went Quads again. 2009-2015 they went 1-16 and since 1-32.

2010 St. Rita and Chicago Simeon both went into the northern bracket. Still can't figure that one out.

While there still are problems with 1-32. Playoff points do not take into account strength of schedule. CPS 8-1 and 7-2 teams getting blown out in 1st round. But it sure beats the Quads.

Nope. Upper 8A.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT