ADVERTISEMENT

Spring Football-Who starts?

BornNRazed

Gold Member
Aug 22, 2018
My apologies if this was addressed on another thread but it has occurred to me that if football does happen this spring. Would a coach opt to play his up and coming sophmores and juniors over seniors? I know its bad karma, terrible for morale and all that, but it would also make some sense. For me personally i hate even saying it. Thoughts?

My apologies if this was addressed on another thread but it has occurred to me that if football does happen this spring. Would a coach opt to play his up and coming sophmores and juniors over seniors? I know its bad karma, terrible for morale and all that, but it would also make some sense. For me personally i hate even saying it. Thoughts?

I would presume it would be no different then a regular fall season in regards to who plays.

I’m definitely going to give them more playing time but I’m going to do the opposite and play every senior I can the most I can. They are graduating and for most will be there last time playing. If a Soph or Junior gets hurt bad in April, he may miss the 2021 Fall season.

I do not think any self respecting coach would do that to any Senior who has put the effort in over the previous 3.5 years into the program.

Reactions: Gene K.
I do not think any self respecting coach would do that to any Senior who has put the effort in over the previous 3.5 years into the program.

Underclassmen start in front of seniors all the time in every program. Why does it matter if it is fall or spring?

One big factor in playing time would have to be how well the player stayed in contact with the allowed activities of the team during the long and multiple off-seasons. I think if someone of any class has disappeared for a long time and only starts to come around after the first of the year, they could be in for a surprise. Unless, of course, during some of those months involvement in other permitted school sports has occurred.

Reactions: caravan8
Underclassmen start in front of seniors all the time in every program. Why does it matter if it is fall or spring?
I think the original question was geared towards playing more juniors and sophomores over the seniors not because they give the team a better chance to win this spring season, but order to develop them to give the team a better chance at the fall 2021 season. I think that’s why he responded the way he did.

I think the original question was geared towards playing more juniors and sophomores over the seniors not because they give the team a better chance to win this spring season, but order to develop them to give the team a better chance at the fall 2021 season. I think that’s why he responded the way he did.

Yeah we are not talking about kids who get beat out. I am talking about starting younger kids who are not as good because you are building for the season 5 months later if it happens.

yes that was my point

Reactions: caravan8
yes that was my point
I don’t think it happens solely for that reason but I do think you will see more younger players getting reps in games for a couple reasons. 1) to do exactly as you’re thinking, develop those kids for the (hopefully) fall 2021 season 2) it seems inevitable that some kids will contract the virus and when they do they’ll sit out for a certain time and it’ll be next man up 3) some coaches will weigh the positives and negatives on players physically going through a season in the spring and then turning around and having a season in the fall and adjust to ensure that the players can get through it as healthy and injury free as possible.

It will happen. Maybe not a kid who is clearly better as a SR. but if two kids are evenly matched or pretty much the same in skill then I would bet you will see the underclassmen getting more reps than they normally would.

Reactions: Gene K.
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT