ADVERTISEMENT

IHSA TV Ideas?

Idea one: Play the 1, 3, 5 and 7A games on Friday, with the remainder on Saturday. The obvious advantage to the IHSA and all the fans is the 7A and 8A games being played in prime time. The 5 and 6 games will get a boost,as well at 4pm. Yes, there have been a some fine 4A games, but does the majority of the public really care that much?

Idea two: figure our some way of presenting the awards off-camera so that the next game can proceed. I know that the awards mean a lot to the players (and especially the administrators and coaches looking to pad their resumes), but their brief disappointment will keep the audience from switching the channel.

Reactions: dhamp6
Two March's ago, I actually tuned into the Class 1A basketball playoffs for like the first time in forever to watch a Yorkville Christian team play that I had never heard of. The reason? They had a star who was going to Duke and I wanted to see him play. Basketball can create stars. Football is the ultimate team sport and in Illinois, we don't really have a lot of 5-star players at positions (quarterback/running back) that can attract casual fans.
Having watched the state finals each November, some things are obvious. Yes, the production of the games is subpar, but that's because fans are used to watching top-quality college and NFL telecasts. I am sure your network guys are doing absolutely the best job they can.
Starting this year, you have the Aaron Rodgers-led NY Jets playing at 3 p.m. on Black Friday, along with Big Ten games Iowa-Nebraska at 11 a.m. and MSU-Penn State at night. On Saturday, you. have OSU-Michigan at 11, Northwestern-Illinois, Alabama-Auburn etc.
Unless you are an alum of the school or live in the city where the high school team is playing for a state title, the casual fan has too many good alternate choices to tuning into the high school games.
And I've watched your games each November, and it appears to me that getting companies to pay real cash for commercials is akin to a taffy pull.
So, my recommendation is to swipe a page from the Indiana football calendar and start the season one week earlier.
Changing nothing else, it means the 1-4A title games are on Friday, Nov. 17, and the 5-8A games are on Saturday, Nov. 18. (I am just using this year's calendar, I get it can't be changed at all for 2023-2024.)
My point is this: By playing title games a week earlier, I am taking early Christmas shopping out of the equation, I am taking holiday basketball tourneys out of the equation, I am taking the NFL out of the equation, and I am greatly reducing the number of attractive college football games that would be viewing competition.
If your goal is to attract more viewers, then I think changing the title weekend is your best alternative. You can't really go into December because that's college football conference championship weekend, and also the smaller schools need football players to also be their basketball players. So instead of starting one week before Labor Day weekend, you start two weeks before the holiday. The schedule remains the same, only the dates change.
With this current setup, I don't see any way to attract more casual fans.

On air TV may be dead, but sports rights are alive and well. The IHSA has a product that's live and with advertisers at the ready. Not many, but that can grow. Still, on air TV is looking for content because of so many cord cutters, so it's coming full circle now.

Public Access BATV has been doing well for years for what it is. They invest nothing though and the product is not State Level quality. (And I've been on BATV!)

Also, who has research assistants?! Not me. You guys are it!
I'm involved with BATV both at the board level and in the broadcast booth - we've invested a lot of money over the past 5-6 years on technology primarily used for football. We've replaced inexperienced student camera operators with dedicated staff and volunteers and have a director with prior experience at Comcast's Game of the Week. We know we're not professional level but like to think our product is amongst the best in the Chicago area. Time to pay us a visit again!

Two March's ago, I actually tuned into the Class 1A basketball playoffs for like the first time in forever to watch a Yorkville Christian team play that I had never heard of. The reason? They had a star who was going to Duke and I wanted to see him play. Basketball can create stars. Football is the ultimate team sport and in Illinois, we don't really have a lot of 5-star players at positions (quarterback/running back) that can attract casual fans.
Having watched the state finals each November, some things are obvious. Yes, the production of the games is subpar, but that's because fans are used to watching top-quality college and NFL telecasts. I am sure your network guys are doing absolutely the best job they can.
Starting this year, you have the Aaron Rodgers-led NY Jets playing at 3 p.m. on Black Friday, along with Big Ten games Iowa-Nebraska at 11 a.m. and MSU-Penn State at night. On Saturday, you. have OSU-Michigan at 11, Northwestern-Illinois, Alabama-Auburn etc.
Unless you are an alum of the school or live in the city where the high school team is playing for a state title, the casual fan has too many good alternate choices to tuning into the high school games.
And I've watched your games each November, and it appears to me that getting companies to pay real cash for commercials is akin to a taffy pull.
So, my recommendation is to swipe a page from the Indiana football calendar and start the season one week earlier.
Changing nothing else, it means the 1-4A title games are on Friday, Nov. 17, and the 5-8A games are on Saturday, Nov. 18. (I am just using this year's calendar, I get it can't be changed at all for 2023-2024.)
My point is this: By playing title games a week earlier, I am taking early Christmas shopping out of the equation, I am taking holiday basketball tourneys out of the equation, I am taking the NFL out of the equation, and I am greatly reducing the number of attractive college football games that would be viewing competition.
If your goal is to attract more viewers, then I think changing the title weekend is your best alternative. You can't really go into December because that's college football conference championship weekend, and also the smaller schools need football players to also be their basketball players. So instead of starting one week before Labor Day weekend, you start two weeks before the holiday. The schedule remains the same, only the dates change.
Well said. I am far more than a casual high school fan and even I have a real hard time caring about any of the Saturday championship games not involving my own team to watch over Michigan-Ohio State, the Iron Bowl, or ND-USC.

I almost always record the high school games and watch them after the best day of college football all season comes to an end around midnight. If I just avoid this site, I can avoid spoilers for the HS games. I can’t avoid spoilers from the biggest college games, so I have to watch them live.

You said it well, thanksgiving weekend is just too cut throat from a sports entertainment option for any uninvested fan to consider spending time on a high school game.

I'm involved with BATV both at the board level and in the broadcast booth - we've invested a lot of money over the past 5-6 years on technology primarily used for football. We've replaced inexperienced student camera operators with dedicated staff and volunteers and have a director with prior experience at Comcast's Game of the Week. We know we're not professional level but like to think our product is amongst the best in the Chicago area. Time to pay us a visit again!
You're right! Best thing that could have happened to you guys too was the new stadium renovations. Bigger press box, more room underneath, one of the best stadiums in the western burbs. For me growing up in Geneva in the 80's and 90's, I was always envious of BATV's existence. No one ever mistook it for a network broadcast, but it was reliable knowing what you were going to get. That's 30 years ago, so bravo for holding on for as long as you have!!

BTown makes another good point. There's a lot of volunteers that go into many of these broadcast throughout the year. Whether it's students learning the ropes, or local lifers who do it because they love it, we have to remember that when we are looking to increase the quality of a high school sports production.

The biggest issue at this point is probably where do people go to find BATV. I'll pay you guys a visit, you pick the week, I'll be happy to jump on the call.

Idea one: Play the 1, 3, 5 and 7A games on Friday, with the remainder on Saturday. The obvious advantage to the IHSA and all the fans is the 7A and 8A games being played in prime time. The 5 and 6 games will get a boost,as well at 4pm. Yes, there have been a some fine 4A games, but does the majority of the public really care that much?

Idea two: figure our some way of presenting the awards off-camera so that the next game can proceed. I know that the awards mean a lot to the players (and especially the administrators and coaches looking to pad their resumes), but their brief disappointment will keep the audience from switching the channel.
Idea 1 - Been something I've wanted to see for years. Two prime time windows of 7A Friday, 8A Saturday
(Remember the 2, 1, 4, 3, 6, 5, 8, 7 schedule? lol)

Idea 2 - Will never happen. IHSA wants that on camera, and I think you need to show young kids what they're playing for. I never forgot that as an 8-year-old. 3rd Place is one thing, but you have to see the culmination. That's the whole point.

A lot here. Moving up to the week before won't happen. But when the Bears figure it out, it opens the door for a ton more flexibility.

How would this sound in Arlington Heights...?

Friday 11/24 - (1A, 3A, 5A)
Saturday 11/25 - (2A, 4A, 6A)
Monday 11/27 - (7A)
Tuesday 11/28 - (8A)

Drawbacks? Sure. Plenty. Basketball coaches are already squirming. But you want media coverage? A big audience on that Monday / Tuesday post Thanksgiving? Better quality broadcast? Oh yeah.

Am I allowed to support anything from Batavia? Might need a ruling on that :)
Matt the statue of limitations might be up now 😂

BTW Matt you wouldn't recognize Morris anymore...finally stepped up facilities a bit.

Matt the statue of limitations might be up now 😂

BTW Matt you wouldn't recognize Morris anymore...finally stepped up facilities a bit.
They did a tremendous job with that building. I ran on cinders there ... in 1998 !! Track coach there is one of the nicest guys around.

But what's their nickname? :)

A lot here. Moving up to the week before won't happen. But when the Bears figure it out, it opens the door for a ton more flexibility.

How would this sound in Arlington Heights...?

Friday 11/24 - (1A, 3A, 5A)
Saturday 11/25 - (2A, 4A, 6A)
Monday 11/27 - (7A)
Tuesday 11/28 - (8A)

Drawbacks? Sure. Plenty. Basketball coaches are already squirming. But you want media coverage? A big audience on that Monday / Tuesday post Thanksgiving? Better quality broadcast? Oh yeah.
This kind of schedule actually is outstanding. But you need a dome to be weather-proof. They key here is Bears' stadium. Likely 99 pct. of Bears fans are never going to get to see a game at the new indoor arena ... basically because of being priced out. (OK, maybe an exhibition game which nobody cares about.) Have you seen what a ticket costs on secondary market at Soldier Field for the coming season? Quadruple that maybe for regular-season tickets in 2029? We're going to be in Taylor Swift concert territory X 2 or 3. But, a meaningful championship game on the Monday or Tuesday after Thanksgiving featuring high quality high school programs is an open invite to thousands who want to watch a game in the dome but can't due to economics. So you get the crowd! And then you get TV because colleges aren't playing on Monday/Tuesday (the exception being nowadays the MAC which sold their soul to ESPN), and obviously MNF. Just need to make an agreement with the Bears not to have a road game that Monday night and you have TV interest which gets sponsors, and you have fan attendance interest.
Prep hoops coaches won't have heart attacks because at 7A and 8A powerhouse fb schools, it's less likely that a fb player is a main cog on the basketball team as well. This is, after all, the era of specialization and one-sport playing 24/7/365. And in another 5-6 years, that's going to be even more so the case.
The bad part is that I doubt the IHSA has a seat at the Arlington Heights/Chicago Bears negotiating table. Nothing worse than having to sit on your hands and wait.
And until then, what I suspect is that any IHSA costs that improve television production will need to increase TV viewership and I have not read anything on this thread so far that's going to do that.

This kind of schedule actually is outstanding. But you need a dome to be weather-proof. They key here is Bears' stadium. Likely 99 pct. of Bears fans are never going to get to see a game at the new indoor arena ... basically because of being priced out. (OK, maybe an exhibition game which nobody cares about.) Have you seen what a ticket costs on secondary market at Soldier Field for the coming season? Quadruple that maybe for regular-season tickets in 2029? We're going to be in Taylor Swift concert territory X 2 or 3. But, a meaningful championship game on the Monday or Tuesday after Thanksgiving featuring high quality high school programs is an open invite to thousands who want to watch a game in the dome but can't due to economics. So you get the crowd! And then you get TV because colleges aren't playing on Monday/Tuesday (the exception being nowadays the MAC which sold their soul to ESPN), and obviously MNF. Just need to make an agreement with the Bears not to have a road game that Monday night and you have TV interest which gets sponsors, and you have fan attendance interest.
Prep hoops coaches won't have heart attacks because at 7A and 8A powerhouse fb schools, it's less likely that a fb player is a main cog on the basketball team as well. This is, after all, the era of specialization and one-sport playing 24/7/365. And in another 5-6 years, that's going to be even more so the case.
The bad part is that I doubt the IHSA has a seat at the Arlington Heights/Chicago Bears negotiating table. Nothing worse than having to sit on your hands and wait.
And until then, what I suspect is that any IHSA costs that improve television production will need to increase TV viewership and I have not read anything on this thread so far that's going to do that.
You laid out the casual audience for me really well. Loyola-LWE, wanna see that in person?

"Hey kids, let's go watch that for $15."

Inside = better product in late November
10 day layoff = build up at school, plus rest for athletes (14 wk schedule), deep breath for coaches
5 day event = tons of post game / reaction coverage

Regular season CFB is done, which also means coaches from all over the country can come and you won't compete against other states either. Becomes a serious recruiting showcase.

But if the Bears are home for MNF that week? You move the 7A and 8A together on Tuesday in a DH (5 PM / 8 PM) not ideal, but not terrible. IHSA has a relationship with the Bears, but they're just sitting and waiting. Keep an eye on the contracts for Normal beyond 2027.

Hoops coaches? It really hurts 4 schools. That's it. In fact, it helps schools that host Thx tournaments.

Again, this ONLY works inside.

You laid out the casual audience for me really well. Loyola-LWE, wanna see that in person?

"Hey kids, let's go watch that for $15."

Inside = better product in late November
10 day layoff = build up at school, plus rest for athletes (14 wk schedule), deep breath for coaches
5 day event = tons of post game / reaction coverage

Regular season CFB is done, which also means coaches from all over the country can come and you won't compete against other states either. Becomes a serious recruiting showcase.

But if the Bears are home for MNF that week? You move the 7A and 8A together on Tuesday in a DH (5 PM / 8 PM) not ideal, but not terrible. IHSA has a relationship with the Bears, but they're just sitting and waiting. Keep an eye on the contracts for Normal beyond 2027.

Hoops coaches? It really hurts 4 schools. That's it. In fact, it helps schools that host Thx tournaments.

Again, this ONLY works inside.
Stupid me. I forgot another huge boost with playing 7a and 8A finals on Monday/Tuesday.
School is in session. As of now basically thanksgiving week is a week off for students. Imagine the school energy and mania T four big schools knowing they have their fb team playing for a state title that very night. That situation never occurs as finals on prep sports are Saturday fixtures. You can have wild pep rallies a team send off to Arlington heights and a bus caravan with thousands of students. I m all in for that. Anything that generates incredible school spirit is a major positive.

They did a tremendous job with that building. I ran on cinders there ... in 1998 !! Track coach there is one of the nicest guys around.

But what's their nickname? :)
Nickname....no idea what's going to happen

1998....you might of been one of the last to run there. I don't think they ever had a track meet there when my 3 kids went to school there in early 2000's.

TV ratings really mean nothing to IHSA in regards to the actual broadcast.....I mean sure they want people to watch but they prefer and definitely benefit from in stadium crowds....aka gate receipts

TV ratings really mean nothing to IHSA in regards to the actual broadcast.....I mean sure they want people to watch but they prefer and definitely benefit from in stadium crowds....aka gate receipts
They really don't, you're right, its never going to dominate the ratings, but I do believe they want to put out a competitive product as best they can. Butts in seats is first, the event in the building will matter way more, but it's not everything in a digital world and I think they understand that.

They make their money from Qtr/Semi games, and from Sectionals. That gate is a big factor for the rest of the year.

All.... Those ticket prices go up the deeper a school makes it into the postseason every game. I believe in the quarters it starts. And the Ihsa gets a bigger cut then normal for postseason games. Ratsy

Didn't CSN use to have "The Drive" focusing on one football team for the entire season? What happened to that...

They no longer cover high school sports.
Got...thanks. That sucks. I kind of figured that when it wasn't featured on their website. I doubt it but any other similar show or podcast for the Chicagoland area?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT