ADVERTISEMENT

Sports Bars - Champaign

cornerrat

Aug 1, 2009
All.... Last year in DeKalb it was pretty easy finding the spot where fans hung out before, during, and after the state finals. Fatty's very close to the stadium.

What about Champaign? Does anyone know or have suggestions where "the" place is to go. I don't really see any place close to the stadium. Looking for a lively bar with fans. Ratsy

All.... Last year in DeKalb it was pretty easy finding the spot where fans hung out before, during, and after the state finals. Fatty's very close to the stadium.

What about Champaign? Does anyone know or have suggestions where "the" place is to go. I don't really see any place close to the stadium. Looking for a lively bar with fans. Ratsy
All of the campus bars are great but they might be closed because students are gone.

Downtown Champaign
Fat City
Tumble Inn
Esquire
Jupiter's Pizza - Downtown or Windsor Rd
Farrens - phenomenal burgers, not really. Bar tho

Not far from Campus
Aspen Tap House has great Bison burgers

Far from Campus
Billy Barooz

Reactions: JCHillmen

You won’t find much close to the stadium. I believe the I hotel next to State Farm center has a houlihans, but that’s the only choice within a half mile to mile.

If you’re willing to walk a distance, murphys or legends on green street should give the best environment. They are on campus, but have more a sports bar vibe than the other campus bars. There is also a place called Illini inn that is also on campus and a bit closer, but they close at 10 I believe and wouldn’t be a post game option for 4A.

Champaign is tough because the only places that would give a decent pre game atmosphere are a fair walk away so there is no centralized hub of activity.

A few years back, murphys on Saturday afternoon was great on championship Saturday because you had 5A fans postgaming while 7A and 8A fans weee pre gaming. Not sure if there will be that much foot traffic on a Friday championship afternoon/evening, but murphys, legends, and Illini inn are really the only three I can think of to suggest.

All of the campus bars are great but they might be closed because students are gone.

Downtown Champaign
Fat City
Tumble Inn
Esquire
Jupiter's Pizza - Downtown or Windsor Rd
Farrens - phenomenal burgers, not really. Bar tho

Not far from Campus
Aspen Tap House has great Bison burgers

Far from Campus
Billy Barooz
I didn’t even think about downtown Champaign, but I’ll add Black Dog to the list if you’re into barbecue.

You won’t find much close to the stadium. I believe the I hotel next to State Farm center has a houlihans, but that’s the only choice within a half mile to mile.
They fill up pretty fast as it's not a big place and all of the people staying at the hotel end up downstairs.

All.... Thank you for all of the suggestions. This will be a first doing the bar thing Champaign. I'm used on the 5A finals doing a tailgate very early for the 10pm game. And twice in 6A for the 1pm start. A very good time.

It seems 7pm isn't conducive much for tailgating. Last year in DeKalb as our group parked in the assigned SHG area I didn't see anyone set up. Not sure about the Hilltopper area. I know Fatty's Bar was wall to wall with the SHG and JCA faithful. I think part of the issue even setting up at say 3pm you only have a little more then an hour before it gets dark. Ratsy

Last edited:

Wish I could recommend a place, Champaign is a dump

Wish I could recommend a place, Champaign is a dump
So the whole twin cities of 130,000 is devoid of any restaurant or bar worth visiting? I mean, it may not be Madison or Tempe, but it is pretty much the same as the rest of the Big Ten college towns that are centered exclusively around the university.

Madison, Minneapolis, Columbus, etc are a little different because they are capital cities or major metro areas in their own right, but the rest of the Big Ten is unique college towns all with their own charm and limitations. Look, I hate Iowa and Iowa city as much as anyone. But if I can’t think of a few places to recommend and be able to point out some of its redeeming qualities, that says a lot more about me than it does Iowa City.

Last edited:
Reactions: USD24

Legends on Green Street is a good place too. Red Grange’s jersey is on display and they make a great fish sandwich.

Murphy’s is 1/2 block east on Green from Legends…an iconic campus location.

Legends on Green Street is a good place too. Red Grange’s jersey is on display and they make a great fish sandwich.

Murphy’s is 1/2 block east on Green from Legends…an iconic campus location.
Agreed. If looking for the quintessential campus experience, it has to be one of those two. They are the most likely to have a fun crowd of IHSA fans as well. Certain to be crowded and fun on Saturday all day. Friday could be hit or miss depending on fan turnout.

I remember being consoled at murphys by Maine south and Marist fans in 2009 after the JC collapse against montini.

Quite a tough memory from the game that day and the good times and football brotherhood of that postgame atmosphere still sits with me far more than the disappointing loss.

Reactions: all4theillini
All..... Fwiw Murphy's and Legends were two fun places for the pregame festivities. Especially Legends. There was a good size group of EIC fans in Legends as well and for whatever reason decided to watch the game at the bar. They were sweating out that first quarter of their game. (lol) Ratsy

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT