ADVERTISEMENT

Soucie back in the lab cooking up stuff...

Soucie always does great work and has some good ideas. I hate to be a bit of a downer, but from what everything I'm hearing postseason play will be regionally based according to the 11 IDPH regions. For example, schools in Will and Kankakee Counties are grouped together and can only play postseason games against one another.Looking at that region only for postseason play it might be best to breakdown teams by two sizes. Big Schools and Small Schools. For other regions it may be different and better to separate teams another way. Remember, these teams are allowed to travel outside their region for regular season conference games. For this region its unknown if Plainfield South will be in this region or the region with Kendall and Grundy County teams. Plainfield South is in PSD202, has a Joliet address, but is in Kendall County so that is still to be confirmed by anyone I've talked to. If a school is an IHSA member, but does not have football I indicated that. Best way to do it is if you end up winning your conference you get automatic bid to playoffs. If not have formula similar to playoff formula that we have now or have the coaches or media or a combination of the two vote on seeding and at-large bids. Top 4 Big Schools and Top 4 Small Schools make it with best seed hosting semi-finals. Championship Saturday could be at Joliet Memorial Stadium. For teams that didn't make playoffs. Option for an exhibition game the week of semi-finals. I'm going to go off of last seasons results in the last 7 weeks because most teams are scheduling based off weeks 3-9.

BIG SCHOOLS (15) *16
Bolingbrook 4-3
Bradley-Bourbonnais 3-4
Crete-Monee 7-0 conference champ
Joliet Central 1-6
Joliet West 4-3 conference champ on tiebreaker over PEHS and PSHS
Kankakee 7-0 lost to Crete-Monee in week 2
Lincoln-Way Central 1-6
Lincoln-Way East 7-0 conference champ
Lincoln-Way West 4-3
Lockport 4-3
Plainfield Central 1-6
Plainfield East 4-3 lost 3-way tiebreaker to Joliet West
Plainfield North 4-3
Providence 4-3
Romeoville 1-6

Semi-Finals

4. Joliet West at 1. Lincoln Way East
3. Kankakee at 2. Crete-Monee

SMALL SCHOOLS (13)
Beecher (No Football)
Bishop McNamara 5-2
Grace Christian (No Football)
Grant Park (No Football)
Herscher 2-5
Illinois Lutheran(No Football)
Joliet Catholic 6-1 conference champ
Manteno 5-2
Momence 1-6
Peotone 4-3
Reed-Custer 0-7
St. Anne (No Football)
Wilmington 6-1

Semi-Finals

4. Manteno at 1. Joliet Catholic
3. Bishop McNamara at 2. Wilmington

Last edited:
Given a 4-team playoff grouping, would a "3rd & 4th place" game be a component to provide a chance for a 9th game for more teams?

All..... Such strange times.

The Big 12 (currently with 11 teams) is picking up Quincy (Notre Dame) for just the 2021 season. Their format will be the first three games against traditional rivals. Then four conference games with the last one to determine the conference champion.

Equity for all in those conference games is going to be difficult. Ratsy

People are over complicating this. Take the number of weeks provided and work backwards. So 9 weeks all in right? If I understand it you could have everyone in a playoff with one extra round of playoffs (6 rounds starting at a 64 team brackets - may be able to reduce if cps opts out, I don’t know but set that aside for now). So 6 rounds of playoffs equal 6 of the 9 weeks allowed. Everyone plays 3 games then week 4 is bracketed (who cares if it’s seeded) and the 6 rounds of the playoffs start. Starting week 5 teams who lost week 4 start playing non playoff games again parallel to the playoff games.... as teams lose they go back to regular games and everyone plays 9 games but you still get a true champion at the end. And teams who lose and schedule regular games can play teams from any class again like usual. So you can play teams close by... Like JCA could play Joliet west or the like. And before you call those games before and after elimination meaningless exhibitions as it is now ALL games played would be exhibitions.... the kids will play to win. This gives us a true full playoff.

Last edited:
Reactions: Schwab54
I just don't realistically see how there can be any sort of a playoff with 9 weeks to play with. I think it was the Fall or bust for that. I think 9 weeks is best case scenario to if starting March 2. Very painful to watch all these other states playing and reversing course recently. I think best realistic situation is just play 7 or 8 games and have some sort of a Bowl Game. Maybe a game you wouldn't have normally.

Reactions: Panthers1211
The guidelines have been set. Unless, IHSA changes course a full playoff is a dream. Everything will be regionalized this school year for sports. Think of Illinois as 10 or 11 mini states.

Soucie always does great work and has some good ideas. I hate to be a bit of a downer, but from what everything I'm hearing postseason play will be regionally based according to the 11 IDPH regions. For example, schools in Will and Kankakee Counties are grouped together and can only play postseason games against one another.Looking at that region only for postseason play it might be best to breakdown teams by two sizes. Big Schools and Small Schools. For other regions it may be different and better to separate teams another way. Remember, these teams are allowed to travel outside their region for regular season conference games. For this region its unknown if Plainfield South will be in this region or the region with Kendall and Grundy County teams. Plainfield South is in PSD202, has a Joliet address, but is in Kendall County so that is still to be confirmed by anyone I've talked to. If a school is an IHSA member, but does not have football I indicated that. Best way to do it is if you end up winning your conference you get automatic bid to playoffs. If not have formula similar to playoff formula that we have now or have the coaches or media or a combination of the two vote on seeding and at-large bids. Top 4 Big Schools and Top 4 Small Schools make it with best seed hosting semi-finals. Championship Saturday could be at Joliet Memorial Stadium. For teams that didn't make playoffs. Option for an exhibition game the week of semi-finals. I'm going to go off of last seasons results in the last 7 weeks because most teams are scheduling based off weeks 3-9.

BIG SCHOOLS (15) *16
Bolingbrook 4-3
Bradley-Bourbonnais 3-4
Crete-Monee 7-0 conference champ
Joliet Central 1-6
Joliet West 4-3 conference champ on tiebreaker over PEHS and PSHS
Kankakee 7-0 lost to Crete-Monee in week 2
Lincoln-Way Central 1-6
Lincoln-Way East 7-0 conference champ
Lincoln-Way West 4-3
Lockport 4-3
Plainfield Central 1-6
Plainfield East 4-3 lost 3-way tiebreaker to Joliet West
Plainfield North 4-3
Providence 4-3
Romeoville 1-6

Semi-Finals

4. Joliet West at 1. Lincoln Way East
3. Kankakee at 2. Crete-Monee

SMALL SCHOOLS (13)
Beecher (No Football)
Bishop McNamara 5-2
Grace Christian (No Football)
Grant Park (No Football)
Herscher 2-5
Illinois Lutheran(No Football)
Joliet Catholic 6-1 conference champ
Manteno 5-2
Momence 1-6
Peotone 4-3
Reed-Custer 0-7
St. Anne (No Football)
Wilmington 6-1

Semi-Finals

4. Manteno at 1. Joliet Catholic
3. Bishop McNamara at 2. Wilmington

Given this analysis, where do schools who are in multiple IDPH Regions go? I suppose the big Region 11 question is Minooka, where there are schools in both Will and Grundy County, to go with the Plainfield South in Will & Kendall?

Given this analysis, where do schools who are in multiple IDPH Regions go? I suppose the big Region 11 question is Minooka, where there are schools in both Will and Grundy County, to go with the Plainfield South in Will & Kendall?
Minooka would be in region 2 North-Central with LaSalle,Bureau, Fulton, Henderson, Henry, knox, Livingston, Marshall, McDonough, McLean, Mercer, Peoria, Putnam, rock island, Stark, Tazewell, Warren, Woodford, Kendall and Grundy county schools. All though they have kids from Kendall and Will the district office and high school is in Grundy. For regular season conference games you can cross regions but for non-conference and playoffs you can't. Plainfield's with Will and Kankakee in South Suburban region 7. IDPH map is the source.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT