ADVERTISEMENT

So who will be the biggest surprise teams in 2017?

You so believe in recruiting rankings I see. They had all that and only beat a 7-3 team 16-6. Sounds unbeatable and unstoppable.
I believe in Power 5 offers for sure! That 7-3 team probably kills MC too, but I'm not familiar with them. I am familiar with MC's 4-5 team playing an Illinois schedule lol. I don't want to discredit the state I'm in but it's not even close to the caliber of football on IMG's schedule. Also most of those kids I listed weren't even at IMG last year so it's completely irrelevant what they did last year.

Do you honestly believe MC doesn't get clocked? Please tell me there are more reasonable people here.

I believe in Power 5 offers for sure! That 7-3 team probably kills MC too, but I'm not familiar with them. I am familiar with MC's 4-5 team playing an Illinois schedule lol. I don't want to discredit the state I'm in but it's not even close to the caliber of football on IMG's schedule. Also most of those kids I listed weren't even at IMG last year so it's completely irrelevant what they did last year.

Do you honestly believe MC doesn't get clocked? Please tell me there are more reasonable people here.

I believe MC runs the option which make it difficult to get clocked. I also have watched plenty of film on IMG and noticed they have a difficult time stopping the run. Their strength is pass rush and coverage. I am not saying MC is a great team but more of a bad matchup for IMG. In the end IMG would win with no problem but I don't think they would clock them. Also Illinois football is much better than people give them credit for.

I believe MC runs the option which make it difficult to get clocked. I also have watched plenty of film on IMG and noticed they have a difficult time stopping the run. Their strength is pass rush and coverage. I am not saying MC is a great team but more of a bad matchup for IMG. In the end IMG would win with no problem but I don't think they would clock them. Also Illinois football is much better than people give them credit for.
Sigh... your bias is showing, CalPreps projects 2016 matchup as 46-3 IMG. IMG is supposed to be better next year. MC is at its best when they can overpower teams at the POA and own the trenches, they love to eat clock and I can see why that would lead people to think that they could keep games close but not against a team as loaded as IMG on the DL. Look at it man. They have 8 DL with power 5 offers, EIGHT. That's just what's out there so far, more offers to come and more transfers to show up. When IMG is playing the whole game 3 feet behind the heels of the OL it'll be awfully hard for MC to control clock. The game will get out of hand quick as IMG will score at will and when one dimensional MC tries to throw because box is overloaded IMG's supreme athletes in the defensive backfield will handle MC's average receivers one on one with zero issue. Unless you think college coaches are just completely overlooking the whole state of Illinois the aren't even close to IMG caliber. Actually you can probably put together an all star roster for the entire state of Illinois and IMG's roster is still more impressive. Btw please make note that Houston Griffith was the chosen one at MC and many attributed their struggles to his departure (probably fair) he only played garbage time at IMG last year, the #37 2017 player in the country and a kid every college wants wasn't good enough to crack the lineup for his high school team. That should be pretty telling...

Edit: I'll leave it at that before someone cries about "hijacking the thread".

Sigh... your bias is showing, CalPreps projects 2016 matchup as 46-3 IMG. IMG is supposed to be better next year. MC is at its best when they can overpower teams at the POA and own the trenches, they love to eat clock and I can see why that would lead people to think that they could keep games close but not against a team as loaded as IMG on the DL. Look at it man. They have 8 DL with power 5 offers, EIGHT. That's just what's out there so far, more offers to come and more transfers to show up. When IMG is playing the whole game 3 feet behind the heels of the OL it'll be awfully hard for MC to control clock. The game will get out of hand quick as IMG will score at will and when one dimensional MC tries to throw because box is overloaded IMG's supreme athletes in the defensive backfield will handle MC's average receivers one on one with zero issue. Unless you think college coaches are just completely overlooking the whole state of Illinois the aren't even close to IMG caliber. Actually you can probably put together an all star roster for the entire state of Illinois and IMG's roster is still more impressive. Btw please make note that Houston Griffith was the chosen one at MC and many attributed their struggles to his departure (probably fair) he only played garbage time at IMG last year, the #37 2017 player in the country and a kid every college wants wasn't good enough to crack the lineup for his high school team. That should be pretty telling...

Edit: I'll leave it at that before someone cries about "hijacking the thread".

I disagree with some of this and some I agree with. Let's take Griffith. Are you telling me that if he played IMG defense would have been worst off? Probably not. As a matter of fact he might have been better than the senior in front of him however IMG has enough depth where it didn't matter. To highlight he barely got planning time is misleading.

I never said IMG wasn't a "super team" however, I know and understand it's not that simple. Heck even your example of 46-3 means they barely hit the 40 point running clock and they definitely didn't do it before half time. I will also add that it is much more difficult to beat teams you play ever year than it is to beat a team one time. Boise State made a living off of this.

In the end the matchup will never happen so it's a non issue.

I disagree with some of this and some I agree with. Let's take Griffith. Are you telling me that if he played IMG defense would have been worst off? Probably not. As a matter of fact he might have been better than the senior in front of him however IMG has enough depth where it didn't matter. To highlight he barely got planning time is misleading.

I never said IMG wasn't a "super team" however, I know and understand it's not that simple. Heck even your example of 46-3 means they barely hit the 40 point running clock and they definitely didn't do it before half time. I will also add that it is much more difficult to beat teams you play ever year than it is to beat a team one time. Boise State made a living off of this.

In the end the matchup will never happen so it's a non issue.

Do I think IMG would have been worse off with Houston on the field? No of course not, I think very highly of him as does every college and ranking company, but the fact is he didn't play, you think it's politics? Because I can guarantee it wasn't. IMG's 4 starting DB's last year are signed at Alabama, OSU x2 and LSU, so yeah Houston probably just wasn't good enough yet...

My 2017 MSL Surprises:

Up - Elk Grove - Up to 3 to 5 wins after 1 win in last two years
Hoffman Estates - I could see them taking the MSL West crown

Down - Fremd likely sub .500,
Palatine & Barrington not as strong as past two years; both relying heavily on senior classes

Simple question...and surprise can mean in a good way or a not so good way...

Post em here.

Back to the thread, I think LT could make the case. I've always followed college more, but one thing I've alsways looked for in these situations is a stellar returning QB and line play. LT returns both: possibly the to' returning passer in the state and multiple D1 linemen on both sides of the ball.

All HS's and college graduate players every year, but I've always felt if you can dominate on the lines and have a talented and experienced QB, you can fill in those other gaps. They seem to meet those criteria, but it's a tough conference and we will see.

Do I think IMG would have been worse off with Houston on the field? No of course not, I think very highly of him as does every college and ranking company, but the fact is he didn't play, you think it's politics? Because I can guarantee it wasn't. IMG's 4 starting DB's last year are signed at Alabama, OSU x2 and LSU, so yeah Houston probably just wasn't good enough yet...

I struggle with the term good enough. If he and the senior was identical then good enough is not the proper term. Good enough mean those guys are better which may not have been the case.

LT is going to be very dangerous this year, agree with the Paisan Priest.

First time in the history of this board I can remember anyone has agreed with me ha ha. Thank you. We'll see. I admittedly don't have enough time to follow other teams extensively and schools like Glenbard West and Hinsdale Central are well coached and seem to reload every year, but I wouldn't speak up if I didn't think something was there.

Will just chime in that I've watched first hand a bunch of these Naz skill players through off-season events, and agree that Godfather that they are in for a huge resurgence over the next several years. Several terrific offensive and defensive skill players coming up. I don't know enough about their QB position the next year or two, but I know they've got an incoming freshman QB who's phenomenal.

First time in the history of this board I can remember anyone has agreed with me ha ha. Thank you. We'll see. I admittedly don't have enough time to follow other teams extensively and schools like Glenbard West and Hinsdale Central are well coached and seem to reload every year, but I wouldn't speak up if I didn't think something was there.

Will just chime in that I've watched first hand a bunch of these Naz skill players through off-season events, and agree that Godfather that they are in for a huge resurgence over the next several years. Several terrific offensive and defensive skill players coming up. I don't know enough about their QB position the next year or two, but I know they've got an incoming freshman QB who's phenomenal.
If LT can coalesce as a team, they have the individual talents to win that conference this season. The issue is beating programs like GW who are a finely tuned machine as a team.

Hey Guido,

I hear there is a new sherif(QB1) in town at Boom and he's the Naperville North QB. Can you give us some additional details how this came about?

Hey Guido,

I hear there is a new sherif(QB1) in town at Boom and he's the Naperville North QB. Can you give us some additional details how this came about?

I suppose you are talking about Drake Davis. I'm not sure there's much to tell. He's been in the program a few years and is a solid QB. I'm told for whatever reason he's particularly good in the 7-on-7 setup.

I know I am being a homer, but I really really like Marist next year. With McCabe Ivy and Teague coming back along with a returning QB whether it be Taylor or Markett to pass to Skalitski and more. The RedHawks return a TON. Also don't forget about Meehan and Lawler returning in the secondary.

I know I am being a homer, but I really really like Marist next year. With McCabe Ivy and Teague coming back along with a returning QB whether it be Taylor or Markett to pass to Skalitski and more. The RedHawks return a TON. Also don't forget about Meehan and Lawler returning in the secondary.
You're in the wrong thread. Marist being real good would not be a surprise at all. Pretty much everyone has them as a top team in the area

Guys stop! IMG would beat every team in Illinois by 30. They are stacked and they are a powerhouse. Change the subject, please. LOL

Reactions: TPF523
I don't know who IMG is, and if they are not in IL I don't care. Maybe they would beat tOSU? God bless their little hearts. This forum is about IL HS football.

Reactions: Relist8
I watched a couple of those IMG games and they werent what theyre hyped up to be in this thread. That GA team was right with them most of the way. Part of their issue is they get flagged like every other play. Now I am not saying a team from IL beats them at all. What I am saying is that we tend to hype up anything out of state.

Reactions: Gene K.
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT