ADVERTISEMENT

Skipping Bowl Games

Stanford will get $2,150,000 regardless of how they play.

LSU will get $4,250,000 regardless of how they play.

Let's not forget the real reasons these games mean anything.

Memo to those sitting out the bowl games....Loyd's of London insurance policy - believe it can be set up with no NCAA violations. Once done - go play your final college game with your buddies and have fun!!!

Memo to those sitting out the bowl games....Loyd's of London insurance policy - believe it can be set up with no NCAA violations. Once done - go play your final college game with your buddies and have fun!!!

If the coaches don't need to stick around for bowl games when a better opportunity arises, neither do the players.

If the coaches don't need to stick around for bowl games when a better opportunity arises, neither do the players.

Boo Hiss to you both;)!!

I never said they didn't have "the right" obviously they do and I'm not suggesting anyone try to force them to play. That would be wrong and I would be absolutely opposed And aghast.

I was merely pointing out an alternate route that would protect the players on the monetary side (unfortunately not physically) that would provide a path for them to play with their "brothers" without risking a ton of the projected millions they could make in their rookie contract.

15 yard unsportsmanlike for the both of you!!;)

Reactions: stripes13
Lloyd's of London will write pretty much underwrite anything. Not a bad idea, if possible.

Part of me wishes these guys would play but part of me understands why they don't. Tough call.

I think its very soft minded to play a rough sport but worry about injury. So every contract year these two players are go to sit out to not risk injury. SMH

Example of a ball player is E. Elliot.

The premium of a multimillion, maybe even $100 million policy might be too much for the student athletes and their family. Going back to 1990 to get an idea of the price. Hank Gathers, basketball player at Loyola Marymount, had a policy for $1 million. The premium was $6,600. Sad thing about this policy, it did not include a death provision.

http://articles.latimes.com/1990-03-10/sports/sp-1844_1_disability-insurance-policies

I think its very soft minded to play a rough sport but worry about injury. So every contract year these two players are go to sit out to not risk injury. SMH

Example of a ball player is E. Elliot.

Apparently Lloyds caps the max payout at $4mm or $5mm which is a lot of money but not near what those two guys could earn just in initial contract. Anything outside of the playoff is nothing more than an exhibition game (with a lot of $ attached to it). Both of those players were dinged up at one point of the year (McCafferty missed 2 games). There is no more cautionary tale than Jaylon Smith from last year.

I get it fans want to see a good game, but, for a meaningless game? you are already dinged up? Why risk it?

At to Elliot and his statement that he would give anything to play one more game with his college teammates? Sure you would, that is exactly why you skipped your final year to go to the NFL so you could not play 12-14 more games with your college teammates.

Apparently Lloyds caps the max payout at $4mm or $5mm which is a lot of money but not near what those two guys could earn just in initial contract. Anything outside of the playoff is nothing more than an exhibition game (with a lot of $ attached to it). Both of those players were dinged up at one point of the year (McCafferty missed 2 games). There is no more cautionary tale than Jaylon Smith from last year.

I get it fans want to see a good game, but, for a meaningless game? you are already dinged up? Why risk it?

At to Elliot and his statement that he would give anything to play one more game with his college teammates? Sure you would, that is exactly why you skipped your final year to go to the NFL so you could not play 12-14 more games with your college teammates.

We are talking a bowl game and Jaylon still went first round right? The reason Elliot is successful because of how hard he worked. Keep in mind he put 150 on Alabama where Fournette hasn't come close to 100 in two games combined. Much different mentality in which I would take a Elliot over those two any day. They careers will most likely be similar to Clowny.

We are talking a bowl game and Jaylon still went first round right? The reason Elliot is successful because of how hard he worked. Keep in mind he put 150 on Alabama where Fournette hasn't come close to 100 in two games combined. Much different mentality in which I would take a Elliot over those two any day. They careers will most likely be similar to Clowny.

He was projected top 5 where he would have signed for $20mm and dropped, instead he signed for $4.45mm. the difference in what he signed for was $15mm+, serious money. Both of those guys worked just as hard as Elliot. its irrelevant to the discussion here how many yards they put on Alabama, its a simple economic question against an exhibition game, which is ALL anything but the playoff games are. Whether its a single game leaving early or a full season all three decided to leave early.

I don't blame those guys at all. I'm surprised it hadn't become an issue sooner.

With the 4 team playoff, the rest of the bowl games are pretty meaningless. Do you really want to risk millions of dolars so your team can be rated #5 instead of # 7?

I don't blame those guys at all. I'm surprised it hadn't become an issue sooner.

With the 4 team playoff, the rest of the bowl games are pretty meaningless. Do you really want to risk millions of dolars so your team can be rated #5 instead of # 7?

If that is the case, when do you stop playing due to the risk of injury? In reality, only about 10-15 teams have a chance at the beginning of the year to win a national championship. How many games should the draftable players of teams who are out of contention play? Just wondering when you draw the line and start sitting out so you u don't get hurt.

If that is the case, when do you stop playing due to the risk of injury? In reality, only about 10-15 teams have a chance at the beginning of the year to win a national championship. How many games should the draftable players of teams who are out of contention play? Just wondering when you draw the line and start sitting out so you u don't get hurt.

Well that is the thing, if they don't play a number of games, their stock drops. if you don't play the entire season, your stock will drop.

its situational as to when you should decide to "quit" and that is up the player themselves. if they are foolish enough to not play a season they forego the ability to increase their stock. Why say its OK for a JR for his entire SR season to leave but not a SR for a meaningless game? What about players who played for teams that did not make a bowl game at all but will go in the draft? should they be forced to play an extra game to make it "fair"? there are all kinds of variables, but, the basic question is the same. if Elliot can walk away from his SR season, these players can walk away from an exhibition game.

He was a second round pick.

He was projected top 5 where he would have signed for $20mm and dropped, instead he signed for $4.45mm. the difference in what he signed for was $15mm+, serious money. Both of those guys worked just as hard as Elliot. its irrelevant to the discussion here how many yards they put on Alabama, its a simple economic question against an exhibition game, which is ALL anything but the playoff games are. Whether its a single game leaving early or a full season all three decided to leave early.

I am simply pointing out that neither of them are top 5 draft picks so your point of reference is not legit. My point of the Alabama reference is to show that neither should be drafted higher than Elliot therefore what they maybe risking is not as significant.

yes they are. they are risking what their value will drop. McCafferty was projected between 10-18. so if he would be a 15 pick worth $12mm and he drops to 3rd round due to a knee blow out, now he is worth $2mm-$3mm max? that is $10mm which to him is a huge deal, he is risking just as much. Just like smith lost 75% of his value, McCafferty would lose 75% of his value.

Well that is the thing, if they don't play a number of games, their stock drops. if you don't play the entire season, your stock will drop.

its situational as to when you should decide to "quit" and that is up the player themselves. if they are foolish enough to not play a season they forego the ability to increase their stock. Why say its OK for a JR for his entire SR season to leave but not a SR for a meaningless game? What about players who played for teams that did not make a bowl game at all but will go in the draft? should they be forced to play an extra game to make it "fair"? there are all kinds of variables, but, the basic question is the same. if Elliot can walk away from his SR season, these players can walk away from an exhibition game.

I personal don't have an issue with them not playing but I feel the mentality is soft and if I am a GM I don't want a player like that. I want a competitor, not a kid who mentality is selfish before he is drafted. Both teams will be fine without them so its not about the bowl game itself. Coward move and mentality. Every time you touch the field you risk getting hurt. That's football.

yes they are. they are risking what their value will drop. McCafferty was projected between 10-18. so if he would be a 15 pick worth $12mm and he drops to 3rd round due to a knee blow out, now he is worth $2mm-$3mm max? that is $10mm which to him is a huge deal, he is risking just as much. Just like smith lost 75% of his value, McCafferty would lose 75% of his value.

McCafferty will be lucky to go first round. The projections are hype and not reality. This move just lowered his stock as he has now identified hisself as a hold out for contract when the time come. Same as Fournette.

very famous quote written by Peter Gent, former player in Dallas, who wrote North Dallas 40. to the team owner and GM "overtime I say its a business, you say its a game, every time I say its a game you say its a business"

these two are making a business decision on their health and potential future, if they choose wrong they will lose money. they are chasing this route. in a league where 50% of the GMs will sign a wife beating serial DUI offender "if he can play" they will draft these 2.

very famous quote written by Peter Gent, former player in Dallas, who wrote North Dallas 40. to the team owner and GM "overtime I say its a business, you say its a game, every time I say its a game you say its a business"

these two are making a business decision on their health and potential future, if they choose wrong they will lose money. they are chasing this route. in a league where 50% of the GMs will sign a wife beating serial DUI offender "if he can play" they will draft these 2.

They absolutely will get drafted by somebody.

Reactions: Cross Bones
pjjp,

I saw this and think it's bad. I saw the comparisons to coaches leaving but doesn't he have a commitment to his team and team mates?
It's a tough call. From what I've read, both McCaffrey's and Fournette's teammates support them. I would be disappointed if I was a teammate of either. You have to believe each not playing hurts Stanford's and LSU's respective chances. However, this is big-time college athletics. It's all about money. Each of these institutions have made a fair amount of money on their football programs. Yes, McCaffrey and Fournette both received athletic and academic opportunities, but I tend to side with the players. Each has had an injury-plagued year. And RB is a high risk position for injury. While it's true they are putting their future pro careers ahead of any commitment they've made to their college teams, I can't condemn them for that. Also, I do think any coaches who would criticize them for doing so are being hypocritical. Coaches bail on teams for a better opportunity at the expense of their current team's fortunes.

Im torn on it. On one hand I agree with @Simon "GHOST' Riley that they should play for the guy next to them at the very least. On the other hand the risk of injury is real and they have big paydays coming up which could mean the world of difference for not only them but their families. Plus where does it stop? Will they not want to play when they get drafted? What if your NFL team is 2-6 are you gonna shut it down? Do you want a guy on your team who may decide not to play one day because he has a big contract coming next year?

Cant decide

Im torn on it. On one hand I agree with @Simon "GHOST' Riley that they should play for the guy next to them at the very least. On the other hand the risk of injury is real and they have big paydays coming up which could mean the world of difference for not only them but their families. Plus where does it stop? Will they not want to play when they get drafted? What if your NFL team is 2-6 are you gonna shut it down? Do you want a guy on your team who may decide not to play one day because he has a big contract coming next year?

Cant decide
The difference with the NFL example of course being they signed a contract that is still valid and paying them, even if a bigger payday awaits. Now I guess technically the NCAA players do have a contract they've signed, but its definitely a different situation. I agree though, that I do have mixed feelings on the matter, and I'm not sure where these players should draw the line, particularly if they are banged up.

Reactions: Cross Bones
The difference with the NFL example of course being they signed a contract that is still valid and paying them, even if a bigger payday awaits. Now I guess technically the NCAA players do have a contract they've signed, but its definitely a different situation. I agree though, that I do have mixed feelings on the matter, and I'm not sure where these players should draw the line, particularly if they are banged up.

If you are banged up then I wouldn't play. I think that is a totally different scenario then not playing because of the risk. What I also find interesting is people bringing up coaches as if they are refusing to coach because of the potential of another job. You are talking apples and oranges unless the draft was before the bowl and kids are asked to play AFTER being drafted. My issue is the mentality behind the action.

pjjp,

I saw this and think it's bad. I saw the comparisons to coaches leaving but doesn't he have a commitment to his team and team mates?

Question
If they were in the National Championship game would they still sit out? I say no they would want the exposure to increase their stock. They would also want a Championship ring.
Let's face it their are so many bowl games they are diluted to the point you now have players sitting out not really caring if they play.
Sad reality of the times. This is like everything else
in today's world. Players would never even think about sitting out 5-10 years ago. The younger generation always wants to take the easy way or short cut. Just saying!

Can't blame them but don't like this trend at all. Play the game!

Not all high draft picks make it long in the NFL, the players could be skipping out of their most memorial game ever -- in the bowl game.

Last edited:
Lloyd's of London will write pretty much underwrite anything. Not a bad idea, if possible.

Part of me wishes these guys would play but part of me understands why they don't. Tough call.

Yup, the fan in me wants to see them play but them not playing is totally understandable and I support it.

Seems to be a fairly hot topic after Stanford's Christian McCaffrey and LSU's Leonard Fournette decided to skip their respective bowl games to prepare for the NFL draft. Thoughts?

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sport...stian-mccaffrey-spt-1221-20161220-column.html
Nick Saban seems to have a pretty good grasp of the issue:
"I will say this, I think when we created the playoff, which all of you wanted to do and all of you wanted to make it four teams. And now all of you want to make it eight teams and pretty soon all of you guys are going to want to make it 16 teams. And the only focus is on the playoff.
But when we all started this, however many years ago it was, I said that you’re going to diminish the importance of other bowl games in college football, alright? Which has happened. That has happened. All anyone talks about is the playoff. Alright, we have a bunch of other bowl games that people don’t think are all that important so if you don’t think it’s important, all of the sudden some players don’t think it’s important. So you can’t really blame the players. We created this, OK? We created this.
It used to be to go to the Rose Bowl — when you played in the Big Ten that was the ultimate of any experience that you could ever have. If you played in the SEC, going to the Sugar Bowl was that same thing. If you played in the Big 12, it was going to the Orange Bowl. So those things don’t exist anymore. We have a playoff, everyone’s interested in the playoff, no one is interested in anything else.
So now that that’s trickled down to the players, how can you blame the players for that? I can’t blame the players for that. I think what every player has to decided — and I would say every player — is I think every player probably benefits from playing really, really well. So I think when you play in big games and you play really, really well, I think that enhances your value as a player. That’s what I think. Now every player would have to make the decision between is that more important relative to protecting yourself. And I think that’s every player’s choice and I think that’s every player’s decision and I don’t know that there’s much more to say about it than that."

Bowl games lost their importance when every .500 team started to make them. Now that they need 5-7 teams to fill out the games it is even more pathetic. College playoff has nothing to do with that.

Reactions: 89morrisgrad
Nick Saban seems to have a pretty good grasp of the issue:
"I will say this, I think when we created the playoff, which all of you wanted to do and all of you wanted to make it four teams. And now all of you want to make it eight teams and pretty soon all of you guys are going to want to make it 16 teams. And the only focus is on the playoff.
But when we all started this, however many years ago it was, I said that you’re going to diminish the importance of other bowl games in college football, alright? Which has happened. That has happened. All anyone talks about is the playoff. Alright, we have a bunch of other bowl games that people don’t think are all that important so if you don’t think it’s important, all of the sudden some players don’t think it’s important. So you can’t really blame the players. We created this, OK? We created this.
It used to be to go to the Rose Bowl — when you played in the Big Ten that was the ultimate of any experience that you could ever have. If you played in the SEC, going to the Sugar Bowl was that same thing. If you played in the Big 12, it was going to the Orange Bowl. So those things don’t exist anymore. We have a playoff, everyone’s interested in the playoff, no one is interested in anything else.
So now that that’s trickled down to the players, how can you blame the players for that? I can’t blame the players for that. I think what every player has to decided — and I would say every player — is I think every player probably benefits from playing really, really well. So I think when you play in big games and you play really, really well, I think that enhances your value as a player. That’s what I think. Now every player would have to make the decision between is that more important relative to protecting yourself. And I think that’s every player’s choice and I think that’s every player’s decision and I don’t know that there’s much more to say about it than that."

Nick Saban
Is in the National Championship game almost every year. That's an easy sell to a kid even if going to the next level.

Reactions: 89morrisgrad
Bowl games lost their importance when every .500 team started to make them. Now that they need 5-7 teams to fill out the games it is even more pathetic. College playoff has nothing to do with that.

If your a kid playing in college it should still mean something. It quite possibly be the biggest stage of their career.

If you are banged up then I wouldn't play. I think that is a totally different scenario then not playing because of the risk. What I also find interesting is people bringing up coaches as if they are refusing to coach because of the potential of another job. You are talking apples and oranges unless the draft was before the bowl and kids are asked to play AFTER being drafted. My issue is the mentality behind the action.
Well the players may not have an official new job, but with how long bowl season is, they could get a serious head start on preparing themselves for the next stage by cutting ties with their NCAA obligations.

So your speaking for Nick Saban? I don't see any of his players sitting out? Wonder why?

Nick only disagrees with College playoff not having anything to do with players sitting out. Nick runs a different type ship where its Alabama first NFL second.

What I also find interesting is people bringing up coaches as if they are refusing to coach because of the potential of another job. You are talking apples and oranges unless the draft was before the bowl and kids are asked to play AFTER being drafted.
While the situations are not exactly the same between players and coaches, there are similarities. Coaches make commitments to schools and their players, which they routinely break for better opportunities (other jobs). Many coaches have walked on bowl games in the past after committing to another job. For these same coaches to question players' loyalty or dedication to their teammates and schools is a bit disingenuous, IMO. And this is not meant to be overly critical of coaches. They have to jump when an opportunity presents itself.

While the situations are not exactly the same between players and coaches, there are similarities. Coaches make commitments to schools and their players, which they routinely break for better opportunities (other jobs). Many coaches have walked on bowl games in the past after committing to another job. For these same coaches to question players' loyalty or dedication to their teammates and schools is a bit disingenuous, IMO. And this is not meant to be overly critical of coaches. They have to jump when an opportunity presents itself.
Here's the only similarity that matters: coaches leave before bowl gamesbc they are getting more money. Players are skipping bowl games for the chance to make money.

The only difference is prior to each making the decision only one of them was getting paid.

Somehow public opinion always go against the player.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT