ADVERTISEMENT

Shouldn't schools other than Rochester get bashed about the success factor?

If a split happened ihsa would have no regulation over privates recruiting and with all shine of public league kids who may have played at public HS may decide they now prefer private option. That's how.

That doesn't change at all from the current system...

Plus, this would kill the non football private school sports

That doesn't change at all from the current system...

Plus, this would kill the non football private school sports

You have no idea what the recruiting and scholarship changes would look like if privates had own governing body... I grew up a public kid and what all publics perceive to happen at privates is sooo exaggerated it's not funny... and what it would kill is the IHSA... it would exist but no one would care.... you think people wouldn't care about st Rita/ mt carmel/nazareth/ montini/st Laurence etc private baseball championships etc.... you're mistaken.

Reactions: Gene K.
Public or private, all I care about are boundaries. Our school fields a team from a population within a designated zone, that’s it. Play with what you are given and best team wins. If you’re from one zone and choose to pay to play in another zone, that’s college to me not high school.

And just how will they load up on the talent???
Presumably the private division would not ban recruiting or scholarships...then they can recruit the Phillips kids...

What is happening here? A different analysis seems to occur downstate than in Chicago. Why? Public league schools have less history and success than the private schools. Therefore, the public league schools don't complain. They just recruit for basketball...

Meanwhile, downstate the private powers can wreck entire athletic programs at their opponents. how, you ask? A neighboring public school district (1A football in size) doesn't play football or have a coop. A class in junior high goes to state in baseball & basketball behind a stud I'll call "Jay", who also places at state in 3 track events. But Jay wants to play football, so he goes to the private school. They don't have to recruit...Ends up as a 6'6" 230 tight end who gets a D1 scholarship to a big school. Averages 20 ppg in basketball, all-state...Meanwhile the small school goes 2-23 in basketball...And hates the private school forever...But not because of football. (Jay, by the way, lines up next to a 6'6", 275 tackle/all state wrestler who goes to Michigan who is from the town over that also doesn't have football or wrestling).

A private school who does this with 3 or 4 opponents every year will be hated by the local schools...who don't care about football success ratios...With kids who have no choice if they want to play football but to go there. The success ratio might more appropriately be placed on their other programs...

Public or private, all I care about are boundaries. Our school fields a team from a population within a designated zone, that’s it. Play with what you are given and best team wins. If you’re from one zone and choose to pay to play in another zone, that’s college to me not high school.

That's great if that's what happens at your public school.... way i grew up in a small town too.... but most of the top public programs are not operating within the spirit of that rule whether it be outright commuting with a relative or friends address listed or "moving in" by renting the cheapest studio apartment in the boundary but not really living in it or even some apartment buildings owned by a friend of the program with special rates. Happens in other sports too like wrestling.... fun seeing a kid go to college and on roster gives abc as his high school and xyz as his town.

By creating their own rules with no ihsa oversite. Transfer in from a public and play immediately, no year off. Create a scholarship system. The list is endless. They would be picking off the players from public schools all day long.

Yup! Would be a massive talent suck in the Chicagoland area and Springfield area with scholarships, immediate play transfers etc. Less so in the more rural areas (not enough privates and long long distances).

Most of the private schools can barely keep the doors open, now they are going to have $750K to offer 50 scholarships??

Reactions: 89morrisgrad
Most of the private schools can barely keep the doors open, now they are going to have $750K to offer 50 scholarships??
Come on BBC - the boosters would come out of the woodwork. As sorry as I am to say this - they would give multi million dollar scholarship funds for athletics, but would walk away from a building fund. That's a commentary on our society by the way, not on private schools.

Come on BBC - the boosters would come out of the woodwork. As sorry as I am to say this - they would give multi million dollar scholarship funds for athletics, but would walk away from a building fund. That's a commentary on our society by the way, not on private schools.

At some schools yes, but most no.. the divide between the haves and have nots would destroy any such private school association

Yup! Would be a massive talent suck in the Chicagoland area and Springfield area with scholarships, immediate play transfers etc. Less so in the more rural areas (not enough privates and long long distances).
Exactly right voodoo. This is not academic - look at California, Jersey and Vegas. Its happening already. How many times are we channel surfing and we run across national high school football. The majority of the times its Catholic schools because they have the studs for the reasons stated above.

At some schools yes, but most no.. the divide between the haves and have nots would destroy any such private school association
I'm sorry I don't agree with that. They would find a way around it. Maybe different divisions such as in college? Similar to D1, D2 and such. I don't know. I am pretty sure it would devastate the public school athletic programs even more though. What would the public schools offer the studs?

Exactly right voodoo. This is not academic - look at California, Jersey and Vegas. Its happening already. How many times are we channel surfing and we run across national high school football. The majority of the times its Catholic schools because they have the studs for the reasons stated above.

And its the same couple of schools... in Illinois would be the same, the CCL Blue and a few ESCC schools...6-10 would excel.. how about the other 50?

I'm sorry I don't agree with that. They would find a way around it. Maybe different divisions such as in college? Similar to D1, D2 and such. I don't know. I am pretty sure it would devastate the public school athletic programs even more though. What would the public schools offer the studs?

CCL can't even get a 6th team to join the Blue, now you think this will work?

Whats this do for non football sports????

And its the same couple of schools... in Illinois would be the same, the CCL Blue and a few ESCC schools...6-10 would excel.. how about the other 50?
It's only the same schools that get the national notoriety. They are not the only schools that are athletically successful. Let the large divisions hammer each other and create the exposure and interest, raise the money through national ads, tv and other marketing revenue and share the proceeds with the smaller division schools. It is not an unreasonable business model . Look at the NFL and the college system.

You really think there will be millions of TV dollars floating around each year???? LOL

Absolutely. But the key is most of those schools are in densely populated areas. Bishop Gorman sucks the talent from the Vegas Metro Area and even into LA (some high profile parents move their kids to Vegas to attend - Snoop Dog for one example). Also the Vegas public schools are not good so there is not a lot of good public choices for families that are highly focused on academics.

If it was no holds barred in Chicagoland it would be ugly and there would be about 10-12 teams each carving out an area of Chicagoland and dominating (except against each other) and everyone would be focused on those power teams in the playoffs.

Reactions: Gene K.
CCL can't even get a 6th team to join the Blue, now you think this will work?

Whats this do for non football sports????

It's fun conjecture at this point but if you push these AD's enough and they begin to feel the system is ginned up against them, these conversations will begin to take shape.

You really think there will be millions of TV dollars floating around each year???? LOL

You must not have read that LA just announced the ground breaking on a new natatorium next year followed by a stand alone performing arts center. Yes, the money is there. One need only to find a reason for donors to want to part with it. Do you know how many huge car dealers are LA alumni? Along with the private equity guys? How about the owner of the Colts or Blackhawks? Same goes for the other private schools. If the system allowed it - its a phone call away.

Reactions: LAguy
It's fun conjecture at this point but if you push these AD's enough and they begin to feel the system is ginned up against them, these conversations will begin to take shape.

I’m sure they could have 3 divisions for playoffs.

Get all the AC’s and ICCPs into one group. The Nazs and Montinis and Benets into another and the Marist/Loyola/BR’s into another.

I bet you might see some of the public schools move into that system if they were “accepted” and could operate under the no hold barred private rules.

You must not have read that LA just announced the ground breaking on a new natatorium next year followed by a stand alone performing arts center. Yes, the money is there. One need only to find a reason for donors to want to part with it. Do you know how many huge car dealers are LA alumni? Along with the private equity guys? How about the owner of the Colts or Blackhawks? Same goes for the other private schools. If the system allowed it - its a phone call away.

And how about the result to schools such as Aurora Christian, Bishop Mac, Chicago Christian etc???

If it was the no brainer that some of you guys claim, it would have been done already..

And how about the result to schools such as Aurora Christian, Bishop Mac, Chicago Christian etc???

If it was the no brainer that some of you guys claim, it would have been done already..
Change is painful at times my friend. When necessary though, it will happen.

I’m sure they could have 3 divisions for playoffs.

Get all the AC’s and ICCPs into one group. The Nazs and Montinis and Benets into another and the Marist/Loyola/BR’s into another.

I bet you might see some of the public schools move into that system if they were “accepted” and could operate under the no hold barred private rules.

As for your last statement, there is no way a public school would join that train wreck..

The CCL is one of the most dysfunctional conferences in the state, a merger with the ESCC was a disaster.. any system like you guys are wanting simply will not work and the people that runs these schools know it.. the private schools need the IHSA more than the IHSA needs the private schools..

Dysfunctional as opposed to the IHSA? The CCL has been around since the early 1900’s. Dysfunctional leagues aren’t successful for over a century.

Last edited:
Dysfunctional as opposed to the IHSA? The CCL has been around since the early 1900’s. Dysfunctional leagues aren’t successful for over a decade.

Look at the turnover... next year alone 3 members are leaving.. do any of the divisions even have the 6 needed teams?

As for your last statement, there is no way a public school would join that train wreck..

The CCL is one of the most dysfunctional conferences in the state, a merger with the ESCC was a disaster.. any system like you guys are wanting simply will not work and the people that runs these schools know it.. the private schools need the IHSA more than the IHSA needs the private schools..

Not sure about that - but obviously this is purely hypothetical so there is no way to say for sure one way or the other.

Competition level is a big thing for some schools.

Some publics are already destinations via the current rules. (Quite a few high profile “transfers” or physical address moves by multiple players in the last 12 months).

You can’t see a Maine South for example at least thinking about it?

What about a Glenbard West? All the Glenbards are in different conferences anyways.

IHSA is optional for the schools. Once they opt in - they are beholden to its rules. If they opt out -and then opt into another Body - they would then be beholden to another governing bodies rules.

Last edited:
Not sure about that - but obviously this is purely hypothetical so there is no way to say for sure one way or the other.

Some publics are already destinations via the current rules. (Quite a few high profile “transfers” or physical address moves by multiple players in the last 12 months).

What about a Glenbard West? All the Glenbards are in different conferences anyways. IHSA is optional for the schools. Once they opt in - they are beholden to its rules. If they opt out -and then opt into another Body - they would then be beholden to another governing bodies rules.

No chance, these schools have entire athletic department to think about, not just football.. you guys are thinking like football fans, not stepping back and looking at the entire picture..

Look at the turnover... next year alone 3 members are leaving.. do any of the divisions even have the 6 needed teams?

Those teams are hopping around looking for 5 wins just like public schools. That's not abnormal dysfunction. How about the DVC, that's going to be defunct.

What about a Glenbard West? All the Glenbards are in different conferences anyways.

IHSA is optional for the schools. Once they opt in - they are beholden to its rules. If they opt out -and then opt into another Body - they would then be beholden to another governing bodies rules.

Similar but opposite of Texas.... there privates can opt into the public league but are then required to play in the largest class available regardless of size... 2 schools do so.... Dallas Jesuit and Strake Jesuit (of Houston).

1.65 is fine for the private schools fans that enjoy their advantage...

Another possible step... keep 1.65, cut radius from 30 miles to 15 miles...

One problem with this would be that it could potentially wreck some private schools enrollment wise. In my school I’d say at least 50% of students would be outside of the 15 mile radius. (My self included) I’m sure it’s like that at plenty of other schools as well.

When the state starts giving these $7.5k tax grants the private schools will start getting much much more talent.

General question but can the ihsa be held liable for any injuries for making Nazareth a school with roughly 750 students play up numerous classes to 7a with schools that have upwards of 2300 students. There's probably more boys per class than Nazareth has in the entire school. If I were the IHSA I wouldn't find out.

General question but can the ihsa be held liable for any injuries for making Nazareth a school with roughly 750 students play up numerous classes to 7a with schools that have upwards of 2300 students. There's probably more boys per class than Nazareth has in the entire school. If I were the IHSA I wouldn't find out.
Probably not because the IHSA is not a governmental body and has no punitive taxing or other such authority unless you voluntarily join it. As such, if you don’t want to move up, you have the option of opting out of the IHSA and not competing.

Probably not because the IHSA is not a governmental body and has no punitive taxing or other such authority unless you voluntarily join it. As such, if you don’t want to move up, you have the option of opting out of the IHSA and not competing.
I talked to lots of Naz people the past week+ at Provi and Dekalb, they are all excited about the move to 7a, I don’t think anyone at Naz cares where they put em. That said it’s pretty ridiculous they lose and get forced up to 7a. Actually it’s completely ridiculous. Naz will be up for at least two years. Let’s say they don’t win next year or even go to state title, in 2019 they will be in 7a based off what kids, who will have graduated college (2014 team), accomplished. Naz isn’t Mt Carmel, yes they’ve been good the last few years but this is what it’s come to? Instead of allowing dynasties to happen (short term dynasties) we are moving teams up based off 2 good years in a row? Absurd. Congrats IHSA! Now if you can just find a way to annex IC you’ll have basically accomplished your goal. Soft ass culture. NJ prep model is looking more enticing by the day. I don’t know what the future holds nor do I know what kind of rules privates would implement IF there was a split but be careful what you wish for publics.

I talked to lots of Naz people the past week+ at Provi and Dekalb, they are all excited about the move to 7a, I don’t think anyone at Naz cares where they put em. That said it’s pretty ridiculous they lose and get forced up to 7a. Actually it’s completely ridiculous. Naz will be up for at least two years. Let’s say they don’t win next year or even go to state title, in 2019 they will be in 7a based off what kids, who will have graduated college (2014 team), accomplished. Naz isn’t Mt Carmel, yes they’ve been good the last few years but this is what it’s come to? Instead of allowing dynasties to happen (short term dynasties) we are moving teams up based off 2 good years in a row? Absurd. Congrats IHSA! Now if you can just find a way to annex IC you’ll have basically accomplished your goal. Soft ass culture. NJ prep model is looking more enticing by the day. I don’t know what the future holds nor do I know what kind of rules privates would implement IF there was a split but be careful what you wish for publics.
No. The IHSA is okay with dynasties. You just have to be the "right" type of school (ie.....Rochester).

Here’s the New Jersey model.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_Jersey_State_Interscholastic_Athletic_Association

All transfers are eligible for the full season if they transfer before the start of their Sophomore year. After that they are ineligible for postseason play. if a transfer is for a residency move (which is the reasoning many give), maybe have random investigation or better yet list all addresses once you enroll Freshman year.

All transfers are eligible for the full season if they transfer before the start of their Sophomore year. After that they are ineligible for postseason play. if a transfer is for a residency move (which is the reasoning many give), maybe have random investigation or better yet list all addresses once you enroll Freshman year.
Your first statement isn’t true. Naz DL Lee sat out his whole Soph season after transferring from St Joe’s.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT