ADVERTISEMENT

Shouldn't schools other than Rochester get bashed about the success factor?

PanthersWildcats86

Oct 12, 2017
Sure, Rochester has won two in a row, 7 in 8 years, but other public schools have made the finals enough times for the success factor to apply...Maroa, for example, has 7 appearances in the title game since 2006, two straight runner-ups, 3 in 4 years...2014 10-4 in title game...

Reactions: vfl05
Success factor is simply a way to tier the open boundary schools even further, was an alternative to increasing the multiplier across the board.. it was the mid tier open enrollment schools that pushed for it..

Move them into the open class (football only).

First round games:
Maroa vs Marist.
Forreston vs LWE.
Rochester vs Loyola.

Loyola is a private school and is exempt from the success factor. Does that make sense??

Success factor is simply a way to tier the open boundary schools even further, was an alternative to increasing the multiplier across the board.. it was the mid tier open enrollment schools that pushed for it..
The fact that you find the above comment as a justifiable reason for the success factor being selectively applied is laughable.

Reactions: jwarigaku
The fact that you find the above comment as a justifiable reason for the success factor being selectively applied is laughable.

I agree, I say do away with the SF and increase multiplier to somewhere between 2.5-3.0 for ALL open enrollment schools and eliminate the waiver.. lets treat them all the same..

I agree, I say do away with the SF and increase multiplier to somewhere between 2.5-3.0 for ALL open enrollment schools and eliminate the waiver.. lets treat them all the same..

All.... Don't forget separate water fountains that everyone knows would delight you to no end as well. Have a nice evening. On to a 7A party. Ratsy

Loyola is a private school and is exempt from the success factor. Does that make sense??

Yes I have said that and wondered that as well. If I were a 4A-6A private school I would be somewhat frustrated with being treated differently than the 8A privates Marist/LA etc. those schools are as high as you can go from classification perspective.

What I would like to see (something along the lines of Stone Lizards open class) is all privates and publics with significant success get moved to open enrollment class.

Yes I have said that and wondered that as well. If I were a 4A-6A private school I would be somewhat frustrated with being treated differently than the 8A privates Marist/LA etc. those schools are as high as you can go from classification perspective.

What I would like to see (something along the lines of Stone Lizards open class) is all privates and publics with significant success get moved to open enrollment class.

So then Rochester could expand their boundary to 30 miles?

There is something fundamentally wrong with punishing an individual, school, team, etc., for being successful. Applying a multiplier was supposed to address the boundaried/non-boundaried issue, and if that needed to be tweaked, then fine. But to tell a program that they are being punished for being successful says more about the institution delivering the punishment than it does the recipient.

Perhaps Rochester is all about Derek Leonard. Remove him and they return to an average farm town football program.

Reactions: 89morrisgrad
Should they go up to 9a?
I don’t see how you can penalize a team already in the top division.
With that said I do agree that Success Factor should apply equally across public and private.

I'm not complaining about Loyola. I just think the success factor is stupid.

I'm complaining. Nazareth is a 5A team playing in 6A, falls in the title game, and now must play in 7A, despite not having won a title in now over two years.

Reactions: Cat Box and Gene K.

2.5-3 is ridiculous. Every 4/5a school would end up in the uncapped enrollment 8a class. No private (except the ones that are already there: Loyola, etc) should ever have to play above 7a. 8a is uncapped and privates with 6-700 kids would never compete there!

2.5-3 is ridiculous. Every 4/5a school would end up in the uncapped enrollment 8a class. No private (except the ones that are already there: Loyola, etc) should ever have to play above 7a. 8a is uncapped and privates with 6-700 kids would never compete there!

Ok, then 2.5 seems fine

1.65 is fine for the private schools fans that enjoy their advantage...

Another possible step... keep 1.65, cut radius from 30 miles to 15 miles...

Your ridiculous. How about we just leave the IHSA for playoffs and have our own Midwestern States Private School playoffs.

1.65 is fine for the private schools fans that enjoy their advantage...

Another possible step... keep 1.65, cut radius from 30 miles to 15 miles...

2.0 would be the fair happy medium number. And cutting radius may just make certain schools better.... make the rich richer so to speak. Would force a kid to stay at a top school within 15 miles instead of going to a more average program where they have better chance a playing time... could end up being an unintended consequence.

Reactions: PanthersWildcats86
School choice, public or private is the best route to go. We don't need anymore anti-choice legislation. The power needs to be with the people and the parents.

If you can't get it in Illinois then it's time to move to another state.

Your ridiculous. How about we just leave the IHSA for playoffs and have our own Midwestern States Private School playoffs.

Leave the IHSA, that's fine... but you have to take all your other sports with you..

What I said wasn't ridiculous at all, makes perfect sense..

School choice, public or private is the best route to go. We don't need anymore anti-choice legislation. The power needs to be with the people and the parents.

If you can't get it in Illinois then it's time to move to another state.

Nobody is restricting your choice, you are free to move to within 15 miles of whatever private school you choose..

Leave the IHSA, that's fine... but you have to take all your other sports with you..

What I said wasn't ridiculous at all, makes perfect sense..

Talk about unintended consequences... worst thing that could happens to ihsa public football!!! In a state such as Texas where all of the tradition is with the big powerhouse public programs the split is fine.... all of the prestige is with the public championships and the private championships are second fiddle with little fan fare.... illinois would be more like New Jersey but much worse.... if you know much about national HS football you can name a few Nj powerhouses such as Bergen catholic or don bosco... tell me who the Nj public powers are???? Same would happen here... all of the prestige would follow the private championships and everyone would talk about loyola, mount carmel, montini, naz, etc.... the shine would be off of the public champions completely! If you want the ihsa public leagues to be a second fiddle affair go ahead and push for separation!

Talk about unintended consequences... worst thing that could happens to ihsa public football!!! In a state such as Texas where all of the tradition is with the big powerhouse public programs the split is fine.... all of the prestige is with the public championships and the private championships are second fiddle with little fan fare.... illinois would be more like New Jersey but much worse.... if you know much about national HS football you can name a few Nj powerhouses such as Bergen catholic or don bosco... tell me who the Nj public powers are???? Same would happen here... all of the prestige would follow the private championships and everyone would talk about loyola, mount carmel, montini, naz, etc.... the shine would be off of the public champions completely! If you want the ihsa public leagues to be a second fiddle affair go ahead and push for separation!

I don’t ever want to see a split. But if one did happen - how about a plus one game - the champions of the privates play the champions of the publics the weekend after Thanksgiving!!

If you are truly worried about anyone being second fiddle then you obviously have no time or concerns for anything below the top class. In your terms, a team such as Naz or Montini winning a 5 A title should be almost an embarrassment. Certainly not first fiddle stuff.

Well 7 of the 8 champions this past week would have been playing in the public tournament...

I have yet to meet a public school coach who doesn't think public schools should be success factored up. When a small school has success they benefit from move ins whether they be in high school or junior high specifically for sports. There by skewing the talent numbers they should have for their level. But if the worst thing that comes out of this is Herscher never winning, I guess all is well.

[QUOTE="mc140, post: But if the worst thing that comes out of this is Herscher never winning, I guess all is well.[/QUOTE]

Never heard of Herscher before. Are they a grammar school? What state are they from?

Reactions: Voodoo Tatum 21
I have yet to meet a public school coach who doesn't think public schools should be success factored up. When a small school has success they benefit from move ins whether they be in high school or junior high specifically for sports. There by skewing the talent numbers they should have for their level. But if the worst thing that comes out of this is Herscher never winning, I guess all is well.

We are a pretty good small school athletic program and I can name on one hand the kids we have had move in for athletic reasons in the last 25 years.. so lets not overstate things

Totally agree. The IHSA public school playoffs would become persona non grata. The private schools would load up with all the talent to compete against one another, play national teams, negotiate tv deals and completely minimize the public schools. Believe me HHS, it would be ugly.

Well 7 of the 8 champions this past week would have been playing in the public tournament...
Exactly. Look at the Naz point above. A 5a school possibly going to 7a only because of the “success factor” . Keep them in 5a and let’s see what happens.Patently unfair and complete bs. A team is good so let’s penalize them to help the have nots.

Reactions: Gene K.
Totally agree. The IHSA public school playoffs would become persona non grata. The private schools would load up with all the talent to compete against one another, play national teams, negotiate tv deals and completely minimize the public schools. Believe me HHS, it would be ugly.

And just how will they load up on the talent???

If you are truly worried about anyone being second fiddle then you obviously have no time or concerns for anything below the top class. In your terms, a team such as Naz or Montini winning a 5 A title should be almost an embarrassment. Certainly not first fiddle stuff.

I'm a private guy... don't want a split... was just responding to someone public who does want a split

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT