ADVERTISEMENT

should Homewood-Flossmoor be #1 in the state?

Cross Bones

Gold Member
Aug 20, 2001
Over on the Edgy Nation I was putting my thoughts to keyboard and I said I was good with Nazareth being #2, if not #1. Then as I looked at this past week's results along with the results of the 1st two weeks I realized that I may have incorrect in my placement of LWE & Naz at #1 & #2 in whichever order.

Mike Clark, whom has been covering football since I can remember, called Michigan City the best team in NW Indiana. And we all know out of state teams are better than in-state teams, that's why they're out of state. What does H-F do? Goes on the long trek by horse (once they hit the Indiana border since Indiana is basically back in time) and defeats Michigan City, which is so good they are a whole state in one town.

Then, what do the Vikings do for a follow up? They drive 5 hours south to East St. Louis to face a top team from Missouri, and once again we know that out of state teams are better than Illinois teams. This particular opponent, Lutheran North, boasts several Power 5 recruits including 2 4* and 3 3* recruits and 11 players in the rivals database. That's like having Aaron Bailey, Dale Martin, Deshaun Mallory, Robbie Bain, and Jacob Huff all on the same team with other stars. The Vikings just go out and dominate beating them by 20 which is more than my prior #1 (or 2) Naz beat them by.

Week 3? All they do is win 46-0. For those of us familiar with H-F football, we know they aren't exactly known for defense. However, these last two weeks have them looking like the Steel Curtain.

You won't see a bunch of stars next to these H-F players names on recruiting sites, but you will see a bunch of W's in the win column from playing smart fundamentally sound football. So, I ask, should Homewood-Flossmoor be the state's #1 team?

No

Over on the Edgy Nation I was putting my thoughts to keyboard and I said I was good with Nazareth being #2, if not #1. Then as I looked at this past week's results along with the results of the 1st two weeks I realized that I may have incorrect in my placement of LWE & Naz at #1 & #2 in whichever order.

Mike Clark, whom has been covering football since I can remember, called Michigan City the best team in NW Indiana. And we all know out of state teams are better than in-state teams, that's why they're out of state. What does H-F do? Goes on the long trek by horse (once they hit the Indiana border since Indiana is basically back in time) and defeats Michigan City, which is so good they are a whole state in one town.

Then, what do the Vikings do for a follow up? They drive 5 hours south to East St. Louis to face a top team from Missouri, and once again we know that out of state teams are better than Illinois teams. This particular opponent, Lutheran North, boasts several Power 5 recruits including 2 4* and 3 3* recruits and 11 players in the rivals database. That's like having Aaron Bailey, Dale Martin, Deshaun Mallory, Robbie Bain, and Jacob Huff all on the same team with other stars. The Vikings just go out and dominate beating them by 20 which is more than my prior #1 (or 2) Naz beat them by.

Week 3? All they do is win 46-0. For those of us familiar with H-F football, we know they aren't exactly known for defense. However, these last two weeks have them looking like the Steel Curtain.

You won't see a bunch of stars next to these H-F players names on recruiting sites, but you will see a bunch of W's in the win column from playing smart fundamentally sound football. So, I ask, should Homewood-Flossmoor be the state's #1 team?

Hmmm....great question bones. With 3 weeks of football to compare and looking at Edgys top 5 (waiting for Soucie’s top 5 to compare and contrast) I would say HF #2 at the most. The king remains the king until dethroned. So can’t just yet give nudge to Vikes over Grifs just yet. Let’s see how the HF/Brook game pans out.

Hmmm....great question bones. With 3 weeks of football to compare and looking at Edgys top 5 (waiting for Soucie’s top 5 to compare and contrast) I would say HF #2 at the most. The king remains the king until dethroned. So can’t just yet give nudge to Vikes over Grifs just yet. Let’s see how the HF/Brook game pans out.
Of course September 28th will provide more details on who the king should be!

I am torn:

Yes - so Goldendomer and IG88 return

No - because they first have to knock off the defending champs (LWE) before earning the #1 ranking. I think #2 or #3 is probably about the right spot for them at this point. SWSC having both the #1 and #2 teams in the ranking? Would the CCL Blue Guys have a heart attack with that poll?;)

Reactions: PRokie
Reconsider?

Normally, I would subscribe to the king being the king until they are knocked off. However, the King's schedule thus far hasn't panned out. What is impressive to me is H-F taking OOS teams that are better by definition and beating them lifeless in their own backyards. That's gotta count for something!

Reactions: Voodoo Tatum 21
Does the timing of this question have anything to do with the fact that it's H-F week for the Brook?

I am torn:

Yes - so Goldendomer and IG88 return

No - because they first have to knock off the defending champs (LWE) before earning the #1 ranking. I think #2 or #3 is probably about the right spot for them at this point. SWSC having both the #1 and #2 teams in the ranking? Would the CCL Blue Guys have a heart attack with that poll?;)
CCL Blue guy has no problem with that. You are ranked, typically (Beth Long joke there), on how you perform and against who you play. I joke, partially, about PC being ranked but if and when we do it may be short lived. PC has “journey through hell and back” schedule for 4 of last 5 games. The Celtic faithful just want that “Willy Wonka golden ticket” (aka 5th win) more than anything. PC, like other strong private programs, can be dangerous 5-4 playoff teams especially in 5A or 6A. Which is why we would like a win against SR which plus Hope victory gives us 5. Then the hell and back journey (MC, MCHS and LA) won’t determine playoff fate.

Reactions: Cross Bones
Does the timing of this question have anything to do with the fact that it's H-F week for the Brook?
No, I don't reckon. I was just going through my own rankings and had to question even myself having the Vikings at #3. They've really given us quite a performance thus far. I think a lot of times we fans and pollsters alike are reactive instead of seeing the present and future. We always put the previous season's #1 at #1 to start the season and rarely does it pan out. It's because we are ignoring what we see on the field and trying to re-interpret the evidence to mean something other than what it plainly shows.

Look, I am no fan of H-F. They took our AD, then took our girls basketball coach, then they've been copying our style, and most notably have all but taken our place in the conference. But even that doesn't cloud my sight. The game coming up next Friday is a mere coincidence. Do we play them?

I may come out to see that LWE/HF game on 9/28. Of course I haven’t been on Griffin soil since our playoff loss back in a think was 2013. The year LWE played GBW in finals. Of course when I go on Griffin soil my catholic sandals begin to burn LOL. You know it’s me I’ll be wearing green.

The King has been destroying people without their Prince AJ Henning (did he play this weekend?). Anyway they should remain #1 until they are knocked off....but I have a feeling they may be this year....

This might be the funniest post yet. The fact BB is playing HF this week has nothing to do with Bones pumping up HF.
This is a no lose post for Bones and his belove Raiders. If they beat HF then BB should be #1 and if they lose? Well then they lost to what he is hyping as the #1 team. Bones you are always figuring a angle in which to sandbag your way of thinking. Comical! LWE #1 until anyone proves otherwise.

The King has been destroying people without their Prince AJ Henning (did he play this weekend?). Anyway they should remain #1 until they are knocked off....but I have a feeling they may be this year....
No he didn’t play. Hopefully getting some reps in this weekend bf LWC and HF. Griffins definitely not playing to their full potential yet on offense.

It looks like Lutheran North lost by a single point to Ohio power La Salle, making the domination by H-F all the more impressive. La Salle is #12 in Ohio per calpreps (not that I honor calpreps for a second [unless it supports my point {but I reserve the right to ignore it when it proves someone else's point}]).

Since we all know Ohio is on another level to Illinois I have to say the Vikings are using magic. Is there another team in Illinois with magic at its disposal?

Reactions: RockSoup
It looks like Lutheran North lost by a single point to Ohio power La Salle, making the domination by H-F all the more impressive. La Salle is #12 in Ohio per calpreps (not that I honor calpreps for a second [unless it supports my point {but I reserve the right to ignore it when it proves someone else's point}]).

Since we all know Ohio is on another level to Illinois I have to say the Vikings are using magic. Is there another team in Illinois with magic at its disposal?

Lol
You don’t truly believe that garbage, I know you Bones. Keep trying to make your case.
Good stuff.

Reactions: Bwm57
Minus 1994 and 2014(They should have won state so many other times) the Michigan City Station hit it right on the head.They said HF rolls in the regular season until they meet their match in round 2 or 3 of the state playoffs every year

Minus 1994 and 2014(They should have won state so many other times) the Michigan City Station hit it right on the head.They said HF rolls in the regular season until they meet their match in round 2 or 3 of the state playoffs every year

HF always has a ton of individual talent but does not play displined team football. This in my opinion is why they fail in the playoffs. We will see how they stack up against BB this week.

I can name about 10 programs that should win 8A every year. Clearly you see the problem with such statements, no?

I guess it is super easy to win a state championship.

I think 3 or 4 not 2 or 1 because when I look at the win vs LN... Naz actually dominated the entire game vs LN whereas HF was tied with them starting the 3rd qtr then pulled away.

I think 3 or 4 not 2 or 1 because when I look at the win vs LN... Naz actually dominated the entire game vs LN whereas HF was tied with them starting the 3rd qtr then pulled away.
That's a good point but H-F's control of the game was more complete. As you note LN didn't score in the 2nd half and H-F was pretty much doing what they pleased offensively. Naz lacked that offensive control of the game. And this is without a starstudded roster.

Also consider the lessons learned from playing Naz helped them be better prepared to face HF which is why there was a tie at half.

Reactions: Cross Bones

OW2.gif

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT