ADVERTISEMENT

Seriously - I blame the parents

Conversely, what if some of the parents got together and decided to do this intentionally so that all the kids just get it done and over with before the end of July - i.e. the chicken pox party theory...

Conversely, what if some of the parents got together and decided to do this intentionally so that all the kids just get it done and over with before the end of July - i.e. the chicken pox party theory...
The only way I personally could support that is if they had 100% agreement of every parent of every kid. Otherwise they are imposing their will on other families without consent, and without understand the individual risks within each family. That opens up the school and the school board to litigation.

Additionally, if that were the thought process, they should have still kept the kids out of camps, and away from school sanctioned activities in order to do so. To believe IDPH and IHSA are not actively monitoring the entire situation is willful ignorance at best. Giving any authority who is still on the fence - whether it be a district board or a government official - any reason to doubt a football season can happen safely with minimum of risk to students only hurts everyone across the entire state.

Wouldn’t put it past some parents.

https://chicago.cbslocal.com/2020/07/07/lake-zurich-high-school-sports-camps-covid-19/amp/

If you went and got a test done because you knew there was a possibility of contact, and didn’t have the results back, why in the world would you let your kid go to a camp?! This could legitimately ruin it for everybody.
OMG. was discussing this in another thread, I am in the camp based on data where schools are open that the risk to the students is nearly zero (unless they have other factors that increase the risk) not that they will not catch it and if they did they typically don’t spread it so hoping contact tracing proves that point.

But if you had contact with a positive person please go get tested and stay home until you are notified of your results.

If the parents of the athletes that tested positive sent them to the camp after they took the test and before they got the results then they are totally at fault and just selfish.

Somebody's parent called CBS and told them about this, they just didn't find out on their own, if they keep sending the damn media crew to every school that a kid test positive then yeah the media will play their part to make sure we don't play.

How could kids test positive when some of the doctors and scientists that post here assured us that kids don't get or spread it?
Kids get the virus but are asymptomatic. Let's face it, everybody needs to get it so we can get back to a normal life! Just stay away from the elderly and those that are at risk.

Yes I corrected myself that they can get it. But they aren't getting sick. And the data provided in multiple countries show they don't spread it like adults do. That's the point. Thanks!

Reactions: pleongas
Yes I corrected myself that they can get it. But they aren't getting sick. And the data provided in multiple countries show they don't spread it like adults do. That's the point. Thanks!
Just keep pounding that. Maybe the guv is moonlighting here too and he’ll get the point.

Did these other countries take actual measures to mitigate the spread of the virus and thus have less of it running through their populations?

Did these other countries take actual measures to mitigate the spread of the virus and thus have less of it running through their populations?
Yes they did many of the same we have done. Some locked down, some didn't. Some wore masks, some didn't. And some actually traced students who tested positive and monitored their interaction with hundreds of people, like the studies Forney posted. And the kids didn't spread it, even though they were carrying it.

Reactions: mmca and Gene K.
Forgive my ignorance, do we know for a fact that this is something that a person can only get once like the chicken pox????

Reactions: net-se
All I'm saying is to think critically here. We know that the flu is much more dangerous to students than covid. That has been documented and put out by medical professionals and CDC. So to that point, we have never been scared of sending kids to school or playing football during flu season. And that's with a vaccine. We've never blinked an eye regarding flu, and the medical field has stated that the flu does more damage to kids 0-18 than covid.

So when it comes to football and school, we are all worried then about kids spreading right? Because we know they aren't more susceptible to it's problems more than the flu. It must be the spread. Well, before we make decisions perhaps we should look around the world where they have sent students back to school. What does the data and science say? And right now based on schools in multiple countries, those studied and doctors say that students don't spread it like adults do.

So which is it? Are we displaying an unwarranted worry for our kids safety when we know they are not in any danger from the virus? Or are we worried about the kids spreading it, but not willing to look at the data that is available to us showing they don't spread it at any significant measure?

These are things the IHSA won't be following and they shouldn't. It's at a national level, but local jurisdictions can have some input on what they do. Hutsonville school district just announced they are recommending what ISBE put out, but they aren't enforcing anything. You could see some districts following ISBE or not based on legal advice. And maybe the IHSA will alter things based on the court ruling versus ISBE and IDPH.

Yes they did many of the same we have done. Some locked down, some didn't. Some wore masks, some didn't. And some actually traced students who tested positive and monitored their interaction with hundreds of people, like the studies Forney posted. And the kids didn't spread it, even though they were carrying it.

And many (unlike pretty much every single state in our own country) had the stones and discipline to stick with the restrictions through the downward slope of the curve until they got down to sustainable low levels.

Forgive my ignorance, do we know for a fact that this is something that a person can only get once like the chicken pox????
Unfortunately not at this time, at least definitively, the only reports of reinfection that I saw early on was in South Korea, but was later pulled back after they determined they were false positives after following up on those cases.

Somebody's parent called CBS and told them about this, they just didn't find out on their own, if they keep sending the damn media crew to every school that a kid test positive then yeah the media will play their part to make sure we don't play.

That damn media. Reporting on news in a community.

It's their fault that Covid is still here. Maybe we should just put our head in the sand like they did in Florida

It's their fault that Covid is still here. Maybe we should just put our head in the sand like they did in Florida

Is it really newsworthy though? There have been multiple local companies going on lay-off due to confirmed cases and not a peep in the media, I would contend that is much more significant then summer camp being delayed.

It was just a few short weeks ago parents were going to move to Texas and Florida so their kids could play football. Some even talked about renting an apartment and leaving the kid alone only visiting on weekends. I wonder how many actually moved. We also had kids going to Indiana so they could play.

It was just a few short weeks ago parents were going to move to Texas and Florida so their kids could play football. Some even talked about renting an apartment and leaving the kid alone only visiting on weekends. I wonder how many actually moved. We also had kids going to Indiana so they could play.
I still will if Indiana is a go and Illinois is not.

Unfortunately not at this time, at least definitively, the only reports of reinfection that I saw early on was in South Korea, but was later pulled back after they determined they were false positives after following up on those cases.

Saw a news story just yesterday about how antibodies for Covid19 are fading to insignificant levels in people who have survived it within 2-3 months:

https://www.the-scientist.com/news-opinion/studies-report-rapid-loss-of-covid-19-antibodies-67650

Reactions: Zebra

I’m sorry I’m not a media fan. In my line of work Ive seen them spin too many stories the wrong direction or report “news” half cocked without all the info. They do a lot more harm then good in some cases. I know they have jobs to do, time slots to fill and deadlines to meet but back in my days you had the morning, evening and late night news for a half hour a peice because sometimes it was a slow news day....now it’s 5 hour long broadcasts on the networks and some 24 hrs....it’s turned into Hard Copy. Rant over.

Kids get the virus but are asymptomatic. Let's face it, everybody needs to get it so we can get back to a normal life! Just stay away from the elderly and those that are at risk.
The problem I have with this thought process is you don’t know what kids have someone at home who is high risk. So should that kid have to miss camp and possibly not play at all? I get the herd immunity philosophy, but I don’t want anyone else forcing me into a decision for my kid. If all these camps were able to segregate players for 2 weeks from any of their families, I’d be more on board. But right now, that is not a viable option.

The problem I have with this thought process is you don’t know what kids have someone at home who is high risk. So should that kid have to miss camp and possibly not play at all? I get the herd immunity philosophy, but I don’t want anyone else forcing me into a decision for my kid. If all these camps were able to segregate players for 2 weeks from any of their families, I’d be more on board. But right now, that is not a viable option.
The parents of those kids know who is high risk and unfortunately they will have to make a tough decision.

I’m sorry I’m not a media fan. In my line of work Ive seen them spin too many stories the wrong direction or report “news” half cocked without all the info. They do a lot more harm then good in some cases. I know they have jobs to do, time slots to fill and deadlines to meet but back in my days you had the morning, evening and late night news for a half hour a peice because sometimes it was a slow news day....now it’s 5 hour long broadcasts on the networks and some 24 hrs....it’s turned into Hard Copy. Rant over.

Just like bad cops, there are plenty of bad people in the media. I worked for some and there are others I woud trust.

Drove by Fremd this morning and was surprised by the lack of social distancing, 11 on 11 drills, coaches in groups, no masks.

I post a link to the study from Europe regarding secondary spread for patients under 18 to another person is basically 0. Other countries are finding the same results. Hence the kids are in school many without masks. Why the US has not done the same studies is a mystery to me, (I have an opinion, but not the forum for that). If they have I have not seen anything, other then anecdotal information from Colorado that child to adult is very rare. It seems this information would be critical to make the next step.

Bottom line there is plenty of evidence that kids are not bringing this home and spreading it to their parents/grandparents. At least in countries that have bothered to investigate it.

Reactions: Gene K. and mmca
I post a link to the study from Europe regarding secondary spread for patients under 18 to another person is basically 0. Other countries are finding the same results. Hence the kids are in school many without masks. Why the US has not done the same studies is a mystery to me, (I have an opinion, but not the forum for that). If they have I have not seen anything, other then anecdotal information from Colorado that child to adult is very rare. It seems this information would be critical to make the next step.

Bottom line there is plenty of evidence that kids are not bringing this home and spreading it to their parents/grandparents. At least in countries that have bothered to investigate it.

https://www.rivm.nl/en/novel-coronavirus-covid-19/children-and-covid-19

Reactions: CaravanMan

This is not necessarily true. There is evidence that suggests high school students are at much higher risk of transmitting to adults relative to elementary school students. And many experts are saying there is not enough data at all to actually form any sort of solid conclusion.

https://www.sciencemag.org/news/202...t-ways-keep-coronavirus-bay-despite-outbreaks

This particular article touches on both of those points and seems to touch on a broader range of the available case studies to better demonstrate the still uncertain nature of how this virus behaves in our young people and in schools.

Reactions: Blue Ruin and Zebra

Interesting - but I am seeing (admittedly anecdotal) evidence to the contrary in my community right now. A high number of families with High School age kids are testing positive. I’ll have to read the report.

CDC will not revise guidelines for schools reopening despite Trump criticism
https://www.cnn.com/world/live-news...09-20-intl/h_ed29e2879a15ea25030e11906e6ab01c

Wheaton D200 announced their plans for the school year last night:

1) Elementary school kids are back in class full time. There is an opt out for E-learning but if you select it you can't send your kids back to the classroom until the half way point of the year and if you don't at that point it is all E-learning for all year.

2) Middle School is a hybrid system with 2-3 days a week in class and E- learning

3) High School is a hybrid system with 2-3 days a week in class and E- learning

Once things get to Phase 5 everyone is back to normal.

1) Elementary school kids are back in class full time. There is an opt out for E-learning but if you select it you can't send your kids back to the classroom until the half way point of the year and if you don't at that point it is all E-learning for all year.

2) Middle School is a hybrid system with 2-3 days a week in class and E- learning

D211 is also looking at hybrid currently. Families are being split 50/50 so while half the families have kids in school for a week, the other families have the kids at home remote learning (have to check in with Zoom feed). Only 4 periods a day

Wonder if a 6 days a week on-campus athletic participation can be squared with only a 2 or 3 days a week (with limited hours) on-campus academic attendance model? Only time will tell ...

I wonder how many other DISTRICT BOEs were waiting to see what others are doing.

I heard a rumor the schools of WSC have agreed not to hold any camps for any sports until at least July 30th. I’m not positive everyone is on board though, as I personally saw Downers South on their field this week.

Drove by Fremd this morning and was surprised by the lack of social distancing, 11 on 11 drills, coaches in groups, no masks.

I WENT to Fremd today to watch practice. ALL of the guidelines set forth by the IHSA were followed to the letter. That included all the coaches in mask.

Guess it is better to get out of your car than whiz past on Quentin Road at 45 MPH.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT