ADVERTISEMENT

Seems pretty clear that GW is heading to 7A

capnbillhitters

Gold Member
May 18, 2015
Not trying to jump @Catch--22 because he doesn't predict future qualifiers the way Soucie does.

Not trying to jump Soucie because he has 8 fields to predict which takes a ton of time.

I am not judging this to be good or bad @Gforce5, just playing the what if game to figure out which field is the likely landing spot for GW.

If you look mat the playoff outlook on IHSA http://ihsa.org/SportsActivities/BoysFootball/StateSeriesInformationResults.aspx?url=/data/fb/outlook.htm
You will see GW as the smallest 8A school right now. A few movements will likely happen to the current field to push GW down to 7A:
  1. Lake Park (#31) does not qualify because they lose to at least two of GBN, NV and NC
  2. E'ville gets two wins (Bell. E and Collinsville) at least and takes LP's spot
  3. Evanston beats Niles West and Niles N to qualify and push up from 37 into top 32
  4. Joliet West beat Plainfield C meaning they are now in field & only need to beat Jolient C now to clinch
  5. DGS is now less likely to beat DGN after DGN beats OPRF, but not needed now
So assuming LP loses out, if E'Ville and Evanston pick up two expected wins each and Joliet W beats Joliet C, GW drops to 7A even if DGS loses to DGN.

I can't imagine Soucie doesn't push GW down to 7A this week.

Glenbard West will be 8a if Bloom beat Kankakee.

Opposite. Bloom beats Kankakee and it confirms Bloom making 8A and keeps GW out of 8A.

Now, if Bloom loses to Kank 3-3, Rich Central 4-2 and Alleman 4-2, then GW would need Zion Benton to beat L'ville or DGS to beat DGN

Yikes...forgot about WV. They still need to beat two of LWC, NN and WN or else DGS has to beat DGN, or Z-B needs to beat L'ville.

Last edited:

Nope. Not biting. I'm not providing any locker room motivation to those monsters. Will we show up to the 8A playoff game of our fate and play some football. No revenge, no bull.

I will say we have a completely rebuilt defense that shut down a really good QB this week. I guess we can thank you guys for exposing our weaknesses.

Reactions: Gene K.
I thought the revenge comment was originally from a Lyons supporter (chuck998) wanting to play GW in the 8A playoffs. Was I wrong?

No, I am a Hitter fan. I was thinking about last year when GW played in 8A playoffs and got beat in the semi-finals, and how nice it would be to earn an 8A trophy. Didn't realize that the word 'revenge' would trigger you girls, and on second thought it's a poor choice of word.

Last edited:
No, I am a Hitter fan. I was thinking about last year when GW played in 8A playoffs and got beat in the semi-finals, and how nice it would be to earn an 8A trophy. Didn't realize that the word 'revenge' would trigger you girls. Sorry...
Got it. Sorry for the confusion.

No, I am a Hitter fan. I was thinking about last year when GW played in 8A playoffs and got beat in the semi-finals, and how nice it would be to earn an 8A trophy. Didn't realize that the word 'revenge' would trigger you girls, and on second thought it's a poor choice of word.

Aw sweetie, I wasn't triggered. I'm just trying to avoid sounding smug.

Last edited:
Reactions: chuck998
Glenbard West has proven it can play with top 8A teams so I am not sure why they would be afraid of the highest class. To be the best you have to beat the best. The 7A champ is never considered the best team in the state. Also the bracket will look a lot different in 3 weeks once the playoff points are all finalized.

Glenbard West has proven it can play with top 8A teams so I am not sure why they would be afraid of the highest class. To be the best you have to beat the best. The 7A champ is never considered the best team in the state. Also the bracket will look a lot different in 3 weeks once the playoff points are all finalized.

My issue is not being "afraid of the highest class" or whether GW can "play with top 8A teams."

My issue is the health of a team that has to play a 4-5 game gauntlet against teams like NV that have the depth to run 6-7 guys out into their offense depending on the down & distance. I know how the DVC guys feel and why some of the smaller schools left. NV, H-F, LA all seemed to be 2-3 deep at every position while GW was exposed last year when we lost our third starting LB against LA and ended up looking like a mere shell of ourselves.

In any game, one on one, I am all in on playing LA, MS or LWE. I trust Hetlet and Sig to put together a 48 minute game plan to match anyone in the state.

I would rather play a 7A playoff bracket that would still have extremely high quality games with teams like ESL, LZ, MC etc. waiting in the weeds, but provide some early round games where you're not facing teams with 100+ guys on the other sideline.

Reactions: Gene K.

Right, the 6A champs are.

J/K

2013 when MC won 7A there were considered by most here and the press as the best team in Illinois. In 2015 when GW went 14-0 and won 7A I believe they were considered as 1 or 2 by everyone with LA as 1 or 2 by everyone as well.

2013 when MC won 7A there were considered by most here and the press as the best team in Illinois. In 2015 when GW went 14-0 and won 7A I believe they were considered as 1 or 2 by everyone with LA as 1 or 2 by everyone as well.

And we all know that the two best teams played in the 7A title match in '12 as well. *waits for caravan8 to come unglued*

And we all know that the two best teams played in the 7A title match in '12 as well. *waits for caravan8 to come unglued*
Haha. Good call Cap. I don’t think MC was the best team in ‘12. They grew throughout the season and made some plays in the playoffs to advance. Also in the title game they went up against a Glenbard North team that was dependent on the run & that played into a strength of MC’s defense. Point was that I don’t think the 8A winner is always considered the best team in Illinois.

Not so fast here homeslice...I think EVERYONE knows who the best teams are, regardless of class, each year. You have to observe pure talent and execution. Last year ESL, Prarie Ridge, Phillips and Loyola were all at the top of the conversation of the best in the state. We could have done it college football style and had these 4 teams "only" in the playoffs!! Clearly ESL could run with the best in the Midwest last year!! 8A just mean more kids, more resources and bigger disappointments! 7A has always had the big hitters...come back home GBW!!

Mine too CapN.

Let’s meet up for a bloody and start game day off the right way!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT