ADVERTISEMENT

Sad News

FBFever7

Nov 2, 2022
You hate to see any school drop football or worse close.I have a soft spot for all of the schools who no longer have football due to various reasons.I am a HUGE fan of schools who were in the old Illini 8 & Sica Conferences.Anyways though it has been now 40 years since Joliet East closed the school is still there as a Job Corps.The rusting lights,some stands,scoreboard,goal posts & field still there.Well they are selling/have sold that property & they're going to tear all that down & make it industrial.I really hate it & I know it's sad & it's progress but still seeing the old field & stadium always brought a sad smile to my face just like seeing Pat Cronin Field gone & Kankakee Eastridge wasting away

What does Rich East look like these days? I have not driven by there since its closure.

On their Fb page it's reported homeless are staying there.They are supposedly going to tear it down.It's sad to see it closed & Central & South changed names & only 1 sports program.Plus those once nice areas are not good.Did you know East was going to buy Lincoln Way North & send the kids there but kids who went to North before/lived in the area of the school wouldn't be able to go there!!!! The reason New Lenox/Mokena/Frankfort/Manhattan areas got so huge was that people from the once nice south suburbs that got bad moved out to the towns i mentioned to get away from the bad element

Last edited:
Truth be told, I know nothing about Driscoll High and if the school even had its own pitch. But 7 consecutive state titles has never been matched which one would think would have made the gridiron iconic. Is the firld a strip mall now or a parking lot? Is there anything there that shows it was home field for a school that holds a unique place in ihsa grid history for success?

I am a HUGE fan of schools who were in the old Illini 8 & Sica Conferences.Anyways though it has been now 40 years since Joliet East closed the school is still there as a Job Corps.The rusting lights,some stands,scoreboard,goal posts & field still there.Well they are selling/have sold that property & they're going to tear all that down & make it industrial.I really hate it & I know it's sad & it's progress but still seeing the old field & stadium always brought a sad smile to my face just like seeing Pat Cronin Field gone & Kankakee Eastridge wasting away
Very good post. I was in that area on Mills Rd. about three months ago. It had been years since I was last there. I used to do a lot of business with the small business owners in that area in the mid 80s. With all the trucks in the area now I try to stay away from there. You are right. Seeing the old, decaying football stadium at Joliet East brought back memories and sadness as well.

I had quite a few friends from JT East and JT Central when I was in HS. Spent a lot of time in the Sugar Creek neighborhood back then and knew people off Washington St. closer to downtown. Used to drink at Galli's now and then in the early 80s. Had a few here and there in the old Huchek's in the Heggie area. I always felt like people from those places were in line more with my thinking and the old Lockport. But things change.

It is sad to see those changes. But, not all change is bad. I like a lot of the improvements in Lockport. Not all of the changes, but a lot. And we have a mayor who is trying.

I remember very well when JT East closed. I also remember a lot of people who were unhappy with having their kids go to Central with the closing of East.

Reactions: FBFever7
Very good post. I was in that area on Mills Rd. about three months ago. It had been years since I was last there. I used to do a lot of business with the small business owners in that area in the mid 80s. With all the trucks in the area now I try to stay away from there. You are right. Seeing the old, decaying football stadium at Joliet East brought back memories and sadness as well.

I had quite a few friends from JT East and JT Central when I was in HS. Spent a lot of time in the Sugar Creek neighborhood back then and knew people off Washington St. closer to downtown. Used to drink at Galli's now and then in the early 80s. Had a few here and there in the old Huchek's in the Heggie area. I always felt like people from those places were in line more with my thinking and the old Lockport. But things change.

It is sad to see those changes. But, not all change is bad. I like a lot of the improvements in Lockport. Not all of the changes, but a lot. And we have a mayor who is trying.

I remember very well when JT East closed. I also remember a lot of people who were unhappy with having their kids go to Central with the closing of East.
Thank You!!! In 1981 Central was voted to close 5-2.They only played 7 games in football that year.2 vs East.Well a woman on the board owned the store down the street from Central & she would lose a lot of business.They tied up the closing & some new board members were in.The vote was 3-3 & the deciding vote was cast by a guy who had kids at East.$$$$$ talked & he voted to close East.I always tell East Kingsmen not to feel too bad.Because as bad as Central & even West is now East should be happy they went out on top & aren't a part of that mess now.That area isn't good now

Truth be told, I know nothing about Driscoll High and if the school even had its own pitch. But 7 consecutive state titles has never been matched which one would think would have made the gridiron iconic. Is the firld a strip mall now or a parking lot? Is there anything there that shows it was home field for a school that holds a unique place in ihsa grid history for success?

The Addison Driscoll school; baseball field and football field has now been replaced with new homes but the area of the homes is named Highlanders after the Driscoll Highlanders.

Reactions: crusader_of_90
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT