ADVERTISEMENT

Run Dominated Teams Winning State Titles

I would say at Montini over the past 6-7 years that 90-100% of the starting corners went on to play college ball as well as 85-100% of the starting two wide receivers went on to play college ball.

How about JCA and Geneseo?

As I stated in my previous post, a system like JC does not put their best athletes at the WR position and does not develop them. I cant give you an exact %, but JC routinely sends DB's to college. In addition, Montini has been more successful than JCA over the last 6-7, which means they probably have better personal, which means more kids playing at the next level. I dont think the offense Montini runs is the reason it is sending DB's to college. They are sending DB's to college because they have quality athletes.

If a WR is good enough to go to a BCS or FCS school on scholarship and the OC or HC don't utilize him, that's on the HC. The "system" should fit the players you have, not vice versa. I remember watching Oak Forest when they had Tevin Coleman and he only touched the ball 6 times in the first half. 4 of them went for touchdowns (3 rushes and 1 punt return) and the other 2 were huge rushing gains. He barely touched the ball in the second half. That's on the HC and/or OC.

I would say at Montini over the past 6-7 years that 90-100% of the starting corners went on to play college ball as well as 85-100% of the starting two wide receivers went on to play college ball.

How about JCA and Geneseo?
I think playing college ball is a poor barometer. Jc does have a lit of kids in the secondary play college football. But does it really say anything about the program if a few kids play d2 or d3 ball? The sheer number is irrelevant bc I can think of lots of kids who could have played small college ball who opted to go to school and be a student and not play football.

I think how a school does in sending kids to college depends more on the players they attract out of 8th grade and as transfers than it does on their development. Sure coaching and system matters. But an undersized try hard kid won't get a big time offer no matter what. If montini sends tons of dbs to d1schools, that is more a testament to them finding fast kids with ball skills who run sub 4.6 40 times than it does to their system. The only thing the system might do is bring in those kids hoping to be wr who then flip to the other side of the ball. It's all about bringing in the talent and the only impact the system really has is on what types of athletes want to walk through the front doors.

If you can run, block, or tackle and you have the measurables, college programs will find you.

Reactions: Gene K. and USD24
Yes Montini has always had decent to very good receivers, but quite frankly if you look at the last 6-7 years they have had outstanding running backs every year to complement the passing game. Without those running backs Montini would have had a problem passing all the time as their offensive lines have never been very big but they relied on their speed and athleticism. Good coaching too has kept other teams guessing whether the offense is going to pass or run.

Montini's achilles heel has usually been on the defensive side of the ball, mainly on the D-line which usually has smaller players than the opposing team' offensive line. It's one of the reasons I have advocated for Montini to run the ball more keeping the offense on the field eating up the clock with running plays.

Being such a small school Montini also had to have their stud athletes playing on both offense and defense some years and it has worked out overall but eventually can take its toll.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT