ADVERTISEMENT

Rules Question for the Board

Formicidae13

Aug 9, 2019
This past Saturday I was at the Mascoutah v.s. Rochester matchup. Late in the game, Mascoutah elected to try an onside kick. The ball was kicked in the air and Mascoutah caught the ball prior to a bounce, with nobody else able to get to the ball before it would have gone out of bounds. The ball was caught far enough down so that it was legal, but a flag was thrown afterwards(so it couldn’t be offsides) and Rochester was given possession. I figure maybe catching the ball before it bounces must be illegal but I’ve never seen it be called before. So can anyone confirm or deny that to me, and if that’s why, are there certain conditions it would be legal to catch it prior to a bounce? I’m sure it was the correct call but I’d like to educate myself on something new because it’s not too often I can do that in football anymore. Thanks for any help

This past Saturday I was at the Mascoutah v.s. Rochester matchup. Late in the game, Mascoutah elected to try an onside kick. The ball was kicked in the air and Mascoutah caught the ball prior to a bounce, with nobody else able to get to the ball before it would have gone out of bounds. The ball was caught far enough down so that it was legal, but a flag was thrown afterwards(so it couldn’t be offsides) and Rochester was given possession. I figure maybe catching the ball before it bounces must be illegal but I’ve never seen it be called before. So can anyone confirm or deny that to me, and if that’s why, are there certain conditions it would be legal to catch it prior to a bounce? I’m sure it was the correct call but I’d like to educate myself on something new because it’s not too often I can do that in football anymore. Thanks for any help
I’d have to see the tape but you can touch it at the 9 yard mark and land 10 to 11 yards away from the kick, but it still is an illegal touch. Could this have happened?

I’d have to see the tape but you can touch it at the 9 yard mark and land 10 to 11 yards away from the kick, but it still is an illegal touch. Could this have happened?
I don’t believe so. The ball was placed at the Mascoutah 45 yard line afterwards so it must have been at least 10 yards down field when it happened

Kick Catching Interference. Unless touched by R, K may not recover a free kick in flight. How far the ball was kicked does not matter. 15 yards.

a pop-up kick, by definition, is a free kick driven into the ground to pop the ball up. That’s an immediate blow of the whistle to kill it, and a five yarder. (I’m blanking here, but I believe it’s the illegal procedure signal).

Tagged the refs for better clarity. The rule stems from player protection emphasis so whether it hits the ground and pops up or is a direct pop up, if it leaves R vulnerable, they’ll call dead ball. Just have to hit a hard grounder now. I thought I did see a kick off recovered this year (caught on the fly too) by K legally but aimed at a dead zone (20ish yards from the X) and an R player not in the area. I hope the refs chime in because I’m just assuming my interpretations.

Reactions: Formicidae13
Tagged the refs for better clarity. The rule stems from player protection emphasis so whether it hits the ground and pops up or is a direct pop up, if it leaves R vulnerable, they’ll call dead ball. Just have to hit a hard grounder now. I thought I did see a kick off recovered this year (caught on the fly too) by K legally but aimed at a dead zone (20ish yards from the X) and an R player not in the area. I hope the refs chime in because I’m just assuming my interpretations.
You are correct that the pop up kick rationale is player safety, though unless I’m misreading (most likely issue), it doesn’t matter if R is in a position of vulnerability or not, you immediately kill it.

K cannot catch a free kick that has not touched the ground. If they do it’s kick catch interference even if there’s no R player anywhere near it. If the ball was driven into the ground and then popped up it should have been killed and rekicked as stated. Sounds like there was a KCI on the play in question here

K cannot catch a free kick that has not touched the ground. If they do it’s kick catch interference even if there’s no R player anywhere near it. If the ball was driven into the ground and then popped up it should have been killed and rekicked as stated. Sounds like there was a KCI on the play in question here
That’s my read on things as well. Just so I stop having the brain fart, is it classified under illegal procedure for the pop up kick?

Reactions: linetogain
Ok I get the free kick that never touches the ground can’t be recovered by K. But if a kicker drills the ball into the ground and on the second hop it launches say 10 ft into the air, that’s illegal?

Reactions: crusader_of_90
Ok I get the free kick that never touches the ground can’t be recovered by K. But if a kicker drills the ball into the ground and on the second hop it launches say 10 ft into the air, that’s illegal?

Second hop would be legal. First hop, not so much.

Reactions: markmacaluso
K cannot catch a free kick that has not touched the ground. If they do it’s kick catch interference even if there’s no R player anywhere near it.

If a free kick bounces off a R player, it may be caught by a K player before it hits the ground.

Ball has to hit the ground or returning player before becoming recoverable by the kicking team. Has to travel 10 yds before kicking team can recover unless touched by a returning player.

The other officials got this right, kickers can't catch a kick in the air unless touched by the receivers. One other thing to note. Kickers cannot advance a ball that has been muffed by the receivers. They can only recover.

Reactions: RockSoup
Just to clarify a "pop up kick" thats ILLEGAL.
1- has to be driven into the ground.
2- it needs to go HIGHER than (general rule of thumb) 6 FEET on 1st bounce

If driven into the ground and it never goes higher than 6' its legal. So with that being sad it can be driven into the ground just as long as at stays low on the first bounce... and if after the first bounce it takes a second bounce and goes airborne to any height.... its legal

If it meets the requirements of a illegal pop up kick its a dead ball immediately, illegal procedure (BJ signals false start) 5 yard reset to the 35 and rekick.

^ This

Just to clarify a "pop up kick" thats ILLEGAL.
1- has to be driven into the ground.
2- it needs to go HIGHER than (general rule of thumb) 6 FEET on 1st bounce

If driven into the ground and it never goes higher than 6' its legal. So with that being sad it can be driven into the ground just as long as at stays low on the first bounce... and if after the first bounce it takes a second bounce and goes airborne to any height.... its legal

If it meets the requirements of a illegal pop up kick its a dead ball immediately, illegal procedure (BJ signals false start) 5 yard reset to the 35 and rekick.
Hot damn. I was right about it being illegal procedure.

I’ve seen ICCP be pretty successful with high pooch kickoffs that land around the 25-30. Not a pop up but pretty similar. Pretty much forces an up back to make a clean fair catch most of the time.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT