ADVERTISEMENT

Blocked Field Goal Attempt & Ruling Question

bjzeeb

Gold Member
May 11, 2023
Haven't experienced this type of ruling before... Attended the Milk Bowl last night between Breese Central and Breese Mater Dei. Tied 14-14 with 9 seconds left in 4th quarter, 3rd and 1, Breese Central decides to kick a field goal. Field goal attempt is blocked by Mater Dei player and goes out of bounds behind the line of scrimmage. Ruling on field: Breese Central is allowed to re-kick because it was only 3rd down and the ball never crossed line of scrimmage. Second attempt was good, Breese Central wins 17-14. Was this the right call?

if the kick went out of bounds then the officials didn't handle this correctly. A kick OOB ends the series of downs regardless if it crossed the line or not
Kick was blocked/deflected out of bounds by Defense behind line of scrimmage.

Guess I’d be curious since the ball never crosses the line. Typically that’s the equivalent to an incomplete pass
its rule 5-1-3
"when a scrimmage down ends...a new series is awarded to
e. R, if K legally kicks during any any scrimmage down and the ball is recovered by R, is in joint possession of opponents, *goes out of bounds* or becomes dead with no player in possession

That’s what I was thinking. First time I’ve seen a team get a second chance at a field goal without a penalty.
Most teams don’t kick unless it’s 4th down, much less have it blocked and then recovered in bounds with time still on the clock.

Guess I’d be curious since the ball never crosses the line. Typically that’s the equivalent to an incomplete pass
More equivalent to a fumble since the ball is live and will be next snapped from the dead ball spot and not the previous spot.

Most teams don’t kick unless it’s 4th down, much less have it blocked and then recovered in bounds with time still on the clock.
Agree, most don’t kick on 3rd down. That along with being blocked out of bounds behind line of scrimmage left many in attendance scratching their head on ruling, including me. Appreciate the comment.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT