ADVERTISEMENT

Round 2 Best Matchups

RockSoup

Gold Member
Oct 1, 2009
I don’t know if all are the best matchups but these are my most intriguing games:

5A
Nazareth @ Marmion
Fenwick @ Rockford Boylan

6A
Lemont @ Springfield
Crete-Monee @ St. Ignatius

7A
Batavia @ Mt. Carmel
Normal @ Jacobs

8A
Warren @ Glenbard North
Glenbard West @ Lockport
Loyola @ Naperville Central

What say you? And include 1A to 4A if you could. I don’t know enough.

There were hardly any surprises in round 1.

I don't think this years matchups are as great as previous years. You look at 4a and 6a and there is a heavy favorite to win those brackets.

I don't know much about 1a through 3a outside of IC.

Even in round 2 the only matchup that excites me is Batavia and Mt Carmel.

I am just not feeling it this year.

I don't think this years matchups are as great as previous years. You look at 4a and 6a and there is a heavy favorite to win those brackets.

Warren and GBN are both talented and well-coached squads.

This is a game that is definitely worth your time.

In the upset, I like GBN.

Last edited:

Wassup
A lot of parity this year not a lot of great teams.
most dominant teams to win state this year IMO
JCA 4A
ESL 6A.

LA 8A but they are farther away from a lock than the two teams above IMO.
Like you I don’t know much about the lower levels.

Reactions: Wassup13
LWE@Minooka
Batavia @ Mt. Carmel
Warren @ Glenbard North

So all these games are intriguing. I think Iggy & MC get it done but the others are playing away and we could see an upset with one of these games. Parity guys and playing at home might just be the small advantage needed for an upset? I will add the second round will be more difficult than last week.

I don’t know if all are the best matchups but these are my most intriguing games:

5A
Nazareth @ Marmion
Fenwick @ Rockford Boylan

6A
Lemont @ Springfield

7A
Batavia @ Mt. Carmel
Normal @ Jacobs

8A
Warren @ Glenbard North
Glenbard West @ Lockport

What say you? And include 1A to 4A if you could. I don’t know enough.
The Springfield vs Lemont at Springfield is very interesting to me

Will be a good game. Similar teams in many ways. I actually saw them play yesterday. The difference will be Moe Edwards once he gets to the 2nd level its to the house. He is physical and runs a 4.4. Warren defense gives you 2 secs to get the ball off. They have two of the best corners that play press. GBN is a much slower team than Warren. Not having #9 is big loss for GBN. Looking forward to the ride to GBN. Every week Warren is an upset possibility - interesting. The flag is still flying. Home of six flags.

• Haha
Reactions: chiliconcarne
The Springfield vs Lemont at Springfield is very interesting to me
Me too. Springfield’s first home playoff game in 10 years. After last week and with the other CS8 teams playing Saturday, this will draw a huge crowd. The Senators head coach will not be back next season, and the players responded Friday to get him his first playoff win. They scored 94 points last week, but their defense also has given up 52, 63, and 72 points in the season.

Reactions: NapervilleBuck

GBN will be minus their best player DE/TE - won’t be able to drop back to pass with that kind of time vs Warren front 7.

Loyola at Central could be a great one. Central’s D played a tremendous game against Aidan Gray and that diverse NN offense. While LA is a step up in class I think they mirror what NN tries to do.

GBN vs The Fighting MicahNewt’s should be another doozie as already mentioned. I think WT has too much for em.

Richards vs All Gas. Will ESL name their score?

Reactions: crusader_of_90
Will be a good game. Similar teams in many ways. I actually saw them play yesterday. The difference will be Moe Edwards once he gets to the 2nd level its to the house. He is physical and runs a 4.4. Warren defense gives you 2 secs to get the ball off. They have two of the best corners that play press. GBN is a much slower team than Warren. Not having #9 is big loss for GBN. Looking forward to the ride to GBN. Every week Warren is an upset possibility - interesting. The flag is still flying. Home of six flags.
Warren has been a top tier program for the previous four years, with a ferocious defense that would give any offensive fits, as everyone has noted several times.

Warren, in the games I've seen, MS, LF, and BAR have struggled offensively, and I don't believe they're as strong upfront, offensively, as they were in 2018 and 2019.

Because GBN is at home, I'll pick them in a 9-7 game. Warren's lucky number is 14. Is it possible for them to score 14 points?

In their most recent losses, they scored the following points:
2021 MS: 2 score.
2019 LWE: 0
2018 BR: 0

@micahjones , I'll say it again: Warren is a well regarded program. For the past three seasons, they have been ranked among the top 5-10 teams in the state.

Last edited:
Warren has been a top tier program for the previous four years, with a ferocious defense that would give any offensive fits, as everyone has noted several times.

Warren, in the games I've seen, MS, LF, and BAR have struggled offensively, and I don't believe they're as strong upfront, offensively, as they were in 2018 and 2019.

Because GBN is at home, I'll pick them in a 9-7 game. Warren's lucky number is 14. Is it possible for them to score 14 points?

In their most recent losses, they scored the following points:
2021 MS: 2 score.
2019 LWE: 0
2018 BR: 0

@micahjones , I'll say it again: Warren is a well regarded program. For the past three seasons, they have been ranked among the top 5-10 teams in the state.
Nice that you went back three years. What has been warren record during that time. Warren is running & defensive team. Not sexy but effective. How many points did those teams score against other opponents ... a lot, that tells what you are playing agsinst. Buckle it up. Most teams would take Warren strategy. They have lost about 5 games in 3-4 years. The total points scored in those games has not been much. My point is Warren strategy is tough to play against. Its the reason why they send many kids to next level. Extremely physical & well coached team. The flag will fly for years to come... just reload. Home of six flags. 🎢

• Haha
Reactions: chiliconcarne
I think PR runs away with this one. Running clock.
I don’t think that’s happening. Wauconda’s combined score through being 10-0 is 443-89. They may not have been playing the same kind of competition in their conference as the FVC but you can’t tell me a team that puts up numbers like that is going to get a running clock from PR. I guess we’ll see next Friday.

Last edited:
Reactions: msuyko
I haven’t seen Marmion this year but the Fenwick and Ignatius people I’ve spoken to have led me to believe Naz might be in some trouble.

Yes. This one just missed the cut. Hopefully, someone can help preview this one
I can’t comment on GS other than their conference appears to be on the weaker side and I think sycamore is more battle tested with who they’ve played thus far. I’ve seen Sycamore twice and they are tough. They have speed all around are a balanced offense and have a really good D.
I think Sycamore handles them fairly easy. I’d say a mid 30s to mid to upper teen score.

Reactions: RockSoup
I haven’t seen Marmion this year but the Fenwick and Ignatius people I’ve spoken to have led me to believe Naz might be in some trouble.

Big offensive line like always. QB is a good athlete

There were 3 brothers who went there and they all play on the NFL.

Reactions: Irish LB
I don’t think that’s happening. Wauconda’s combined score through being 10-0 is 443-89. They may not have been playing the same kind of competition in their conference as the FVC but you can’t tell me a team that puts up numbers like that is going to get a running clock from PR. I guess we’ll see next Friday.
Agree…we will see. Not a lot of things would make me happier than if I am completely wrong on my prediction. I did not make the statement because I am a fan or a homer. Quite the opposite.

Here’s my take:

I have seen both teams live this year and believe what I see. The difference in the coaching staffs, especially once playoffs begin, is a factor. There is sizable margin in strength of conferences/schedules. Wauconda has a pretty good D, but no one has been able to slow or stop the PR offense, besides CG…and they are special. Plus they have added Vasey back into their mix, which makes them more dangerous, with 4 true options. Wauconda has Husko who is a very good 2 way football player and a better wrestler. But, I’m not sure about the Wauconda supporting players and if they are dynamic enough to stay close with PR.

I’m hoping this becomes bulletin board material and helps motivate the Wauconda locker room.

Agree…we will see. Not a lot of things would make me happier than if I am completely wrong on my prediction. I did not make the statement because I am a fan or a homer. Quite the opposite.

Here’s my take:

I have seen both teams live this year and believe what I see. The difference in the coaching staffs, especially once playoffs begin, is a factor. There is sizable margin in strength of conferences/schedules. Wauconda has a pretty good D, but no one has been able to slow or stop the PR offense, besides CG…and they are special. Plus they have added Vasey back into their mix, which makes them more dangerous, with 4 true options. Wauconda has Husko who is a very good 2 way football player and a better wrestler. But, I’m not sure about the Wauconda supporting players and if they are dynamic enough to stay close with PR.

I’m hoping this becomes bulletin board material and helps motivate the Wauconda locker room.
I’m still trying to decide if the FVC really was that competitive this year. A PR rematch could be a better game the second time around if it happens again.

Last edited:

Here’s my take:

If your argument for PR to reign comes without mentioning Vince Bennett of Wauconda then you haven’t seen Wauconda really play. How could you ignore their best offensive weapon?

If you think this is a whitewash I’m hoping the PR players don’t. If they do it’ll be uni turn in time Monday. Wauconda is legit.

If your argument for PR to reign comes without mentioning Vince Bennett of Wauconda then you haven’t seen Wauconda really play. How could you ignore their best offensive weapon?

If you think this is a whitewash I’m hoping the PR players don’t. If they do it’ll be uni turn in time Monday. Wauconda is legit.
Kind of wondering why machesney park Harlem is not being mentioned as a contender in 6a? They seem like a solid team. Maybe because they don’t have a winning playoff history.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT