ADVERTISEMENT

Rochester vs Cardinal Ritter (Week 2)

When Rochester got smashed by Loyola, the biggest thing was that both of their lines were utterly dominated.

If that is the case on Friday, it will be a very long night for the Rockets.
Loyola also had greater speed at nearly every skill position. That is what the Rockets will also face in Ritter.

This will be a humbler game for the Rockets and will hopefully keep them grounded for a long upcoming season with several more closely matched teams.

Why is Rochester playing this game? Were there no Illinois teams that would schedule them?

Reactions: cigaros
Leonard had only a couple days to prep for LA. He has had several months for this game. Curious to see what schemes he brings into this game.
It won’t matter if both lines are getting blown up.
But if their lines can hang, than it *could* be a shootout type game.
Either way, Ritter is a pretty heavy favorite obviously.

Why is Rochester playing this game? Were there no Illinois teams that would schedule them?
Derek said last week that the Simeon game came together very late in the process, and he had thought until then that Week 1 was also going to end up against an out of state opponent.

The Rockets will play a team from Indiana Week 1 in both '25 and '26.

I think they have Batavia on the schedule for Week 2 in '26 and '27.

Gibson Southern, located in Fort Branch which is in the southern part of the state.
Gibson Southern beat Mt. Carmel Golden Aces 42-6 in week one of this year. They are coming off a year in which they made it to the 3A state semi-finals. 3A in Indiana last season appeared to be include schools with total enrollment of approximately 500-800 students.

Derek said last week that the Simeon game came together very late in the process, and he had thought until then that Week 1 was also going to end up against an out of state opponent.

The Rockets will play a team from Indiana Week 1 in both '25 and '26.

I think they have Batavia on the schedule for Week 2 in '26 and '27.
Correct.

Reactions: cigaros
Ritter played Naz a while ago and it was a entertaining game at Naz. JJ was playing. I think Ritter won but don't remember.

Reactions: rocketnation
Ritter played Naz a while ago and it was a entertaining game at Naz. JJ was playing. I think Ritter won but don't remember.
Cardinal Ritter vs. Illinois (per the MSHSAA website)

2021: Win 30-28 vs. Cahokia, IL
2021: Loss 20-30 vs. Joliet Catholic Academy (Joliet, IL)
2019: Forfeit Loss 0-13 vs. Nazareth Academy (LaGrange Park, IL) [Entire schedule for 2019 is listed as "FL" forfeit loss.]
2019: Forfeit Loss 0-13 vs. Granite City, IL
2019: Forfeit Loss 0-13 vs. Althoff Catholic (Belleville, IL)
2018: Win 20-12 vs. Cahokia, IL
2018: Win 52-9 vs. Althoff Catholic (Belleville, IL)
2017: Win 48-21 vs. Marquette Academy (Ottawa, IL)

Ritter appears to have around 330 students, while Rochester is near 700.
All.... I actually have some numbers I was going to post a few hours ago. Ritter's latest enrollment is 371. They are a co-deucational school. If one was to use Ihsa rules with the multiplier that would put them at 612.15. Class 4A using last years postseason qualifiers. They have back to back championships in 22 and 23 but using the Ihsa rules once in again and how Illinois has the two year enrollment lock no success factor added for 2024.

The Lions are currently ranked #8 in the Missouri top ten according to Massey. As a comparison (only) my friends at CBC have an all male enrollment of 849. They would get a lot of "stuff" using Ihsa rules. Their formula. All male school enrollment is doubled and then multiplied putting them in also using the 2023 qualifier list Class 8A. Kind of a moot point.... Having made the state final three straight years the success factor would of went into action in 2023. But their enrollment in 2021 and 2022 would still have them in class 8A. Good thing their isn't a class 9A. A comedian I'm not. Don't believe they could of had that much success playing in Illinois. But who knows. The Cadets by the way are ranked #3 in Missouri.

Will this be a good and competitive game? The Lions are showing a small roster and I would not think like the "big" schools platoon or play hardly anyone on both sides of the ball. We will see. Ratsy

Last edited:

2019: Forfeit Loss 0-13 vs. Nazareth Academy (LaGrange Park, IL) [Entire schedule for 2019 is listed as "FL" forfeit loss.]
Went to the game in St Louis when they played JCA. It wasn't one of Ritters better teams and JCA was playing without Jordan Anderson. If I remember correctly, JCA was up 30-9 early 4th quarter and Ritter scored two td's to make the score appear a little closer than the game actually was. Ritter was a very solid team. Physical and lots of speed.

2019 was the Marvin Burks scandal.

That comment did not age well
It very easily could have been the score, but for the Rocket defense playing so unexpectedly well. I'm glad to be wrong on that one. But look me in the eye and tell me you were proud of the offensive effort.

Oh...and I'm still more on target then the posters who predicted a Rocket victory.

It turned out to not be. Ritter won 28-10. That rocket defense is pretty amazing
ROCHESTER - When you lose your starting QB in the first quarter and only score 3 points the rest of the way ... it's a long night. Just ask Coach Leonard and the Rocket faithful.

75114256007-parker-jamarion.jpg

Parker ran for 160 and two TD's

ROCHESTER - When you lose your starting QB in the first quarter and only score 3 points the rest of the way ... it's a long night. Just ask Coach Leonard and the Rocket faithful.

75114256007-parker-jamarion.jpg

Parker ran for 160 and two TD's
Those RBs were beasts for CR. Along with the QB, they were provided some great protection by that behemoth line. The Rochester D did a great job coralling the CR horses for a quarter and a half before finally being worn down.

It very easily could have been the score, but for the Rocket defense playing so unexpectedly well. I'm glad to be wrong on that one. But look me in the eye and tell me you were proud of the offensive effort.

Oh...and I'm still more on target then the posters who predicted a Rocket victory.
I thought a shootout was more likely than a battle of defenses.

The Rocket defense was outstanding, especially considering the size difference up front and that Ritter had a huge time of possession advantage.

Ritter's defense was excellent against the run all night. When Zulauf was hurt, that became critical. The backup did as well as could be expected, considering this was his first meaningful varsity experience and was still playing DB.

Those RBs were beasts for CR. Along with the QB, they were provided some great protection by that behemoth line. The Rochester D did a great job coralling the CR horses for a quarter and a half before finally being worn down.
I agree. The Rocket D played well in the first half. Second half, not so much.

Rochester will rebound from this and Coach Leonard will have his team ready for another deep run come playoff time.

Reactions: FB1976
I thought a shootout was more likely than a battle of defenses.

The Rocket defense was outstanding, especially considering the size difference up front and that Ritter had a huge time of possession advantage.

Ritter's defense was excellent against the run all night. When Zulauf was hurt, that became critical. The backup did as well as could be expected, considering this was his first meaningful varsity experience and was still playing DB.
A big positive from this game is lots of good play to build on. Thankfully, the Rockets will not see this size or speed for the rest of the season. I'm still shocked at the size of that right OT....I guess Orlando Pace never left St. Louis!

CS8 coaches in analyzing this game film will, again, find themselves in the unenviable position of having to plan an attack against an intransigent Rocket defense.

The offense will be a big question, but one I can't wait to see the answer to. DL and KL will come up with something brilliant, I'm sure.

A big positive from this game is lots of good play to build on. Thankfully, the Rockets will not see this size or speed for the rest of the season. I'm still shocked at the size of that right OT....I guess Orlando Pace never left St. Louis!

CS8 coaches in analyzing this game film will, again, find themselves in the unenviable position of having to plan an attack against an intransigent Rocket defense.

The offense will be a big question, but one I can't wait to see the answer to. DL and KL will come up with something brilliant, I'm sure.
“Intransigent”? Cmon dude I haven’t even had my coffee yet. Ha.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT