ADVERTISEMENT

Referee shortage nationwide and some of the reasons why

In Nashville everything is paid thru Arbiter, often paid that night and almost always within a few days.. if a school doesn't have us paid in 7 days we contact assigner and they will not assign their games until cleared up.. Charter schools are the one exception because of how they are set up, so they are allowed to pay until a few days after their next board meeting, but we also get $10 a game more so nobody complains.

In Nashville everything is paid thru Arbiter, often paid that night and almost always within a few days.. if a school doesn't have us paid in 7 days we contact assigner and they will not assign their games until cleared up.. Charter schools are the one exception because of how they are set up, so they are allowed to pay until a few days after their next board meeting, but we also get $10 a game more so nobody complains.
In 15 years of umpiring I’ve never had an issue collecting a check. Nowadays the assignor collects all the payments and sends out a large check a couple times a season.

If I’ve ever not collected a check a couple weeks after the game I’ve emailed the AD and a check is sent out immediately.

people make mistakes. as long as I get the check…no biggy.

Reactions: Gene K.
LTHS:
That's not what he's referring to, no one is asking for pre-pay. Officials have often been paid weeks, months and sometimes a year later. One school, Proviso East, is notorious for slow pay/no pay. I've been told it's because of a fued dating back to 1910.
No pay at Provo East has happened to me

Concerning timely pay for umpires:

Riverside Brookfield (NOTE - I live in Riverside): Game on 5 April 2022. Check written 10 May 2022.

One of the Valley schools - Paid on the field.

Wheaton Warrenville schools- In my arbiter account within 24 hours of game.

Immaculate Conception - On Field

Most other schools have check sent within 5 - 10 days. Now USPS getting it from the school to my house is a whole other story.

Concerning timely pay for umpires:

Riverside Brookfield (NOTE - I live in Riverside): Game on 5 April 2022. Check written 10 May 2022.

One of the Valley schools - Paid on the field.

Wheaton Warrenville schools- In my arbiter account within 24 hours of game.

Immaculate Conception - On Field

Most other schools have check sent within 5 - 10 days. Now USPS getting it from the school to my house is a whole other story.
I used to live in Riverside! Great town and great people!

Historically, most of the Catholic schools will have a check ready for you. A good number of public schools are like that as well these days. A few times in the past couple of years the AD sends it through Arbiter Pay after the game. You don’t get it until Monday, because of the weekend, but big deal there.

Historically, most of the Catholic schools will have a check ready for you. A good number of public schools are like that as well these days. A few times in the past couple of years the AD sends it through Arbiter Pay after the game. You don’t get it until Monday, because of the weekend, but big deal there.
So you're saying Catholic schools are better at paying the refs?! 😏

High school football teams and conferences in the greater Chicago area will be / have been informed that varsity schedules will include Thursday nights and Saturdays. There are currently not enough crews to fill all Friday night games. The GCA has 30 less crews (150 officials) than last year. More conferences are asking varsity officials to cover the prelim Soph game at a time when most are 50 years of age and older. Veteran crews will decline that request and be replaced by new / less experienced officials only because it accommodates the assigners.
The 2022 match up between Glenbard West and Hinsdale Central will take place on Thursday October 20th. GW will be coming off a Saturday game, so curious as to why they agreed to Thursday. But smart on both schools expecting to be in the playoffs to get 8 full days between games.

Reactions: OLcoach65
Anyone familiar with a certain CCL school's 'Father's Club' about the size of a small storage room just off the shop room garage?
Reminds me of a certain school that I did a baseball sectional at a few years back.The restroom they had us use we walked through this storage room that had to have 20-25 cases of Miller Lite in it. Plus 10-15 cases of other brands of beer

Reminds me of a certain school that I did a baseball sectional at a few years back.The restroom they had us use we walked through this storage room that had to have 20-25 cases of Miller Lite in it. Plus 10-15 cases of other brands of beer
WOW!! Talk about some perks! :D

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT