ADVERTISEMENT

Ref question

circletrack32

Nov 11, 2003
If a targeting call is made in a HS game is the player ejected or is that just college and nfl?

Rule 2.20.2 Targeting is an act by any player who takes aim and initiates contact against an opponent above the shoulders with the helmet, forearm, hand, fist, elbow or shoulders.

There is no such thing as helmet to helmet, that is announcer speak. Helmets will hit. In high school we have illegal helmet contact. Rule 2.20.1

A player is not ejected for targeting but rather he is disqualified. And it is not an automatic disqualification. The best refs use “Foricibly, illegal contact above the shoulders.” It is best not to use the word helmet, That way, if it is a helmet, hand, forearm, etc, all the bases are covered.

Reactions: ref2
A player is not ejected for targeting but rather he is disqualified. And it is not an automatic disqualification. The best refs use “Foricibly, illegal contact above the shoulders.” It is best not to use the word helmet, That way, if it is a helmet, hand, forearm, etc, all the bases are covered.
As we like to say. I never eject anyone, they have disqualified themselves from the contest

Figured I would bump this thread instead of making another. What should the enforcement of an offensive facemask be if the line to gain had been crossed?

Figured I would bump this thread instead of making another. What should the enforcement of an offensive facemask be if the line to gain had been crossed?
5 or 15? If the penalty is on offense then it would wipe out the first down in most cases.

After the first down, the first down was earned and then walk off from the spot of the foul for a 1st and 10.

Reactions: Gene K.
Depends where the foul occurs. If it occurs 16yds beyond the line to gain, next play will be first and 10. If it’s 10yds beyond you might have 2nd and five. It’s a spot foul on any running play

Reactions: PowerI66
It typically would carry a double penalty (personal foul) that would result
I’m an ejection and removal from the next contest.

After the first down, the first down was earned and then walk off from the spot of the foul for a 1st and 10.
This would only be true if it was a dead ball foul. If they gain enough yardage with the play for a first, but the penalty yardage takes them back behind the line to gain they aren’t going to have a first down(unless that play was a first down play since you’re repeating the down)

This would only be true if it was a dead ball foul. If they gain enough yardage with the play for a first, but the penalty yardage takes them back behind the line to gain they aren’t going to have a first down(unless that play was a first down play since you’re repeating the down)
If it’s 3rd and 2 and the play was a 60 yd run in which the facemask happened 40 yards down the field, the penalty is enforced 40 yards down field. 1st and 10

If it’s 3rd and 2 and the play was a 60 yd run in which the facemask happened 40 yards down the field, the penalty is enforced 40 yards down field. 1st and 10
Correct. Your previous post said “after the first down was earned then walk off from the spot” which made it sound as if you’re rewarding a first before you enforce the foul, which would only be true if it were a dead ball foul. If it were 3rd & 2 and they gain 40 with the foul being 16yds from the line of scrimmage it will be 3rd and one

Not sure if this is what you are asking. But if you want to know if it is an automatic first down ? the answer is no. The only automatic first downs begin with the word "Roughing"

Correct. Your previous post said “after the first down was earned then walk off from the spot” which made it sound as if you’re rewarding a first before you enforce the foul, which would only be true if it were a dead ball foul. If it were 3rd & 2 and they gain 40 with the foul being 16yds from the line of scrimmage it will be 3rd and one
I could have said that better. We’re on the same page 👊

Reactions: Chief321
Not sure if this is what you are asking. But if you want to know if it is an automatic first down ? the answer is no. The only automatic first downs begin with the word "Roughing"
I was not, just wanted to know if it was enforced correctly more than anything else. Thanks everyone for the in depth answers!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT