ADVERTISEMENT

Ranting about home field posting

Frankly, I don't have a big problem with the way that seeding is conducted. My beef is with the number of classes and qualifiers. If we had fewer classes and fewer qualifiers, then the playoffs would really be determining the best of the best, as opposed to the best of them all.

My solution, short of cutting back on the number of classes and the size of the overall playoff field, is to stick with the seeding system as is, be consistent across the board, and let the better seed host no matter what. Within the construct of that system, they earned that right.

I may not agree with letting the higher seed host no matter what, but I definitely agree that there are too many classes and qualifiers.

Reactions: Wassup13
I have said my peace many times about this issue. The best one can do with the current rules is to give the higher seed the option of hosting round one.

Why not make the higher seed the host all the time? Why reward a team in a weak conference playing a weak schedule. The IHSA would have to create a formula accounting for strength of schedule, historical data, non-transitive score comparisons and then subject that formula to endless debates because it will never be right.

The current situation in Illinois HS Football has schools manipulating their non-con schedule and manipulating their conference alignments just to get to the Magic 5-4 playoff number or the guaranteed spot with a 6-3 record. Athletic Directors have a tough enough time getting non-conference games in this environment. Now everyone wants to add higher seeds always hosting. There are not enough cream puffs to go around.

Bottom line, since 1974, has there ever been a non-deserving State Champion. You can talk about some teams that got a bad draw or woulda coulda shouldas all day long but at the end of the day, the once 5, then 6, and then 8 teams that stand on the podium at the end of the season deserve to be Champions for running the 5 game gauntlet with whatever set of rules are in place at that time. I do not want to hear this team or that team should have been state champions, all the schools we cheer for have that one team that screwed over. Tell me instead, of the list of champions, who does not belong?

At least I know not to come back here looking for times

Loyola having to play on the road for the quarters and semis is a head scratcher. I have no problem with LA, a #6 seed, playing at Marist since Marist was a better seed. E'ville, OTOH, is a #26 seed. AND, they just played a quarterfinal game at home against a higher seed.

Because of IHSA playoff hosting logic, such as it is, we've got a #26 seed hosting the quarters and the semis against teams with better seeds, and a #6 seed playing on the road for the quarters and the semis.

Once again, the IHSA concepts of "logic" and "fairness" leave me scratching my head.
Ramblinman I feel your pain. PR is the #1 seed and also will be playing their Second road game of the playoffs in the semi’s.
What is the point of seeding if you don’t play at home against a lower seed?
I think the IHSA playoffs with 8 classes including public and private is good in itself. The seeding process could use some tweaking and the lower seed earning a home game is awful.

@ramblinman just wait till they let everyone in the playoffs next year? Imagine going on the road to face a team with 2 or 3 wins in Rd 2!

If Loyola was hosting, most of this thread would go away...
Maybe or maybe not. Ramblinman is not speaking to LA but to the entire process of hosting. At a minimum, one would have to at least be thoughtful of his argument. As Edgy stated, there are many complaints for so long. It obviously is an issue.

Reactions: ramblinman
Wrong as usual. Am I not using OTHER examples BESIDES Loyola?

Go do something anatomically impossible to yourself.

This is annoying enough for me. It's funny to watch people complain yet do jack about it. Just complain. No action.

Meh.

Well, some of us were whining, b&^%$tching and complaining about horrible quads; some of us spoke to coaches who then spoke with other coaches who then spoke with administrators who then spoke with other administrators . . . blah, blah, blah.

And, lo' and behold, we now have 1 - 32 seeding for 7 and 8A, respectively. Not saying this board was responsible, but Edgy's board did provide us a voice--and in the end, it worked out.

Ramblinman--contact your local politicians, school coaches and administrators!

Last edited:
Wrong as usual. Am I not using OTHER examples BESIDES Loyola?

Go do something anatomically impossible to yourself.

Nah, it’s more fun watching you twist yourself in knots over perceived offenses.

Even Edgy like the post!!

Reactions: PRokie
Let's play the first half of the game at the lower seed home and then drive to the higher seed home and play the second half.

Just kidding.

Reactions: Bowie50
We have driven 3 hours for semis

As have I. For the semis the IHSA has to balance the 8 crews who are working a final to make sure they don't work in that same class. Can make for some long travel. We worked a 2A semi before our 7A final one season.

LA will travel 289 miles compared to Eville's 299 to Huntley.

The seeding is screwy - I think they can develop/buy an algorithm for better seeding and think of a better hosting scenario too.

It isn't even about the travel. It's about hosting and the IHSA consciously deciding to give lower seeded teams that win a break. This is no mistake or oversight on their part.

Show me where you see me complaining about SEEDING. My complaint/rant is with the HOSTING policy.

-If they hosted simply by higher seed you would be ranting today about the injustice it is to Providence that they have to play 4 consecutive road games when they are clearly better than a 13 seed.

- If the coaches voted on seeds you would be complaining about how the coaches do not know what they are doing and certain coaches are showing bias in their seeding of teams.

- If they went to a mathematical formula for seeding you would bitch about how that formula is flawed.

-If they hosted simply by higher seed you would be ranting today about the injustice it is to Providence that they have to play 4 consecutive road games when they are clearly better than a 13 seed.

- If the coaches voted on seeds you would be complaining about how the coaches do not know what they are doing and certain coaches are showing bias in their seeding of teams.

- If they went to a mathematical formula for seeding you would bitch about how that formula is flawed.

This post pretty much covers exactly what I think, as someone stated before I can’t remember an undeserving team winning a title simply due to an easy draw/ home field advantage. At some point every team team is going to have to play and win tough games.

Reactions: RockSoup
I like the current home field playoff system. For instance Providence plays in one of the state's toughest conferences, the CCL Blue.

They went 5-4 during the regular season and I believe rightly so get to host a semifinal game.

I like this current system.
But half of their losses were to non blue teams.

But half of their losses were to non blue teams.
So no problem then. A state championship team should be able to win on the road, especially a #2 seed vs a #13 seed. In 6A the lowest seed in each side of the bracket is #16. I mean 16th seed Hinsdale South had no problem winning on the road vs #1 seed Crete Monee. And #13 PC had no problem beating the #8 seed on the road. Naz is obviously better than a #16 and #13 seed so there's no problem.
For those keeping score at home, PCs other two losses which were conveniently omitted from the above post were ESL at ESL and the #1 team for most of the year in Missouri Vianney (currently 8th and done for the year).
So we can play obtuse all week long or just admit the current seeding system is horribly flawed and should not be considered as any reason to host.

Don't worry we are going to add another 256 teams so everyone makes the playoffs and we will have teams that don't win a game get in the playoffs. Because everyone deserves a chance and a right to play in the playoffs - forget about earning that right ? Or maybe the IHSA just wants to make more money on the football playoffs? More games equals more money ? So lets water down the competition. We have less kids playing football than ever before and more struggling to field teams......I am thinking that trend continues. Maybe we ought to limit and reduce the number of teams that make it. And have less games of higher quality with better team! So let's look forward to an 0-8 team hosting game a semi-final game soon! Brought to you buy they hey everyone gets a trophy and " we made the IHSA state playoffs t-shirt" .........crowd.........

Reactions: MIKEFTB and Bowie50
Don't worry we are going to add another 256 teams so everyone makes the playoffs and we will have teams that don't win a game get in the playoffs. Because everyone deserves a chance and a right to play in the playoffs - forget about earning that right ? Or maybe the IHSA just wants to make more money on the football playoffs? More games equals more money ? So lets water down the competition. We have less kids playing football than ever before and more struggling to field teams......I am thinking that trend continues. Maybe we ought to limit and reduce the number of teams that make it. And have less games of higher quality with better team! So let's look forward to an 0-8 team hosting game a semi-final game soon! Brought to you buy they hey everyone gets a trophy and " we made the IHSA state playoffs t-shirt" .........crowd.........

Not to mention added travel expenses for the away team and the IHSA taking 70% of the admissions from the home schools.

The IHSA has had a mathematical formula for seeding the football playoff brackets for many years. I'm reasonably certain I've never bitched about that.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT