ADVERTISEMENT

Ranting about home field posting

Per the MS athletic director's twitter feed:

The IHSA semi final football game between Maine South and Lincoln Way East will be played next Saturday, November 18 at Lincoln East HS at 6:00 pm.

5A: Dunlap @ Washington - Saturday, 3 PM
1A: Forreston @ Lena-Winslow - Saturday, 2 PM

Last edited:
Reactions: EdgyTim
LA heading down to Edwardsville
... and there's a flag on the Ramblers.

Loyola having to play on the road for the quarters and semis is a head scratcher. I have no problem with LA, a #6 seed, playing at Marist since Marist was a better seed. E'ville, OTOH, is a #26 seed. AND, they just played a quarterfinal game at home against a higher seed.

Because of IHSA playoff hosting logic, such as it is, we've got a #26 seed hosting the quarters and the semis against teams with better seeds, and a #6 seed playing on the road for the quarters and the semis.

Once again, the IHSA concepts of "logic" and "fairness" leave me scratching my head.

Last edited:
It doesn't matter. LA will beat eddy!

Wouldn't you rather beat them at home?

This will be Loyola's third semifinal game in the past four years. In all of those games, LA has played on the road despite having a better seed than the host. It's just plain stupid that a team with the better seed plays on the road in the semis (or any playoff game other than the final for that matter).

Last edited:
Loyola having to play on the road for the quarters and semis is a head scratcher. I have no problem with LA, a #6 seed, playing at Marist since Marist was a better seed. E'ville, OTOH, is a #26 seed. AND, they just played a quarterfinal game at home against a higher seed.

Because of IHSA playoff hosting logic, such as it is, we've got a #26 seed hosting the quarters and the semis against teams with better seeds, and a #6 seed playing on the road for the quarters and the semis.

Once again, the IHSA concepts of "logic" and "fairness" leave me scratching my head.

Ok we get it you don't like the whole determining home field deal....join the never ending long line of complaints

Last edited:
Its not like this is only against Loyola. The home field determination sucks for everyone

Reactions: AMBofQUAN
Unless you seed differently I have no problem with how home field is determined. You would need some sort of human element to determine who is truly the 1-32 seeds.

If a 6-3 team makes it into the playoffs and wins two games on the road then maybe they should have been seeded higher.

Reactions: MC63
There is no other better way except to have the higher seed host. Rochester will host the 4th time because all the higher seeds in their bracket hosted and won and now Highland who is a #2 seed and has hosted 3 times as has Rochester and now comes to Rochester the #1 seed...this is where the higher seed philosophy we'd all love to see comes into play. I didn't foresee #26 seed E'Ville coming up here and beating #7 Huntley and #23 Palatine.

I like the current home field playoff system. For instance Providence plays in one of the state's toughest conferences, the CCL Blue.

They went 5-4 during the regular season and I believe rightly so get to host a semifinal game.

I like this current system.

Reactions: 4hhsbulldogs
I like the current home field playoff system. For instance Providence plays in one of the state's toughest conferences, the CCL Blue.

They went 5-4 during the regular season and I believe rightly so get to host a semifinal game.

Even though Naz is 11-1, a #2 seed and also plays in a very difficult conference? And even though Naz was just on the road to play SHG in the quarters?

How can you like a system that would have a #2 seed team NOT hosting EITHER a quarter or a semi game?

Reactions: jtrailblazer7

That's how I see it. Some teams play in tougher conferences (as you mentioned) and some play tough opponents in the first couple of weeks. Should they be penalized for that if they lose some games? I don't think so. Some seem to imply that a team that's seeded #32 should never get a home game in the playoffs.

Reactions: Wassup13
Even though Naz is 11-1, a #2 seed and also plays in a very difficult conference? And even though Naz was just on the road to play SHG in the quarters?

How can you like a system that would have a #2 seed team NOT hosting EITHER a quarter or a semi game?

I just feel the current system is best. There are changes I am for and that's going back to 6 classes with less teams making the playoffs and having a true 1-32 seeding for all classes getting rid of the geography factor.

I would also get rid of the success factor which I think is plain stupid but let teams continue to decide what class they want to play in as long as it's higher than the class they are in.

Some seem to imply that a team that's seeded #32 should never get a home game in the playoffs.

I'm not implying that at all. I am stating it emphatically.

Explain to me why a #32 team should ever host a playoff game. Take the example of a 5-4 #32 that beats a #1 9-0 CPL team on the road in round one. Why does that alone qualify them to host the next game? What about the next game against the #16 seeded 7-2 team that played at home and beat another 7-2 team seeded #17 in a much tougher game? Why should #32 get to host over #16?

If #17 won that round 1 game against #16, then #17 would host the second round game against #32 because #17 was on the road in round 1 just like #32.

Anyway you slice it, it just makes no sense.

Explain to me why a #32 team should ever host a playoff game. Take the example of a 5-4 #32 that beats a #1 9-0 CPL team on the road in round one. Why does that alone qualify them to host the next game? What about the next game against the #16 seeded 7-2 team that played at home and beat another 7-2 team seeded #17 in a much tougher game? Why should #32 get to host over #16?

Bottom line......It's their rules....

I just feel the current system is best. There are changes I am for and that's going back to 6 classes with less teams making the playoffs and having a true 1-32 seeding for all classes getting rid of the geography factor.

I would also get rid of the success factor which I think is plain stupid but let teams continue to decide what class they want to play in as long as it's higher than the class they are in.

Sorry, I'm not letting you off that easily. I asked you how you can like a system that has a #2 seed not hosting either the quarterfinal or semifinal games, and your response is that you just feel the current system is best.

That's like a kid answering a why question with the word "because."

I can't see how anyone can like such a system, and I am trying to understand why others do.

If #17 won that round 1 game against #16, then #17 would host the second round game against #32 because #17 was on the road in round 1 just like #32.

You make a good point. The example that you used does seem unfair to the #16 seeded team, however I also don't see the fairness in a #32 seed being required to play four away games (assuming they win) no matter what. Perhaps the issue is in the seeding itself? As mentioned earlier in the thread, should some of these 5-4 and 6-3 be seeded higher and some of the 9-0 teams seeded lower because of a weaker schedule? What's your solution?

You make a good point. The example that you used does seem unfair to the #16 seeded team, however I also don't see the fairness in a #32 seed being required to play four away games (assuming they win) no matter what. Perhaps the issue is in the seeding itself? As mentioned earlier in the thread, should some of these 5-4 and 6-3 be seeded higher and some of the 9-0 teams seeded lower because of a weaker schedule? What's your solution?

Frankly, I don't have a big problem with the way that seeding is conducted. My beef is with the number of classes and qualifiers. If we had fewer classes and fewer qualifiers, then the playoffs would really be determining the best of the best, as opposed to the best of them all.

My solution, short of cutting back on the number of classes and the size of the overall playoff field, is to stick with the seeding system as is, be consistent across the board, and let the better seed host no matter what. Within the construct of that system, they earned that right.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT