ADVERTISEMENT

Rank These Sports

Wassup13

Nov 9, 2002
In order from the number of minutes of ACTION you actually get to see during an average game.

Rank most minutes to least minutes sports for Soccer, Baseball, Hockey, Football and Basketball and give me an estimated number of minutes for each sport.

Last break down going to a 3 hour baseball game and tell me what you are doing during the game breaking it down by percentages (including game action)??

Last edited:
Posted before you made the edits. No clue on percentages but based my answers over length of game and continuous action.

Baseball, you talking watching a game live or on TV? Live in between pitches I'm usually checking the board each time for mph, stats on board, other scores. May be using at bat app for other stats. But I'm a baseball junkie and it's by far my favorite sport.

It's debatable but I also consider every pitch in baseball "action" but I know other don't. If you do, I think baseball has more actual playing "action" then football with the short spurt plays and play clock.

I chose soccer because of the 90 minute play time (made up with extra time). Basketball is 48 min? Hockey 60

Soccer aficionados usually begin this conversation, making it a point to criticize football (while ignoring baseball). Obviously hockey blows away everything with its frantic pace and non-stop line changes.
But you asked for a ranking, so I’ll say:
1. Hockey
2. Basketball
3. Football (take away TV time-outs and it’s #2)
4. Soccer (teams sitting on a 2-0 lead should be shot)
5. Two turtles humping
6. Baseball

Reactions: Gene K.
Soccer aficionados usually begin this conversation, making it a point to criticize football (while ignoring baseball). Obviously hockey blows away everything with its frantic pace and non-stop line changes.
But you asked for a ranking, so I’ll say:
1. Hockey
2. Basketball
3. Football (take away TV time-outs and it’s #2)
4. Soccer (teams sitting on a 2-0 lead should be shot)
5. Two turtles humping
6. Baseball
I'm pretty sure football has the least amount of actual playing time.

I'm pretty sure football has the least amount of actual playing time.

Depends how you define it. I guess a marathon would be tops, as you can’t have explosive action without two-to-three times as much recovery time.

I would think hockey and soccer are close. Hockey is the only major sport where changes are made and action doesn't stop while they're being made.

If you throw auto racing in there that may actually have the most "action" without a stoppage.

But to rank, you are going to get pretty much 60 minutes of action in hockey. So, I'll take that. In hockey and basketball, when the whistle blows the clock stops. That isn't always true in soccer and football. I am not sure if the clock ever stops in soccer from a whistle. Maybe someone can help me there. So, in hockey and basketball you will get pretty close to the time allotted for each game vs action during that time.

Baseball is a different sport altogether. The only "clock" you have are the outs. And sometimes it takes longer to get 3 or 27 outs in one game than it does another.

But, what I like most about baseball over hockey, basketball, football and soccer is this. In baseball, the man scores the runs. He can hit the ball over the fence. But until he touches home plate the run isn't registered. You have to touch all bases in succession too. You can't skip any and you must run them in order.

In all those other sports the ball or puck does the scoring. Even when a guy scores a TD or a safety in football, the points don't count till the ball either breaks the plane going in or fails to break the plane going out.

Last edited:
Soccer (unless a lot of injury time, my guess is HS doesn't milk it like the pros)
Hockey
Basketball
Baseball (takes to damn long, prefer lacrosse and I guess every pitch counts as action)
Football

Football depends on the style of play but my high school and college coaches basically always said 6 seconds of action per play. Using just and average of 50-60 plays per team, counting special teams. So 110 plays gives you about 11 minutes of actual action during a high school game

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT